Subject: I found this really obscure Japanese game.. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Markus Myren
Norway
flag msg tools
mb
.. And of course, it's not translated! cry

Does anyone know where I can find an English translation of the game rules?
Because I sooo wanna play this variant of Othello.

From what I can understand by looking at the few pictures on their site, I can see that you each get 3 Pokémon battle cards (from a pool of 20?) and these have certain powers that cause the pieces to flip in a pattern. Anywhere from all adjacent pieces, to a whole line, etc.

Here is another picture, with some rules text.

Please help, this is torture to me.. A game I want to play and love is out of reach because of cultural reasons! soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hoier
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Download Google Translate onto your phone, and then within the app get the Japanese language pack.

You boot up the app, set it to Japanese to English, and point the camera at the text. It switches it to English on your screen in real time.

It's awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt L.
United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully someone who understands the language can help directly, but you can also use photos in the google translate app on phones/tablets. Might be better if you could find a sharper picture though.

I ran it on my phone and it's trying but I don't think it's having a lot of luck, or perhaps the back here is just showing various ways to play games with these pieces, that's about all that makes sense, I don't see any real rules when I translate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pokemon themed Othello!??! IT MUST BE MINE!

Pete (actually must have it for his Pokemon-crazed daughter)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cell #8 seems to tell you you can play Checkers with this game, and Cell #9 is telling you to play Go with it.

Pete (isn't sure how comprehensive the other rules will be)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Myren
Norway
flag msg tools
mb
Right, but it's Cell #3 > #5 that interest me the most! This is just a small summary, and not the actual full-sized rule book that comes with the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
Cell #8 seems to tell you you can play Checkers with this game, and Cell #9 is telling you to play Go with it.
I don't think #9 is Go. Go stones are played on the intersections of the lines, not the spaces between the lines. Also the blue stone inside the red stones would be removed from the board. It's possible they're showing an example of a captured stone before it is removed, but it seems unlikely. And this wouldn't be a likely position for a Go game. Except for the captured stone being left on the board, it's technically possible, but it's not how it would usually be played. Finally, red has two extra stones on the board. Which could be a handicap game, except handicap stones are typically placed on specific spots in the corners. It just seems like too many things off to possibly be Go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it was already clear to you but the picture in the OP indicates that you can play 10 different games with the components provided in the box. Cell #3 is about a reverse othello with 3 random cards dealt to each player. Cell #4 is about a dice battle while Cell #5 seems to be a guessing game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
plezercruz wrote:
I don't think #9 is Go. Go stones are played on the intersections of the lines, not the spaces between the lines. Also the blue stone inside the red stones would be removed from the board. It's possible they're showing an example of a captured stone before it is removed, but it seems unlikely. And this wouldn't be a likely position for a Go game. Except for the captured stone being left on the board, it's technically possible, but it's not how it would usually be played. Finally, red has two extra stones on the board. Which could be a handicap game, except handicap stones are typically placed on specific spots in the corners. It just seems like too many things off to possibly be Go.

#9 tells you that you can play....4 in a row.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
Never trot when you can prance.
mbmbmbmbmb
The name reads "Pokemon Othello Battle Game 10." There are a number of games you can play with these bits, from normal Othello to Checkers to a actually kinda neat-looking version of Shougi that shows you the moves right on the pieces.

The one you're probably most interested (and that looks coolest to me) is #3 Daigyakuten Othello. I'm rusty as hell, but what I can make out is you get 3 cards and can spend them over the course of the game for GRAND REVERSALS.

#4 3 vs 3 Pokemon Battle Game, it mentions dice, techniques, and using type to hit their weak point. Looks like a simplified dice-fest version of the battles from the video game.

#5 looks like maybe a guessing/memory game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Slaven
United States
Sioux City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing 7 is a two player adaptation of Chinese checkers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
3 is Othello with action cards
4 is a dice-driven Pokemon combat game
5 is a guessing game (first to guess opponents' hand of Pokemon wins)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
6 is Shogi.

Edit: ninja

Pete (is surprised he didn't notice that before)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
Never trot when you can prance.
mbmbmbmbmb
slaven41 wrote:
I'm guessing 7 is a two player adaptation of Chinese checkers.

#7 translates to "Jumping Game." Sure does look like a square-grid variant of Chinese Checkers.

And for the sake of completeness, #10 is Hasami Shougi, which is a game where all of the pieces move like a rook and the objective is to capture your opponent's pieces by sandwiching them between yours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Biensan
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Square-grid chinese checkers is actually the original form of the game, of which chinese checkers is a reimplementation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
euronoob

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
and Cell #9 is telling you to play Go with it.

Pokemon Go ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mako Chan
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Here is the Japanese text and some modified translation from Google. I'm sure someone can do a better job with the translation.

<オセロ盤とポケモン石を使ったみんなで遊べる10のゲーム!!>
<10 games that everyone can play with Othello board and Pokemon stones !!>

1. オセロ
8×8の盤面でポケモンの石を使ったオセロゲーム!
1. Othello
Othello game using Pokemon stone on 8×8 board surface!

2. 6×6ミニオセロ
スピーディな展開がおもしろいミニオセロゲーム!
2. 6 × 6 Miniothello
A mini-Othello game where speedy progression is interesting!

3. 大逆転オセロ
手持ちのわざカードをそれぞれ3枚配ってゲームスタート!オセロのルールで進めますがわざカードを使うと大逆転できるぞ!
3. Reversed Othello
Pass out 3 skill cards to everyone and start the game! Play with the rules of Othello, but with the use of the skill cards you can reverse movements!

4. 3VS3 ポケモンバトルゲーム
3対3のポケモンダイスバトル!HPゲージにコマを置き、出目で攻撃!わざの目が出れば大打撃を与えられる!タイプの相性によって攻撃ポイントも変わるぞ!
4. 3 VS 3 Pokemon Battle Game
3 to 3 Pokemon Dice Battle! Place a pip piece on the HP gauge and attack with this protruding tip! You can deliver a great strike if your tip of the skill comes out! Attack points will change according to type affinity!

5. ポケモン当てゲーム
相手の持っている3個のポケモンを質問しながら予測していくぞ!
最初に相手の3個のポケモンを当てた人の勝ち!
5. Pokémon Guessing Game
As I ask questions I will guess what three Pokemon the opponent has!
The person to guess the other three Pokemon first wins!

6. ポケモン将棋
ポケモンの石を使った本格的な将棋ゲーム!石のマークで進める方向がわかる!
6. Pokemon Shogi
A real shogi game using Pokemon stones! Know the directions of movement with the stone marks!

7. 陣取りゲーム
自分の石を先に相手の陣地まで進めた人の勝ち!
7. Occupy game
Player who advances their stone to the opponent's territory first wins!

8. チェッカー
斜めに動かして飛び越えて相手の石をとる頭脳ゲーム!
8. Checkers
A brainy game where you move diagonally and jump over and take the opponent's stone!

9. 4目並べ
順番に打っていき縦横斜めのどれか4つ先に並べたら勝ち!
9. Connect Four
Strike in turn and first one to place four horizontally or vertically wins!

10. はさみ将棋
縦横自分の石を移動して相手の石をはさみ先に3個取ったら勝ち!
10. Scissors Shogi
Move your stone vertically and horizontally and capture 3 opponent stones and you win!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Myren
Norway
flag msg tools
mb
Bless you, you've all been so very helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Fish
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Now that you know what this is, do you still want to play it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Myren
Norway
flag msg tools
mb
Well, of COURSE. I have already bought a copy of it in fact. Just gotta find a sledgehammer to knock down another wall, because there is so little space left for impulsive board game purchases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.