Subject: WW1 movies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Belgium
Sint-Joost-ten-Noode
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi,

I've just watched Beneath Hill 60 and I'm looking for more historically accurate WW1 movies.
I've watched Lawrence of Arabia alreadh, though I'm not sure how accurate that one is.

It doesnt need to be movies where fighting occurs, i enjoyed King's speech very much (albeit ww2)

Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Чебурашка, ты настоящий друг!
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
Scheiß Inselaffen!
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know about the accuracy, but Paths of Glory with Kirk Douglas is great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Lloyd
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Lost Battalion is pretty good. Just ignore the pithy antiwar scene at the end and you'll be okay.

Lawrence of Arabia is mostly accurate, though a little overwrought. It is based on the Seven Pillars of Wisdom, which is entirely from T.E. Lawrence's point of view.

The remake of All Quiet on the Western Front was good. Technically not historical as any given event is concerned, but still a good soldier's view.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick West
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
"Only two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity....
badge
....and I'm not certain about the universe." Albert Einstein
mbmbmbmbmb
Peter Weir's 1981 film "Gallipoli" starring a very young Mel Gibson is pretty good, being filmed before Mr Gibson became an utter knob (at least as far as I know).

It does modify events for dramatic purposes and contain a number of significant historical inaccuracies, but no worse than most war films and the "feel" is spot on. Gibson's character was apparently based upon Pte. Wilfred Harper of the 10th Light Horse during an action at the Nek.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082432/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
Sint-Joost-ten-Noode
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the recommendations.
Any idea why there's so few ww1 movies compared to ww2?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick West
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It wasn't perceived as "glorious" by the survivors, as everybody pretty much lost. And whilst the Americans were late for both, they weren't quite so late for the replay.

Less American involvement = less commercial films = fewer films made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Joyeux Noël is about the unauthorized 1914 Christmas truce.

Fiction, but realistic enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sommers
United States
Clinton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
woffle wrote:
Any idea why there's so few ww1 movies compared to ww2?

Undoubtedly there were plenty made back then, they just aren't seen any more. Remember, talkies didn't come along until over ten years after the war ended, and color took another ten years or so to first appear. Not many people today want to watch silent black and white movies.

Not many are made today because the war was a long time ago, and modern movie viewers aren't much interested in ancient history. How many Civil War movies are made these days?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sommers
United States
Clinton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
notquitekarpov wrote:
And whilst the Americans were late for both, they weren't quite so late for the replay.

We were not late at all. We had absolutely no obligation whatsoever to enter either war any sooner than we did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick West
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was joking, hence the wink. whistle

I think you did have the obligation to enter WW2 when you did to be honest, given that both Japan and Germany actually declared war on you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samy
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Chaaaarge!!
badge
First Image Ever of a Hydrogen Atom's Electron Cloud
mbmbmbmbmb
With varying degrees of fiction and dramatization, but shows the experience of it:

Doctor Zhivago for Eastern Front/Bolsheviks
Gallipoli for the Australian experience
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jur dj
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Longue Dimanche des Fiancailles (sp?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom0909
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Weir's Gallipoli.
The White Ribbon (2009) was good, and would count as a WWI movie in the same way you might count The Rules of the Game as a WWII movie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dawn Patrol with Erroyl Flynn and Basil Rathbone. Not based on any specific events, but a fine depiction of the stress of aerial combat. Some other air warfare movies worth watching are The Blue Max, The Red Baron, and Flyboys. Mostly worth it for the aerial scenes, rather than historical accuracy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sommers
United States
Clinton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
notquitekarpov wrote:
I was joking, hence the wink. whistle

I wasn't sure exactly what you were winking at. At any rate, At any rate, I've heard the "late" comment made in earnest, and it angers me, so I responded.

