Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
PHL is about the same distance to Lancaster Host as PIT is to Seven Spring

But that distance was simpler to cover when public transportation could get me 5-10 minutes from my destination.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
But that distance was simpler to cover when public transportation could get me 5-10 minutes from my destination.

I drive, so I don't use them, but do the shuttles not really work?

I hear people complain about them, but I wonder if those are the outliers.

What is the real deal with the shuttles?

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Statalyzer wrote:
Quote:
PHL is about the same distance to Lancaster Host as PIT is to Seven Spring

Maybe cheaper but I doubt simpler. I got in an Uber at PIT and it dropped me at the door at Seven Springs. Hard to be simpler than that.

And if you want cheap there are the hotel shuttles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Maybe cheaper but I doubt simpler. I got in an Uber at PIT and it dropped me at the door at Seven Springs. Hard to be simpler than that.

Curious to know: How much did that cost?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mkiefte wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:

Curious to know: How much did that cost?

$106.52 (plus I gave an optional $5 tip).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Effinger
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
natsean wrote:

I signed up for the shuttles the last two years

Two years ago I red-eyed in Sat morning, was the third/last person on my shuttle (the first shuttle of the day) to arrive - One of the other shuttle takers knew me, and so I was met as I was coming down to baggage claim - we hoped into the shuttle, and arrived at Seven Springs around an hour and a half later. Actually, I think the shuttle driver let us Pitstop at Subway, since some of us needed breakfast. This was an excellent experience.

This year, my flight was scheduled to arrive at 4:30, so we couldn't make it on the 4pm shuttle - we were instead on the 7pm shuttle. At around 7:30, one of the other shuttle-goers reported back to the group that he'd been talking to his friend on the 4pm shuttle - they still hadn't reached the hotel - and the hotel, after some back-and-forth, relayed the information that only 1 shuttle was making the ~1.5 hr trip, and so we figured we probably wouldn't see a shuttle until 9pm. 4 of us decided not to wait, and to Uber over instead. (Cost the same as David reported). This was a terrible experience.

(I was told that my experience with the later shuttle mirrors that of the previous year - They really probably need to have a second shuttle/driver for the pickups later in the day. Friday rush-hour in PIT is a thing, apparently?).

Going back to the airport this year, I was on the last (1pm Sunday) shuttle. We were told to be there at 12:45, it didn't arrive until 1:15, I think, and didn't get moving until around 1:45? The luggage didn't necessarily go into the same shuttle as the passenger, to the dismay of some - this caused some extra distress when our shuttle seemed to get a flat tire ~5 minutes from the airport? But after inspecting the tire, they determined it was fine - we finished the drive. A reasonable experience?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I signed up for the shuttles the last two years

Thanks for the info.

So, if Seven Springs can get its act together with the shuttles, many of the issues with people flying in could be averted?

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Collins
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Friday afternoon, Pittsburgh suffers from an early rush hour. Many companies close early to let people get a start on the weekend. Unfortunately, so many let out early that it causes a rush hour around four pm. It sucks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Friday afternoon, Pittsburgh suffers from an early rush hour. Many companies close early to let people get a start on the weekend. Unfortunately, so many let out early that it causes a rush hour around four pm. It sucks.

It happens everywhere, I think. Rush hour on Friday is always a bit earlier than the rest of the week because people take off early for the weekend.

Rte 22 & 78 around me become parking lots around 3:30 on Fridays and it is usually not until around 4:30 on the other days of the week.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carmen Petruzzelli
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
natsean wrote:
Quote:

I drive, so I don't use them, but do the shuttles not really work?

I hear people complain about them, but I wonder if those are the outliers.

Kevin

Friends from CO attended WBC for the first time. There were no shuttles running 29 July to Pitt airport. An option to rent a shuttle for $200 was offered. We chose Uber instead ($130 incl tip).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
So, if Seven Springs can get its act together with the shuttles, many of the issues with people flying in could be averted

Quite likely.

I've both had and seen others have issues both years, and neither had anything to do with Pittsburgh rush hour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
petruzzelli wrote:
Friends from CO attended WBC for the first time. There were no shuttles running 29 July to Pitt airport. An option to rent a shuttle for $200 was offered. We chose Uber instead ($130 incl tip).

Did you have trouble getting an Uber from Seven Springs? I checked a few times and the app showed "No Cars Available".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carmen Petruzzelli
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
petruzzelli wrote:

Did you have trouble getting an Uber from Seven Springs? I checked a few times and the app showed "No Cars Available".

