Kido Butai: Japan's Carriers at Midway» Forums » Rules

Subject: Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bradley Fletcher
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Just got the game and enjoyed the first run-through. A couple of questions, though.
First, when-where-how is it decided if the American attackers are dive or torpedo? I see that the Japanese cap rolls to determine whether it is high or low, but I don't see the American?

Second, I guess the answer to this is in a previous post/question on bombing--but I can't quite believe it, and that is the second paragraph under C.Bombing on page 4--so let me see if this is right: This describes a SECOND round of attacks IF they haven't faced CAP. If not, then ships fire another round of AA, and IF the attackers survive that, they then each roll a die and the sum total of those rolls applies as damage to enemy ships??? I think that's right, but I'd love to understand what that's about as it is very likely devastating!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Bauer
United States
Larned
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bfletcher wrote:
First, when-where-how is it decided if the American attackers are dive or torpedo? I see that the Japanese cap rolls to determine whether it is high or low, but I don't see the American?

In my first edition rules it is on page 5, under the heading Combat in the American Phase. On a die roll of 1-3 the American bombers are Torpedo planes. On a 4-6 die roll they are Dive Bombers.

As to your second question. YES, you understand it correctly. If the bombers are not faced with any CAP the total of the die rolls is added together and YES, it IS devastating!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Richter Konfliktsimulationen
msg tools
designer
publisher
Rod is right. Whenever you are attacked by American bombers, you roll whether they are dive or torpedo (fifty-fifty chance). There is no extra roll for your CAP. If it is fighting torpedo bombers, it will automatically be flipped to "low CAP" afterwards.

Concerning the second question, there is no "second round of attacks", only one round, implementation depending on the absence or presence of CAP. Let me quote from the clarifications:

"Think of there being two different kinds of attack, regular and special. In a regular attack, each bomber is assigned a ship and hits on a result of five or six. A special attack only occurs when the attackers have not been opposed by CAP at all, or if they are dive bombers and there is 'low CAP' only. In these cases, there is no specific target assignation. All ships roll for anti-aircraft fire (while in a regular attack, only ships being attacked do so and only against their specific assailant). Afterwards, all bombers attack the entire fleet with all pips counting. If there were only regular attacks, the historical outcome of Kido Butai being sunk by a few U. S. dive bombers would be impossible. For you, in the role of Admiral Nagumo, this means that neglecting your CAP is sure to invite disaster."

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Ben
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.