BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Conventions » WBC

Subject: 7springs in BFE rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rebecca Lasanen
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
WBC should be in a place where we have more choices on eating and drinking. Also all of the surrounding houses are for sale so how much longer will this place even be here if they're not putting money into the surrounding community. It is really disappointing overall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not trying to be an apologist for WBC here, but it's tough to find a home for this con that won't upset some subset of the attendees. Going elsewhere would probably mean a significant increase in cost, and not many would be happy paying $200 for the con instead of $90. I'm sure they took things into consideration and decided that having the con cheaper in a remote location would lose fewer people than having it somewhere larger but having it cost more.

For comparison, PAX East is a three day con, and costs more than WBC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osprey
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Errg...Argh..
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this place but rarely eat there. There are alternatives. Somerset is only 10 miles away and has everything you could possibly want. I pack a cooler and food as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We stayed in one on the condos last year and cooked for ourselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
Seven Springs is doing a better job with the food this year. There are a couple new places open and they are doing a good job overall of accommodating gamers.

The restaurants in Lancaster were nice and I would go once or twice, but I'm hear to play games. I can eat at a restaurant whenever. I'm very happy with the place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vanilla Ice
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
The lunch buffet is a very good deal at $15.95. Going forward, we will eat only that meal at 7 Springs and do the rest in Somerset as we're staying there. Most of the other food here is either not good or overpriced. Fast Tracks is the worst offender. I had a "cheesesteak" there yesterday that is the worst thing I have eaten in recent memory. I wouldn't feed that meat to my cat. If you lose a heat and want to punish yourself, go to Fast Tracks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blasanen wrote:
WBC should be in a place where we have more choices on eating and drinking. Also all of the surrounding houses are for sale so how much longer will this place even be here if they're not putting money into the surrounding community. It is really disappointing overall.

How many "more" choices could you have? Seven Springs has a dozen choices. Maybe you want some different choices, but the number of choices seems plenty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vanilla Ice
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Blasanen wrote:

How many "more" choices could you have? Seven Springs has a dozen choices. Maybe you want some different choices, but the number of choices seems plenty.

The menu choices are similar at many of the locations. Do I get a burger on a waffle here or a tater tot burger at 7-10 or a burger that's been floating in water all day at Fast Tracks. I thought the new quick food location by the ballroom would have some cold, fast options like hoagies/subs, but alas, that is not the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank McNally
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brisket and pulled pork sandwich next to bowling alley was excellent. Chicken Caesar salad could be had in multiple locations. Poolside it was spicy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Duffy

Virginia
msg tools
Two suggestions. Both are on the road to Somerset.

Trent House Inn. This place is open Wed through Sun. It is just a few miles from Seven Springs. We had lunch there yesterday, and it was great. Definitely going again next year.

http://trenthouseinn.info/welcome/

Zambo's Country Cottage. This place is on PA 281--about 0.5 miles after you make the left turn onto 281. Nothing fancy here, but good food at reasonable prices. My wife loves the fried chicken.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Zambos-Country-Cottage/116448...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FrankM wrote:
Brisket and pulled pork sandwich next to bowling alley was excellent. Chicken Caesar salad could be had in multiple locations. Poolside it was spicy.

One problem was that it was very hard to figure out in advance from the menu what would be good and what would be mediocre or worse. I didn't try the brisket or pulled pork, but I guess I should have. The fried shrimp in the bistro were decent. The pizzas were fine. The chicken nuggets were fine. A few other things I tried were pretty bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Belcamp
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm eating the brisket now. It's good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Also all of the surrounding houses are for sale so how much longer will this place even be here if they're not putting money into the surrounding community. It is really disappointing overall.

The place is owned by Robert Nutting, owner of the Pirates. He just bought Hidden Valley Resort next door four years ago. They entirely redid the Matterhorn and they are renovating all the hotel rooms.

In short, "this place" is going to be here for a long time.

You can check out the threads from 2-3 years ago that made the same points you are trying to make.

The short version is: Yes, it sucks if the move isn't good for you and adds travel time/money to your WBC experience. The board looked at numerous sites and made the decision that Seven Springs was in the best interest of the BPA and the future development of the WBC.

It wasn't a wily-nily choice or a choice made to screw over any one individual.

The notion that somehow Seven Springs is in "BFE" or that the place will disappear just doesn't seem to jibe with reality.

The place is 20 min off the PA Turnpike and there are two towns with grocery stores and restaurants within 25 min. It's not Lancaster, but that hotel was condemned, remember? So, there is no going back and any other "Lancaster" out there just didn't exist in what the board considered a reasonable price-point.

And as I said above, Seven Springs is on the rise. Nutting is putting money into it, not taking money out or ignoring issues, like the Host did.

If you went to the meeting, you heard Ken say the staff there is awesome to work with and they are very responsive to our suggestions and needs.

