Popular Tags: [View All]
J. R. Tracy
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My food from home ran out by Wednesday so I survived mostly on ice cream and chicken fingers after that. I did have a good burger one night and a passable quesadilla. Last year the dinner salads were pretty frightening but this year they looked good - unfortunately I didn't notice the change until Saturday night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Ramsay
United States
Dix Hills
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
The best time of day was Ice Cream O'Clock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ewan m
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
DaviddesJ wrote:

I should try Helen's, though. It's certainly at least worth checking out.

We have an annual WBC foodie/wine dinner; Helen's was the obvious choice, but they have a complete prohibition on outside wine. In Lancaster there were several decent options, sure; but (to my slight surprise) we found a good spot close to 7S. http://www.outofthefirecafe.com/ charges only $3 (!) corkage, and has good-to-very good food with the standouts being the smoked fish - their house-smoked salmon comes in thick steaks and is world-class. Service, including the many changes of wine glasses, was friendly and more than competent: highly recommended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ewan wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:

We have an annual WBC foodie/wine dinner; Helen's was the obvious choice, but they have a complete prohibition on outside wine. In Lancaster there were several decent options, sure; but (to my slight surprise) we found a good spot close to 7S. http://www.outofthefirecafe.com/ charges only $3 (!) corkage, and has good-to-very good food with the standouts being the smoked fish - their house-smoked salmon comes in thick steaks and is world-class. Service, including the many changes of wine glasses, was friendly and more than competent: highly recommended.

Looks pretty good. I do find myself less and less likely to leave the hotel - even at the Host - in recent years. Food is not a primary concern; I'd rather preserve a prime parking space and maximize gaming/social time. That said, this place isn't that far and looks pretty good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. R. Tracy
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ewan wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:

We ate there last year and enjoyed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our food bills were not bad this year for four of us. We did stash some bread and lunchmeat in the room fridge (which every room will have next year) which no doubt factored into it. Other factors:

a) I discovered that for me (not necessarily for everyone) I wound up ordering off the menu for breakfast instead of the buffet. It was about $3 less and I did it because I wanted something different and was not inclined towards eating a large amount of food.

b) The three burgers for $11 as well as the large plate of Chicken Tenders worked well - in each case the dish fed at least 2 people so in effect the price per person was half the menu price.

c) The Free Range Chicken was heaven - juicy, perfect cooking and the flavor was off the charts. It also was huge - a half a chicken. Thankfully I had a willing partner to split it with. So again the price was effectively half the price.

At the BPA meeting a comment was noted asking 7S if the menus can possibly have half portions - this I agree with.

Finally, like last year the staff was incredible. Friendly, attentive and willing to work with us. Amber was off the charts, so was Chandler. I have a friend who needs low/no sodium. We asked Chandler and she gave us options and also showed us a lot of menu items where if you specify the low/no sodium the chef will prepare it appropriately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank McNally
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2nd that, staff was super friendly/helpful throughout.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
natsean wrote:
So, when people are talking about food, I'm assuming it's about price more than variety.

That's not what the OP said.

You've got two very different groups, the people who don't really care about cost and would rather have better food/more variety, and the people who are very price-sensitive.

Both would prefer the Host a little bit (the former because there are lots of better food options near the Host, and the latter because there are lots of cheap food options near the Host). But in neither case does the difference seem very large, to me.

And the third group, to whom convenience is more important than price or quality. The Grab and Gos (one in the Ski Lodge in addition to the one across from the ice cream parlor) were not busy - the one across from the ice cream parlor often appeared closed even when there were three people working there due to lighting and the workers sitting out of line of sight.

Also, my lack of emphasis on food meant I lost 3 pounds - good for me if not good for everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk K

New Kensington
Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Nutting is putting money into it

He's definitely not putting it into his baseball team- all that money has to be going somewhere! angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcy Morelli
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dice is Right wrote:
Quote:

Nutting is putting money into it

He's definitely not putting it into his baseball team- all that money has to be going somewhere! :angry:

Ouch!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:

My wife and I were planning to go to Helen's on Sunday night, but (in contrast to last year) they were closed. We went to Out of the Fire, which was quite good, and only about 20 minutes away, although there were a lot more customers than they expected on a Sunday night and the food was slow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:

My wife and I were planning to go to Helen's on Sunday night, but (in contrast to last year) they were closed. We went to Out of the Fire, which was quite good, and only about 20 minutes away, although there were a lot more customers than they expected on a Sunday night and the food was slow.