We did not have trouble. The Concierge (VERY helpful and friendly) explained our options and gave me a business card for a local Uber driver. We communicated via text. All went well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think Seven Springs would better be able to deal with airport pickups, but they are more a local ski resort, I guess. If you are flying to ski, you aren't going to Seven Springs, I imagine. They don't have a lot of practice with this.

Still, this should be able to be coordinated better seeing as how people usually make plans well in advance. I don't think a ton of people fly, so getting shuttles to and fro shouldn't be a huge problem even if the resort doesn't deal with this all the time.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It can't be that hard to run a shuttle on the schedule that you announced. Traffic is not that variable, especially on weekends, when most of the WBC travel is occurring. I think the board/cd should focus on making sure they do a better job next year. If Seven Springs can't do it then the BPA could contract directly with a local transportation firm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
It can't be that hard to run a shuttle on the schedule that you announced. Traffic is not that variable, especially on weekends, when most of the WBC travel is occurring. I think the board/cd should focus on making sure they do a better job next year. If Seven Springs can't do it then the BPA could contract directly with a local transportation firm.

If you consider Friday afternoon to be the weekend, this is expressly contradicted by a prior post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
actuaryesquire wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:

If you consider Friday afternoon to be the weekend, this is expressly contradicted by a prior post.

David's point isn't that there's not traffic; he just seems to be saying traffic can and should be built into scheduled shuttle times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
MD1616 wrote:
David's point isn't that there's not traffic; he just seems to be saying traffic can and should be built into scheduled shuttle times.
Some observations from a local Pittsburgher:

A) It's pretty wild that folks would fly into PIT and then endure the ~2 hour trip out to Seven Springs, but I guess if you aren't local there aren't many other options. Which leads me to...

B) Getting to Seven Springs from the airport means experiencing one of Pittsburgh's LOVELY quirks: We don't have a beltway! Therefore, you will be in nose-to-tail traffic all the way into downtown (on the only major highway coming into town from the west) and then fighting your way back out of town on the only major highway out of town heading east. Sorry about that! (Try living here, it sucks way worse.)

C) As has been said: Seven Springs is a ski resort, therefore the location in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains means you will have all of the benefits and drawbacks of being in a "resort town." So if you're looking for the nearest "big city" then... umm... there aren't any. Which leads me to...

D) Western PA is not a particularly cosmopolitan area, and the further you get into the mountains, the less cosmopolitan it gets. Although Seven Springs is thought of as probably the premier ski resort in the area, we still aren't talking about Aspen, or Vail, or Telluride. Expectations should be adjusted accordingly (although it's less of a dump than it used to be.)

Just some hints from a local.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
actuaryesquire wrote:

No, I don't consider Friday afternoon to be the weekend, it's literally the exact opposite of the weekend.

There must be very, very few WBC attendees are traveling to or from the airport on Friday afternoon. Arriving the day before the convention even begins? That would not be when I would worry about delays. Anyway, as Max says, you can build whatever the traffic pattern is into the schedule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first three definitions on the Free Dictionary include Friday evening or night.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/weekend

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
actuaryesquire wrote:
The first three definitions on the Free Dictionary include Friday evening or night.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/weekend

Right. Therefore, not the afternoon. That's the peak of weekday rush hour traffic.

I guess on BGG we can argue about anything. But arguing that Seven Springs just can't provide reliable shuttle service on the weekends, because on Friday afternoon (not the time that most WBC visitors are traveling) there's rush hour traffic, seems exceptional even to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:

A) It's pretty wild that folks would fly into PIT and then endure the ~2 hour trip out to Seven Springs, but I guess if you aren't local there aren't many other options.

Well, I was going to fly directly to Seven Springs itself, but I was informed (rather late, I might add) that Seven Springs does not actually have a landing strip.

Like WTF?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
A) It's pretty wild that folks would fly into PIT and then endure the ~2 hour trip out to Seven Springs

No more "wild" than flying into PHL and enduring the comparable trip to the Lancaster Host.

Traffic between PHL and Lancaster is considerably worse than between PIT and Seven Springs. Most people I know reported almost no traffic on the weekend (Friday evening, Saturday, and Sunday, since I guess I have to be precise---not rush hour). WBC is set up so that most people are traveling on the weekends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to mention that for 7S, it was one mode of transport between airport and hotel. The Host was I believe local train to Amtrak then a hotel shuttle.

Sure PIT is not a big airport with as much variety as BWI or PHI, but in the grand scheme of things, it works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I can't figure out: what is "BFE"?

I assume it's not "base flood elevation".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.