First Martians: Adventures on the Red Planet» Forums » General

Subject: Choose Your Own Adventure - Rescue Team rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nightfall 23
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Was wondering what are your thoughts in regards to the choose your own adventure book included as a pre-order bonus?

I went through it and absolutely loved it, I used to read CYOA books when I was a kid and didnt notice how much I was missing them until I read this one.

In any case, Ignacy, if you read this: any chance of an in-game scenario that follows up on the story? or maybe even a second part?

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Mayo
United States
Schertz
TX
flag msg tools
You can go off and rule the universe from beyond the grave.
badge
Or check into a psycho ward, which ever comes first, huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to trying it out. Set up last night to start the first campaign, so I might do it as a break afterward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. B.
France
Cannes
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a small mistake in paragraph 12, the last two options are the same but lead to different paragraphs.
The last option should read "...and you didn't use..."

Interesting adventure otherwise.

campaign spoilers
Spoiler (click to reveal)
at first I was hoping the rescue signal was coming from the crew of one of the Campaigns and would have given a different resolution to their story

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Calcagno
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My impressions...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
All in all I enjoyed it. I lost 3 or 4 times (once shot when I fought back like an idiot) before I won. I only got there "at the last moment, so I never encountered "the other ending with more time, without revealing that here...") (I read through to see what I missed afterwards.) I kind of thought the 4 epilogues were too similar to each other and a little weak, but okay. A few typos here and there, but the epilogues were not written as clearly as they could have been...way too disjointed and seemed a bit rushed). It was a fun time, though.

I kind of thought the Chinese were a little too adversarial, and the rescue could have been more "humane" from the start...maybe make the astronaut come up with 1 or 2 engineering solutions from predicaments he (she?) found Him/herself in as he drove out. ...Could have been almost out of resources on the drive back and had to scrounge parts at all those crashed probe sites he saw on the way in......

This also would have been a great place to add much needed humor (aka what they did in The Martian) at the expense of a few more paragraphs or sentences to breathe life into the experience. Sure, give a nod to disco, or commenting on how being away from one of the annoying guys back at the HUB was nice for a change... or something like that. Overall, I'd give it a B+.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus T.
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What's the difference between this, and the campaign?

And as a solo-player, which would should I do first (this or the campaign)?

I just finished the introduction mission so I need to do a few more missions before proceeding to the big stuff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Szyma
Poland
Pszczyna (Pless)
Oberschlesien - Górny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
It's a completely separate adventure, not related with any scenario nor campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orcmeal
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
We got the book from Ignacy when we bought the game from him at SPIEL in Essen last month - we just read/played through it, and loved it. It's like another mission, but in a different format. Congratulations and thank you Rafal for writing this!

We also managed to complete the mission on our second attempt. It's a good length to complete in a single game session in an evening, took us about two hours total. We liked the different epilogues, and their "news flash" style. The English translation is done really well (unlike the app, which is a bit rough in places in the English version). laugh

The story really captures the atmosphere on Mars well. It's much shorter than your typical "Fighting Fantasy" or "Lone Wolf" CYOA book if you remember those, but offers interesting mechanics, challenges and decisions.

You can use the board game mat and markers to track your progress as suggested in the book, but you really don't need to. We played it in bed with pencil, paper, and just the two malfunction dice from the game that you need occasionally.

Like with every CYOA book, write down the number of each paragraph you get to. It helps getting back into the book after a break or if you misread something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.