Annette L.
Germany
flag msg tools
So I got the game last week (played three times and really love it!) and based on several discussions here in the forum knew beforehand about the threat of resource marker bumping. I tried to think of a cheaper and simpler solution than buying an acrylic overlay and this is what I came up with. If anybody wrote here about something similar - sorry, did not see it.

I bought 2 sheets of magnetic foil with a white backside (2 only because we will play this game mostly with 2 players) and a thickness of about 1 mm. Because I don't know if I should combine the magnetic side with glue, I also bought double-sided tape. I measured the foil, cut it (which was very easy!) and also clipped off the corners with a thing that I don't know the name of but which does this ;-). Then I taped it to a player board and tested it with some (neodym?) magnets. Unfortunately we only did have these round ones, I would have liked a cube shape better.

Btw, using magnetic foil taped to a resource marker doesn't really work because the magnet is too weak. Maybe I will change out the magnetic balls against something different. But for now I'm quite satisfied. :-) Cost around 4 € per mat, I could also have made two slightly smaller magnetic backsides out of two foils but as I only really need two I preferred a completely even backside.

Are there any other solutions other than acrylic or wooden overlay out there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josef Sannholm
Sweden
Uddevalla
flag msg tools
Check out my Youtube channel, Boardgames with Niramas for Board game Runthroughs and Unboxings!
badge
www.Youtube.com/c/BoardgameswithNiramas
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is my solution, works well and both easy and quick to do

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Thomas
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice work. Instead of using double sided tape I managed to snag some "sticky backed" magnetised rubber from the same place that sells scrap booking supplies and drilled out some square beads and stuck the magnets in with hot glue.

Heres a picture:

These aren't the original player mats. I printed out and laminated my own copies so there was no chance of ruining the originals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.