• [+] Dice rolls
Duncan McGregor
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Eric Brosius wrote:
So I can't figure out: what is "BFE"?

I assume it's not "base flood elevation".

I recommend Urban Dictionary (NSFW) to your attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank McNally
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps gun in BFG is replaced by elephant?

free dictionary has ideas, and they are clean-

http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/BFE

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Not sure why "Egypt", but I guess that's how slang works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
Not sure why "Egypt"

Racism and colonial attitudes. My daughter went to Africa on a trip this summer, I mentioned this to people and most were, "Wow, that's cool," but I was surprised at a couple of responses along the lines of, "Why would anyone ever go to such an awful place." Lots of Western attitudes toward Africa haven't changed since the days that Conrad traveled up the Congo.

Completely off topic, but I found this a compelling read, one of the best articles on Africa that I've seen:

With Conrad on the Congo River

(And, yes, Congo is far from Egypt, but not in the minds of some people.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:

Try Google.

This whole thread just took on a totally new meaning for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Pearce
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mkiefte wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:

A) It's pretty wild that folks would fly into PIT and then endure the ~2 hour trip out to Seven Springs, but I guess if you aren't local there aren't many other options.

Well, I was going to fly directly to Seven Springs itself, but I was informed (rather late, I might add) that Seven Springs does not actually have a landing strip.

Like WTF?

Actually at one point it did, you can find it on Google maps (the landing strip is there, but there is no service out to it). It is out near where they run the Skeet Shooting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant LaDue
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gmpearce wrote:
mkiefte wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:

A) It's pretty wild that folks would fly into PIT and then endure the ~2 hour trip out to Seven Springs, but I guess if you aren't local there aren't many other options.

Well, I was going to fly directly to Seven Springs itself, but I was informed (rather late, I might add) that Seven Springs does not actually have a landing strip.

Like WTF?

Actually at one point it did, you can find it on Google maps (the landing strip is there, but there is no service out to it). It is out near where they run the Skeet Shooting.

Which, when you think about it, might be why they closed the airstrip! :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's the Arnold Palmer Regional Airport in Latrobe, which is closer than Pittsburgh, but still 25 miles away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
There's the Arnold Palmer Regional Airport in Latrobe, which is closer than Pittsburgh, but still 25 miles away.

There's no useful scheduled service to LBE for almost anyone. Only Spirit flights to Florida (aimed at vacation travelers from Pennsylvania).

NetJets will take you to LBE, but I don't think anyone here is doing that.

Southern Airways Express flies Cessnas between JST and MGW (both of which are somewhat closer to Seven Springs than PIT) and major airports including BWI and IAD. If you happen to live near one of those airports, it's an option. Or maybe if you are connecting from Europe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
So I can't figure out: what is "BFE"?

I assume it's not "base flood elevation".

I've been thinking so much about PoG lately that I keep reading it as BEF...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right; this would only be an option for a pilot flying their own plane (or someone who has access to a private aircraft.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Polcen
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
I play Speed Circuit / Championship Formula Racing at Redscape.
badge
www.redscape.com... proud sponsor of neighborly warfare since 1998
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:

Southern Airways Express flies Cessnas between JST and MGW (both of which are somewhat closer to Seven Springs than PIT) and major airports including BWI and IAD. If you happen to live near one of those airports, it's an option. Or maybe if you are connecting from Europe?

Heh... never heard of Cessnas being used for passenger service. Sure enough, Southern has 14 of them and 9 more Pipers, both with a capacity of 9. They're also pretty cheap (as little as $30 one way from BWI to Johnstown). Must be the federal subsidy, thanks to the airport's namesake John Murtha, I assume.

You still have the issue of getting from there to 7 springs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
MD1616 wrote:
David's point isn't that there's not traffic; he just seems to be saying traffic can and should be built into scheduled shuttle times.
Some observations from a local Pittsburgher:

A) It's pretty wild that folks would fly into PIT and then endure the ~2 hour trip out to Seven Springs, but I guess if you aren't local there aren't many other options. Which leads me to...

I left my house Thursday. Drove ~1 hour to San Jose, checked into a motel (where I'd be parking my car for 2 weeks--but it also gave me the opportunity to go to Giants game that night). Checked out the motel at 5am to catch a 6:30 flight, changed planes in Denver with about an hour stopover. Made it to PIT about 5:00. The shuttle was supposed to get there at 7:00 didn't get there 9:30 (due to mechanic problems and traffic coming in due an accident at a tunnel.

