Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb

I know Birdman is famous for that.

I just learned about a lesser-known Hitchcock movie called Rope that does it:
In Rope, Hitchcock attempted the daunting technical challenge of filming the entire picture in one long, seemingly uninterrupted take. Actually, there are several edits in the movie: since a reel of film was divided into two ten-minute minireels back in 1948, the internal reel-breaks are "fudged" by having a dark object briefly obscure the camera lens, sustaining the illusion that no editing has taken place.
(From Rotten Tomatoes)

Any other movies that do this?

Barring any movies that attempt it for the whole movie - any TV shows or movies that have impressive "one-take" long tracking shot scenes?
I can think of:

-Pulp Fiction
The Bruce Willis scene where he goes back to his apt for his watch - the camera actually jumps the fence with him IIRC!

-Snake Eyes
Has a famous one-take opening scene.

-The Cook The Thief His Wife and Her Lover
I think had a lot of these shots, or are they shorter than I remember?

-The Revenant
I think the early battle scene was a one-take, right?

-Game of Thrones
The Hardhome Battle had an impressive tracking shot.

Any others worth looking up? I always enjoy re-watching these to admire the technical skills involved in creating them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Orson Welles' Touch of Evil has a famous opening shot - almost four minutes of continuity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Tarantino did it in more than just Pulp Fiction. I remember some scenes like that in Kill Bill as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
There was also an episode of "ER" that was broadcast live (they even had a baseball game on a background TV to prove it was live) - but I'm not sure if it was one camera the whole time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The german movie "Victoria" was done in one take: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_(2015_film)
I have not seen it yet but it got good reviews.

Your general question may be answered by this Wiki-page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_shot_(film)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Cramer
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two pieces of media come to mind. In the first season of the Netflix Daredevil show, in the second episode there's a very long fight scene in a hallway that is very impressive. Second, the movie Creed has a few scenes of fight prep/fight in it that are very long. Makes me want to watch Creed again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
odie73 wrote:
The german movie "Victoria" was done in one take: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_(2015_film)
I have not seen it yet but it got good reviews.

Your general question may be answered by this Wiki-page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_shot_(film)

Thanks! Way more than I thought it would be.
Interesting that after Hitchcock in Rope, it took nearly 50 years for someone else to even simulate it. He was way ahead of his time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe The Raid did this as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All of Russian Ark was done in one single, unbroken shot.

Also, the cinematographer for Birdman, Emmanuel Lubezki, is famous for his long single takes. See Children of Men and Gravity.

PT Anderson is a fan of long single shots. A great example is the opening scene of Boogie Nights.

There's the Dunkirk scene in Atonement that was so much of a show off it made the film worse as a result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Henry
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind—Einstein
mbmbmbmbmb
A second nod to Russian Ark. The film company I believe had the run of the Hermitage Museum in St. Petersburg for one day only. It's an amazing single shot with 2000+ actors. A small cheat, though, the sound was recorded later.

Quote:
According to In One Breath, the documentary on the making of the film, four attempts were made. The first failed at the five-minute mark. After two more failed attempts, they were left with only enough battery power for one final take. The four hours of daylight available were also nearly gone. Fortunately, the final take was a success and the film was completed at 90 minutes. Tilman Büttner, the director of photography and Steadicam operator, executed the shot on 23 December 2001.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:

There's the Dunkirk scene in Atonement that was so much of a show off it made the film worse as a result.

I think like a good score, the best long/single takes you don't even notice that it's all one take (at least in first-viewing or unless someone gives you a heads-up ahead of time).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Boyes
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a pretty terrible movie from the early days of digital cameras called that was shot with four cameras and consisted of four continuous shots showed splitscreen concurrently.

Maybe it wasn't terrible, I mostly just remember not enjoying it very much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Springfield
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Altman's The Player has a pretty famous long tracking shot to start the film.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Elephant (2003) by Gus Van Sant did quite a bit of one take shots, especially in following the various characters. I thought it was quite a technical feat and solid, if not tragic movie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
Try to be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations.
mb
Hard Boiled hospital fight scene. It's only about a 3 minute take, but it's amazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
erak wrote:

I think like a good score, the best long/single takes you don't even notice that it's all one take (at least in first-viewing or unless someone gives you a heads-up ahead of time).

WyantJM wrote:

Exactly. Too many films use the long take to show off technical prowess rather than considering how it enhances the film. The Player is a great use of the tracking shot because it's actually a meta joke--some characters directly address the use of long takes in the scene.

The long takes in Children of Men (mainly the car chase, the war zone) work because they give you the feeling that you're right in the car/streets there with them rather than some all-seeing observer. (CoM also has some long takes where you don't even realize it, like the opening coffee shop bombing sequence.)

The tour-of-Serenity in Serenity works because it gives you a mental map of the ship as well as a fun way to introduce the characters.

Birdman really works for me because it's an exercise in self-indulgence, but it's in a film about self-indulgence.

The only time I like long takes for the sake of technical prowess are in action films like The Protector video above. We watch action films to watch people kick ass. The longer the take, the realer it looks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
Try to be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations.
mb
WyantJM wrote:

The funny thing about that scene is that they are discussing the pretentiousness of long take in A Touch of Evil during the long tracking shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
BuckWilde wrote:
the Netflix Daredevil show, in the second episode there's a very long fight scene in a hallway that is very impressive.

I think that Daredevil scene is homage to the long take fight scene from Old Boy. If not homage, then straight rip off, so we'll give them the benefit of the doubt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jpwoo wrote:
There is a pretty terrible movie from the early days of digital cameras called that was shot with four cameras and consisted of four continuous shots showed splitscreen concurrently.

I think the title of the movie got left out of your post?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The opening of Gravity is all 'one shot'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jpwoo wrote:

I remember Ebert talking about this film. This was shot in one continuous take with four cameras following four different people as they walked around New York and eventually interacted with each other. The audio on the quadrants that were not important would fade out so you could tell which quadrant to focus on.

I understand it was hell trying to film a scene with four different cameras without any of the cameras showing up in each others shots. I have never seen it, but it sounded fascinating.

It was called Timecode
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
I remember watching Rope for the first time keeping an eye out for the edits. Not surprisingly they're done very cleanly and aren't easy to spot.

Scorsese's also been known to throw a long tracking shot or two into his films. The most famous is probably the one from Goodfellas.

And if you go into music videos, Michel Gondry did a cool experiment with mirroring and reversal of a single shot in a Cibo Matto video.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoga Wind
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice, I've actually seen that video before and it didn't even register that it was a single take!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.