United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
Brawling Brothers!
badge
Team Brandon!
mbmbmbmbmb
Need some insight. We are cruising out of New Orleans in August, and staying at the Hampton Inn and Suites Convention Center.

1. Is this a good hotel to get to the ship terminal?

2. What are the best non touristy places to eat around there?

3. We are there most of Friday, all of Saturday, and most of Sunday, what is the not to miss things to do?

4. WW2 Museum is on the to do list.

Thanks
Bill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mitchell
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Do I have overtext?
badge
Yes I do.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not from the area, but I was in town for work 5 or 6 years ago - we ate at Emeril's, and I still maintain it was the best meal I've ever had at a restaurant.

I didn't go in with high expectations, having gone to expensive dinners on the company's dime many times, and many times being underwhelmed...It's extremely rare that I remember a meal like this even a week later, but this one has stuck with me (I even remember that I had the pork chop...) I can promise if I'm ever back in town, I'll make a point to go back to Emeril's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Shogren
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb

Also not from the area, BUT...

French Quarter is interesting to at least visit and walk through. It's an interesting show if nothing else. As for food... NOLA is absolutely awesome.

---

It's touristy, but Cafe Du Monde is worth it for the classic beignets and chicory coffee and to say you've done it. Try it on a Sunday morning perhaps.

---

This won't be cheap, but they *were* quite good when I was there...

Tujacques - this place was noted by my parents as great and my experience 40 years later was the same. They used to have only a daily menu but it looks like they now run a regular menu. They really have been in place for 160 years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
IIRC, the boarding area for the cruise ships is more or less at the end of/behind the convention center, so you should be good there. Granted, the convention center is something like 2/3 of a mile long, so take that into consideration.

As for location, you're gonna be right downtown. The French Quarter is the neighborhood to your north (follow the river one way). The Arts and Warehouse Districts are to the south (follow the river the other way). And if you head inland away from the river (up Canal St) you'll find yourself in Mid-City. There's lots of amazing non-touristy food all over town. I suggest getting a muffuletta sandwich somewhere and enjoying that for a meal or three.

And Cafe Du Monde is worth visiting for some beignets. Try not to slip on the mounds of powdered sugar on the floor.

Enjoy your visit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Oliver
United States
Argyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadow_Tracker wrote:
Need some insight. We are cruising out of New Orleans in August, and staying at the Hampton Inn and Suites Convention Center.

1. Is this a good hotel to get to the ship terminal?

2. What are the best non touristy places to eat around there?

3. We are there most of Friday, all of Saturday, and most of Sunday, what is the not to miss things to do?

4. WW2 Museum is on the to do list.

Thanks
Bill

Born and raised in New Orleans, and lived in the French Quarter for a while. We still do Cafe Du Monde all the time when we go home.(I moved away in 2007, but, go home a few times a year.)

1. You should be good at that hotel. I have never cruised out of NOLA, but, if the cruise is out of the dock near the convention center, that should be fine.

2. In the French Quarter, go to Irene's
539 Saint Philip St
New Orleans, LA 70116

3. You're from Virginia? The street car is fun, and can take you around the city. A cemetery tour is usually neat, south Louisiana cemeteries are nearly all above ground. Lafayette Cemetery is at 1400 Washington Ave, New Orleans, LA 70130, which is about 2 blocks from a Street Car stop. The Audubon Zoo and Aquarium of the Americas are both really nice, and you can get a package that allows visiting both including a steam boat ride to and from each other. I know Segway tours were popular for a while, not sure if that is still popular, though. The French Market is basically an open air bazaar, so, you could find anything of interest there. Voodoo "museums" are fun. Bourbon Street is 24x7, if you are a drinking and "other stuff" kind of person. (I used to walk to work, from St. Ann to Poydras every day, and honestly, 7AM on Bourbon Street is entertaining for a sober local...)

4. Yes, the WW2 museum is awesome. I have not been in a while (it used to just be the D-Day museum), but, they have spent a lot of time, effort, and money in improving it every year, and it started top notch.

(I am assuming you will not have a car and are flying in. If your trip involves driving from Virginia, and/or you will have a car, Stennis Space Center in Mississippi, just on the state border, was always an interesting tour. Also, there are airboat tours you can do, although the hotel might have shuttles for that, too.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.