~2 hours on bus? BFD! Once I got on the shuttle that was the last step of a long day. And I come a day early just in case there is a delayed flight, shuttle breakdown, bad traffic, etc. And I get there the night before so I don't miss the first events on Saturday (which I expect to become more numerous.)

BTW when the convention was in Lancaster, you either had 2+ hour train ride from Philly (transferring Downtown) or pay through the nose flying to Harrisburg (no competition from Southwest).

Quote:
B) Getting to Seven Springs from the airport means experiencing one of Pittsburgh's LOVELY quirks: We don't have a beltway! Therefore, you will be in nose-to-tail traffic all the way into downtown (on the only major highway coming into town from the west) and then fighting your way back out of town on the only major highway out of town heading east. Sorry about that! (Try living here, it sucks way worse.)

Beltway Schmeltway! Traffic is gonna be bad on Friday rush hour. Anywhere. Pittsburgh has narrow freeways (are ANY of them more than 2 lane?)

Quote:
C) As has been said: Seven Springs is a ski resort, therefore the location in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains means you will have all of the benefits and drawbacks of being in a "resort town." So if you're looking for the nearest "big city" then... umm... there aren't any. Which leads me to...

I am there to play games for a week. I hardly leave the hotel anyway.

Quote:

D) Western PA is not a particularly cosmopolitan area, and the further you get into the mountains, the less cosmopolitan it gets. Although Seven Springs is thought of as probably the premier ski resort in the area, we still aren't talking about Aspen, or Vail, or Telluride. Expectations should be adjusted accordingly (although it's less of a dump than it used to be.)

Again, I am there to play games. Yes, as a ski resort, 7 Springs pales in comparison to the Rockies or Sierras. I don't care.

7 Springs is no dump compared to the previous WBC site, the Lancaster Host--which had a tarp on the leaky roof, ice machines broken each year for 5 years, "temporary" water heater for 3 years, AC broke one year when the temperature was pushing 100F and had a water main burst so it was CONDEMNED after we left.

7 Springs is paradise in comparison.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had an unplanned waterfall in our hotel room the last year at the Host. Seven Springs is immeasurably better as far as quality of accommodations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stayed in a 3-bedroom condo with access to pool and hot tub. As my son said when he stepped into the condo, it was "gorgeous". No comparison needed to a prior facility - this felt like a vacation. And the gaming was great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
We had an unplanned waterfall in our hotel room the last year at the Host. Seven Springs is immeasurably better as far as quality of accommodations.

I had an Air Baron heat get "rained" on through the wall in our last year. Pool or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did it happen when you drew the Oil Can chit ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Parker
United States
Huntington
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A somewhat off-color expression, that I wasn't familiar with, either. According to Google, it means out in the middle of nowhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Smith
England
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Springs is not immune: during the bad spate of thunderstorms the Festival Hall roof leaked at least once (during Mad King Ludwig). That room does seem the most ramshackle of the lot, but it was still disappointing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excalabur wrote:
7 Springs is not immune: during the bad spate of thunderstorms the Festival Hall roof leaked at least once (during Mad King Ludwig). That room does seem the most ramshackle of the lot, but it was still disappointing.

No hotel is totally immune; several years ago I was at a con at a Crowne Plaza, generally pretty nice hotels. A friend of mine was awoken in the middle of the the night by a ceiling tile falling from the ceiling due to the volume of water coming through the roof. To the hotels credit they quickly found him another room and comped the room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Stayed in a 3-bedroom condo with access to pool and hot tub. As my son said when he stepped into the condo, it was "gorgeous". No comparison needed to a prior facility

Granted, that's an offsite location, of which there are nice ones in Lancaster also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excalabur wrote:

Things do break, roofs leak, etc. But I have no doubt they will be fixed. That was not true in Lancaster.

BTW, I stayed at 7 Springs a couple day's after the WBC and I saw a construction crew remodeling rooms on the 10th floor of the tower. Worj is proceeding!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marty S wrote:
No hotel is totally immune;

No building is immune. I'm constantly astounded by recently built buildings that leak.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marty S wrote:
Did it happen when you drew the Oil Can chit ?

Get kicked in the nuts twice for the price of one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.