Seven Springs might not work for you and what you want/need out of the WBC going forward. But that doesn't mean the move was a mistake from the point of view of the larger BPA membership.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Weaver
United States
Denver
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Breakfast in the condo
Sandwich in the backpack for lunch
Rotating dinner at Timbers, the pizza place, and Seven Ten Bistro
FTW
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
natsean wrote:
The short version is: Yes, it sucks if the move isn't good for you and adds travel time/money to your WBC experience.

The OP is in Colorado; Seven Sprigs is *easier* to get to than Lancaster was.

There are a lot more restaurant options within a few miles of the Host than Seven Springs. That's hard to argue with. But is that really the most important thing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The BPA board just signed a 10 year contract that locks in a room rate schedule that sees rooms going up only $15 per night total over the next decade - a $5 increase every three years. That's a helluva deal. While I understand not everyone is happy with the site, the attendance would indicate that overall people like it. And compared to other large cons, WBC is way less expensive overall. When the board did a survey before selecting the next site after the Host, cost was one of the most important factors .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
But is that really the most important thing?

I think when you tie food to budget it is.

My only real complaint last year was the food at Seven Springs. I found it really expensive. Of course, this was in comparison to my Host dining budget. There wasn't a Wendy's across the street for a cheap $5 meal.

(I solved that problem by getting a condo this year and getting food at Giant Eagle.)

So, when people are talking about food, I'm assuming it's about price more than variety. And budget can be very important when considering the WBC.

Even though I got the condo, I also ate around the place and was pretty impressed overall. I found the quality was better than last year (at least in the chicken tenders/wings and roast beef). That waffle thing at 7-10 was ridiculous for $15. I ate it for three days.

I didn't mind paying "hotel prices" this time once and awhile since I saved overall on food by cooking.

So, really no complaints about food this year.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
natsean wrote:
So, when people are talking about food, I'm assuming it's about price more than variety.

That's not what the OP said.

You've got two very different groups, the people who don't really care about cost and would rather have better food/more variety, and the people who are very price-sensitive.

Both would prefer the Host a little bit (the former because there are lots of better food options near the Host, and the latter because there are lots of cheap food options near the Host). But in neither case does the difference seem very large, to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
You've got two very different groups, the people who don't really care about cost and would rather have better food/more variety,

But doesn't Helens cover this?

That menu is quite varied and is supposed to be top notch.

I haven't eaten there, but if money is no object, doesn't it satisfy for a week?

I guess that is why I went with budget. If you have the money, where is the issue with variety when you've got a place that serves beef cheek, rabbit, veal and tuna?

Unless we really miss Tony Wangs that much.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
natsean wrote:
I haven't eaten there, but if money is no object, doesn't it satisfy for a week?

Everyone is different, but I see a big distinction between "good food" and "fine dining". Even if the cost is the same, or someone else is paying, I wouldn't want to eat at a fancy restaurant with an elaborate menu, multiple courses, limited hours, reservations needed, etc., very often during a convention, if at all. I want to be able to get food when I want it, on the spur of the moment, quickly, take it back to my game, etc. Fancy restaurants aren't very conducive to any of that.

I should try Helen's, though. It's certainly at least worth checking out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I want to be able to get food when I want it, on the spur of the moment, quickly, take it back to my game, etc. Fancy restaurants aren't very conducive to any of that.

That's a good point.

Speaking of which...I was talking to one of the bartenders in the Bavarian Bar and he mentioned that he had a lot of people coming in asking for food in a rush to make it to their next game.

He asked me if "our group" was telling everyone about the Grab and Go cart they had across from the ice cream place for this purpose. He said that he couldn't really rush his food much. Best he could do was suggest a few quick menu items. He said a few people got annoyed that they couldn't get what they wanted quickly.

Maybe next year, we should make a point of saying that the cart is the place for the rushed food, not the bars and restaurants.

I told him that the cart was like an odd game of hide and seek the hotel was playing with us, though. Tucked away in that alcove with that one sign, it was easy to miss.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank McNally
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our family of 5 managed to find decent options. A bit burger heavy but salads could be had, the kids had more wings than a typical month. With multiple people the express cart 3 burgers for $11 was a good deal. These were basic burgers (not like the Bavarian mountain burger which came with pulled pork added to it), but were good for a lunch. Some hoagie options would be nice. Pizza was decent most places though I did not care for the pizza in the foggy brews. Draft beer in foggy brews would be nice. Fries were good in all restaurants.

Poolside dining was a treat as was the pork and brisket combo sandwich from the place by the bowling alley.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The pizza place also served hoagies (which they called grinders), though the service was often slow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank McNally
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I should have guessed that. That was one place I tended to avoid as it always seemed slow, usually only ate there is family had already bought a pie.

Someone ordered a large pizza delivery to the Foggy Bottoms one evening, not sure where that came from but it was good. Family on excursion found Frank's Old Fashion Pizzeria in Somerset and recommended strongly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
The pizza place also served hoagies (which they called grinders), though the service was often slow.

Agreed - extremely slow even during non peak hours.
I only ever had meatball subs - which WERE pretty good. I think my combination of lack of sleep and the cheese they use do a number on my stomach (had a similar issue that I did last year after eating there) but they are tasty at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.