Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If there was such a thing as a Christmas in July event for wargamers, what is the current wargame that you would like to receive now ? And why ?

EDIT: the purpose of this thread is to do a thought experiment: what if there was a July 25th Santa Grogs Event ?

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Santa Grogs in July 2017
I would like to receive Time of Crisis, because the game is shipping now, and already the buzz on BGG is very positive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Christmas in July aka my birthday : to celebrate this great achievement of making it unscathed another full tour of the earth around the sun I got some wargames in an auction

A Bridge Too Far: Arnhem
Battleground Historical Warfare: Second Punic War 218-201 BC + Battleground Historical Warfare: Second Punic War 218-201 BC Reinforcements
Hellenes: Campaigns of the Peloponnesian War
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cavallari
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My birthday is actually next month. I have a copy of Arquebus: Men of Iron Volume IV pre-ordered on GMT's P500, and according to the last update I read, it's tentatively scheduled to ship in August. Fingers crossed. But just in case it gets pushed back, I was thinking of buying a copy of Stonewall's Sword: The Battle of Cedar Mountain as my backup plan!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
badge
Any random game from my wishlist would do, but if pushed I would say one of The Western Front: 1914 to 1918 or The Eastern Front: 1914-1917; or one of Tunisia II or Sicily II.

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:

I reviewed these. Very good games. I was sent review copies without the terrain pack though. To do some of the advanced scenarios, one needs terrain-- either borrowed from another game or better a terrain pack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Over 50 Gamer
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Oliver......one cool cat
badge
MEOW!
mbmbmbmbmb

Mine would be The Invasion of Russia (1812).

I have the follow up game and really want this one too. Impossible to find though. 2 attempts at a trade, but the first time the person no longer had the game and the second time the person didnt bother to respond to my trade proposal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy Roman Empire: The Thirty-Years War

I just returned from visiting the Czech Republic and got interested in the period. I also want to look at the tactical game for its own sake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Holt
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I had to pick just one, it would be either:
Three Days of Gettysburg (third edition)

Or:
We Must Tell the Emperor

And both for the same reason. They are out of print and difficult to get and expensive to do so.

If I had to choose a current game, it would be:
Enemy Action: Ardennes

as I really want this game (I'm a big Butterfield fan) but it's just too expensive for 1 game for me right now.

Tony
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Collins
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I need another wargame like I need a hole in the head.

Probably La Bataille de Dresde. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brinker
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
Grognards
badge
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
mbmbmbmbmb
Something from The Library of Napoleonic Battles, perhaps Napoleon at Leipzig (fifth edition)? I only got into war gaming a couple of years ago and found a group to play regularly with recently. I've discovered I really enjoy 19th and early 20th century, operational games and don't have any OSG titles in my collection but I've read up on them and they sound great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not answer the OP. So, here goes:
I am strongly tempted to get Commands & Colors: Ancients, Julius Caesar, or Crusader Rex but these are similar to games I already own. I'm trying not to think of what I really want to get until our finances are in better shape.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florent Leguern
France
Saint-Martin-d'Hères
France
flag msg tools
Groaning Grognard
badge
After all, a murder is only an extroverted suicide.
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it a wargame ? I would love to have N: The Napoleonic Wars cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luka Kovač Plavi
Croatia
Našice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting heavy into Commands & Colors: Napoleonics so any expansion bar austrians that I already have (tacticians probably being needed the most).

2nd edition of The Napoleonic Wars (Second Edition)

Other than that, from what is available right now, maybe Fields of Despair: France 1914-1918 as a distant third.

edit: South Pacific: Breaking the Bismarck Barrier 1942-1943 I very much covet since I realized it exists and is pretty hard to get
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

To complete my collection of GOSS games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
Pascal said, "The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me."
badge
"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of."--Pascal
mbmbmbmbmb
Just take whatever you might use to gift me a game--and my list could be long--and give it to a charity in your community that could really use it. Or look beyond borders and reach out to people far away.

And be thankful for your kindness, even as I will be.

goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
I would hope my santa had a copy of Wellington's War: The Peninsular Campaign 1809-1814 he did not like very much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
what if there was a July 25th Santa Grogs Event?

Napoleon's Triumph Why? HHmm, would like it as a gift because I really cannot justify the price it goes for these days.

True fact: July 25th was my 30th wedding anniversary, so even if Santa Grogs didn't come, I still ended up WAY ahead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brinker
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
Grognards
badge
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
mbmbmbmbmb
SBGrad wrote:
Napoleon's Triumph Why? HHmm, would like it as a gift because I really cannot justify the price it goes for these days.

Bought one last week. No regrets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
binkman wrote:
SBGrad wrote:

Bought one last week. No regrets.

Bought it back when it went for 65 euro - no regrets either

This whole Christmas/present thread has had one positive effect : as an incentive, I've promised myself a wargame - without any price limits - when I've managed to lose 15 pounds. My wife just grinned and commented that this would probably be my fastest weight loss ever. She knows me well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfy Burger
Mali
Bamako
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's weird: since Roger started this thread, I've been trying to conjure up what game I'd REALLY want, and I can't come up with much. I have a bunch of games that need playing, some P500 that just came in or are on their way, and I'm in the mood to slow down for a while and just spend more time with what I have. Heresy, I know, and I'm sure this horrible sickness won't last.

I did think of GD '42, though. Not because it's difficult to find or expensive - I've actually located a cheap mint copy, but because it's a game I am really curious about, but haven't been quite able to pull the trigger on (surely a result of the aforementioned disgusting disability). I guess I'd want my summer Santa Grog to relieve me of my guilt!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
AlfyB wrote:
It's weird: since Roger started this thread, I've been trying to conjure up what game I'd REALLY want, and I can't come up with much. I have a bunch of games that need playing, some P500 that just came in or are on their way, and I'm in the mood to slow down for a while and just spend more time with what I have. Heresy, I know, and I'm sure this horrible sickness won't last.

I did think of GD '42, though. Not because it's difficult to find or expensive - I've actually located a cheap mint copy, but because it's a game I am really curious about, but haven't been quite able to pull the trigger on (surely a result of the aforementioned disgusting disability). I guess I'd want my summer Santa Grog to relieve me of my guilt!

A lot of the stuff I want is coming out in the next six months or so. Pendragon, imperial struggle, no retreat, unc. Surrender, maybe WiF...maybe space empires...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tonny Wille
Belgium
9310 Meldert
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Goh, if I was to make a list and send it now:

Band of Brothers: Battle Pack 1
Demyansk Shield: the Frozen Fortress, February-May 1942
Rising Sun over China
War in the Wind: The Battle of Attu Island, 1943
Pericles: The Peloponnesian Wars

Just to name a few games
Looking at which games that still need to be released this year... Guam: Return to Glory, No Retreat 3: The French Front, May/June 1940 and Next War: Poland would be added as well although Guam will probably be bought as soon as it is released
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fox
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Fear cannot be banished, but it can be calm and without panic; it can be mitigated by reason and evaluation.
badge
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to have Field of Fire 2nd Edition. I just got the notification yesterday that GMT charged for it, so ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
badge
AlfyB wrote:

Is it GD '42 in particular that you're curious about or Tactical Combat Series in general, with GD '42 being the series entry that most interests you? I ask, because you can find lots of older TCS games for very reasonable prices, and some of them are much more manageabble in size. That way you can see if the series is for you or not before diving into a big entry like GD '42 (again, assuming that this was the situation; maybe you've already tried TCS and now you have your sights on this game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.