Quote:
I think you did have the obligation to enter WW2 when you did to be honest, given that both Japan and Germany actually declared war on you!
[/q]
Well, we could have surrendered immediately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Koff
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my "What's Next?" blog.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hell's Angels (1930, produced and directed by Howard Hughes and starring Jean Harlow) has two fantastic long flying sequences: an extended dogfight and bombing mission, and a Zeppelin raid. It had the highest production cost of any movie to that time. It featured 137 pilots, many of whom had actually flown in WWI, 3 of whom were killed during production along with one flying mechanic. The air combat scenes are not to be missed (but you'll probably want to skip the melodrama of the rest of it, a clunky early talkie.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Phipps
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Gallipoli. The climatic sequence of events comes word for word from the Australian Official History (apart from the individual characters). I remember watching it once with the book open on my lap.

By the way, my upcoming game on Gallipoli is set at the landing at the beginning of the campaign, when the armies were maneuvering and all things were possible. The film shows the "worst" of the trench warfare.

Cheers
Geoff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
geoffreyphipps wrote:
Another vote for Gallipoli. The climatic sequence of events comes word for word from the Australian Official History (apart from the individual characters). I remember watching it once with the book open on my lap.

By the way, my upcoming game on Gallipoli is set at the landing at the beginning of the campaign, when the armies were maneuvering and all things were possible. The film shows the "worst" of the trench warfare.

Cheers
Geoff

I once spent a few days in Gallipoli, at a hostel called the Gallipoli Hostel, which ran the "Gallipoli" movie non-stop (literally). From there I toured the Gallipoli battlefield.

When too much Gallipoli is never enough

Unsurprisingly I have your game on pre-order whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Lewis
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tms2 wrote:
notquitekarpov wrote:
And whilst the Americans were late for both, they weren't quite so late for the replay.

We were not late at all. We had absolutely no obligation whatsoever to enter either war any sooner than we did.

Michael, these issues are much debated for both wars -- political, legal, military, economic, and moral issues abound.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sommers
United States
Clinton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
TCLCATSPAW8MCHS wrote:
tms2 wrote:
notquitekarpov wrote:

Michael, these issues are much debated for both wars -- political, legal, military, economic, and moral issues abound.

That doesn't mean that there is any merit to the claim that the US was "late". Anybody can start a debate about anything. There is also debate about whether the Earth is flat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Lewis
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tms2 wrote:
TCLCATSPAW8MCHS wrote:
tms2 wrote:
notquitekarpov wrote:

That doesn't mean that there is any merit to the claim that the US was "late". Anybody can start a debate about anything. There is also debate about whether the Earth is flat.

Michael, just saying there is a whole body of scholarly literature out there (for decades) that discusses this issue in depth for anyone who wants to deepen their understanding of what is involved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick West
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It also ties in with - and is intended to ironically combat- the view in some American quarters that the USA came in to "save our arse" in both Wars, seemingly ignorant that in WW2 at least they had war declared upon them by all three major Axis powers. The same vocal minority also suggest somehow the Europeans should be eternally grateful to the USA for their liberation, which is nonsense.

The reality is, of course, that pretty every nation fights its wars with its own national interests firmly to the fore. Indeed to do anything else would be a disservice to those they ask to fight them. The USA fought in Europe purely as they saw it as essential to do so, and indeed voluntarily agreed a Europe first policy for the same reason.

Let's move on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Westie wrote:
...The Blue Max, The Red Baron, and Flyboys. Mostly worth it for the aerial scenes, rather than historical accuracy.

Plus, The Blue Max had Ursula Andress. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Fung
United States
Old Greenwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In case no one has seen or heard of this yet, the BBC produced a three episode mini-series on the British experience in WWI called "Our World War". It was very well done and is based on participant's diaries.

The first episode is on Mons in 1914, the second on the Somme in 1916, and the third on Amiens (in a tank) in 1918.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p022twsy

Very well done and made in commemoration of the 100 year anniversary of the war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Hill
Canada
Durham Region
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is an upcoming British Great War movie to be released in the spring of 2018 called ‘Journey’s End’ that looks interesting.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journey%27s_End_(2017_film)

Hopefully there will be a North American release for this film.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.