Is this a 20 minute walk or a 20 minute drive? The downside of the isolated location is no Uber service, getting anywhere off the hotel property was essentially impossible for me, or adds the hurdle of having to find someone with a car to coordinate with. My impression is there's not much one can walk to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
20 minute drive, unfortunately. But closer than Somerset.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Martz
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think the food options were fine. I do miss my once weekly trip into Lancaster for a lunch of Vietnamese/Indian/etc. I didn't do a buffet this year but mostly enjoyed the food at Timbers/the Bavarian, I especially like the Prime Rib and Salmon dinners at Timbers. My only complaints about the food are 1) the fancy salad I had at the Bavarian was prepared with all of the dried cherries, bacon, and cheese dumped in the middle of the plate when I would have preferred it be scattered more, and 2) the green beans that came with the Prime Rib and Salmon dinners were way too oily. I consider both of those things to be minor.

As for food offsite. I can also recommend the Trent House Inn. My wife and I had brunch there on our way to Seven Springs. Very enjoyable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FrankM wrote:
Frank's Old Fashion Pizzeria in Somerset

SO GOOD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
natsean wrote:
I told him that the cart was like an odd game of hide and seek the hotel was playing with us, though. Tucked away in that alcove with that one sign, it was easy to miss.

I had a couple people ask me where it was when they had just passed it.

Anyone else try the taco salad from 7-10? It came in a large jar that was on top of a plate. Strange presentation, but good stuff.

I usually ate one meal a day at one of the on-site places. Some better than others, but nothing terrible. I meant to go to Emo's Pit behind the ski lodge, but didn't make it this time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally missed the quick food stand til someone told me where it was. That entryway doesn't see a ton of traffic, they could have just flipped it facing the main hallway and it would have been much more visible.

Like a lot of other things it's a learning process for both the BPA and the hotel. I am sure it will be tweaked for next year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Collins
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to see different offerings by the quick service on different days. What they had was OK for a quick bite here and there, but it got old after a couple of meals.

I still think the buffet lunch was the most consistently satisfying meal where you didn't have to wait, though you still need a block of time to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wojtaszczyk
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
actuaryesquire wrote:

Also, my lack of emphasis on food meant I lost 3 pounds - good for me if not good for everyone.

Same here! We should start a WBC diet plan, it just needs the WBC to extend out to a 10 week convention, then I'd lose 30lbs!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Craig Trader
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
The pizza place also served hoagies (which they called grinders), though the service was often slow.

In general, I found the staff at all of the restaurants to be helpful, though the service was often slow. The pizza place had very helpful cashiers, but the kitchen staff were surly and unhelpful if presented with any kind of special request.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Williams
Morocco
flag msg tools
rshipley wrote:

Anyone else try the taco salad from 7-10? It came in a large jar that was on top of a plate. Strange presentation, but good stuff.

That was what I had in 7/10, seemed very good
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Food for me is an afterthought after gaming during the WBC. But I thought 7 springs is fine.

For breakfast, I got the buffet. Anyone who says this is overpriced is kidding themselves. $12.95 including juice and coffee. (Go to Denny's pay that much for a Grand Slam (with coffee and a juice) but you also get pastries, fruit, cereal, waffles, etc. First Saturday & Sunday they had omelettes for $4. It was my main meal of the day.

To put in perspective, I paid $16/$22 for similar buffets at BGG.con & Kublacon (sans omelette). $25 for one at Pacificon (with one)

That meant I skipped lunch.

For dinner, I went to Timbers four times: The roasted chicken is excellent, the burgers were good and "Philly Cheesesteak" wasn't a real one--grilled with the steak and onions together. But it was tasty roast beef with grilled onions sandwich. Has a pizza and couple of sandwiches from the Pizza Place (Their "6 inch" sandwiches were at least 9 inches long.) I had a chicken quesadilla and large pretzel from the bar which were both fine. And had a chili cheese dog at First Tracks, which was the worst thing I ate all week and it was still good in all its processed goodness.

After the con got a New York Steak dinner at Slopeside which was excellent.

Overall I had no complaints about the food.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The OP is in Colorado; Seven Sprigs is *easier* to get to than Lancaster was.

Not for me it isn't, and I'm flying in from Texas.

Quote:
I love this place but rarely eat there. There are alternatives. Somerset is only 10 miles away and has everything you could possibly want. I pack a cooler and food as well.

That works well if you have a car.

Quote:
There are a lot more restaurant options within a few miles of the Host than Seven Springs. That's hard to argue with. But is that really the most important thing?

Depends on how much cost is a factor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Not for me it isn't, and I'm flying in from Texas.

Where did you land when it was in Lancaster?

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
natsean wrote:
Where did you land when it was in Lancaster?

Presumably he flew to PHL. PHL is about the same distance to Lancaster Host as PIT is to Seven Springs, but there's much better service from lots of places (including AUS and SFO) to PHL than to PIT. It's a much bigger airport.

I think Seven Springs is tolerable, but it's certainly less convenient to get to by air than the Host was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.