Carl Fung
United States
Old Greenwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anytime I write up notes to be included in a game design I'm helping research, I include a bibliography. I love games that include bibliographies as these are the go to sources that I'll look to pick up to understand more about the battle I'm playing. It would also help to see what inspired designers to the game design.

Granted, I should have started with listing of books before diving into game overview or scenario overview, but better late then never. While Monocacy and Fort Stevens will never rival the number of books that battles like Gettysburg, Antietam, or even Shiloh or Chickamauga, there are a decent number of accounts. In particular, B. Franklin Cooling has contributed the most to these battles and is strongly recommended.

Jubal Early’s Raid on Washington: 1864 by B. Franklin Cooling - The best single book on both Monocacy and Fort Stevens, it covers Early's movement from the Shenandoah Valley to Early's retreat from Washington. Physical book only. There is no ebook available or any of Cooling's books.

Monocacy: The Battle that Saved Washington by B. Franklin Cooling- The best single volume account on the Battle of Monocacy

The Day Lincoln Was Almost Shot: The Fort Stevens Story by B. Franklin Cooling - Less a battle of account on Fort Stevens but more so around Lincoln in the days Early at the doorsteps and Lincoln's visit to Fort Stevens and his near miss there.

Mr. Lincoln's Forts: A Guide to the Civil War Defenses of Washington by B. Franklin Cooling and Walton H. Owen - Purely a guide to the fortifications around Washington and not a battle account. The book goes into the technical nitty gritty from schematics and artillery mounts that were built to defend the capitol.

Desperate Engagement: How a Little-Known Civil War Battle Saved Washington, D.C., and Changed American History by Marc Leepson - also a single volume account for both Monocacy and Fort Stevens but I enjoyed Cooling's Jubal Early’s Raid on Washington more. There is an ebook version but if you can get Cooling's hardcover or paperback, please do so.

Shock Troops of the Confederacy: The Sharpshooter Battalions of the Army of Northern Virginia by Fred L. Ray - a fascinating book on the dedicated sharpshooter battalions that Lee created in 1864 before the Overland Campaign. As the Battle of Fort Stevens was very much a skirmishing battle, learning about how these battalions were formed and their tactics and how they were employed is relevant. There's a good account of Fort Stevens here where many accounts often lack specific troop movement details. Paperback and ebook available.

Fighting for Time: The Battle of Monocacy
by Glenn H. Worthington - The author was present at the battle as a young man who's family name is featured heavily in the ford and farm on the southern portion of the battle. Admittedly I did not read this book, bypassing it with more contemporary accounts by Cooling and Leepson.

Determined to Stand and Fight: The Battle of Monocacy, July 9, 1864 by Ryan Quint - This book was released after having done the research for To Take Washington and I just stumbled on it. As this book is part of the Emerging Civil War series, described as "...easy-to-read overviews of some of the Civil War’s most important battles and issues. Each volume features more than a hundred-and-fifty photos and graphics, plus sharp new maps and visually engaging layouts", I would pass and go right for any of Cooling's books.

Strategy & Tactics Issue #303: The Battle of Fort Stevens: July 1864 - A magazine article where the account of the actual battle is pretty thin. Again, stick with Cooling. I picked up the magazine more for its article and game on the Yugoslav War (a different Civil War altogether).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.