Hide
23 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Dating sim board games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Prather
msg tools
I was wondering, if anyone knows if there are any board games that involve seducing/dating someone, kinda like japanese dating sim...if there is anyhing out there like that, let me know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PoppinFresh84 wrote:
I was wondering, if anyone knows if there are any board games that involve seducing/dating someone, kinda like japanese dating sim...if there is anyhing out there like that, let me know!
Agricola. It's painful, you spend most of the game trying to procreate, and at the end you're lucky if you managed not to make too many big mistakes. Sounds like a dating simulation to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Waleke
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
or zombies or ...
badge
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams
mbmbmbmbmb
In Punk sucht Lady everyone is running a matchmaking service, (having no idea what a Japanese dating sim is I am not sure how close that is)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not into the Anime Dating Sim thing, but I've been thinking recently that I REALLY wish there was a Harvest Moon or Stardew Valley equivalent board game. Both of those games have marriage as an important aspect of the game.

Agricola is the closest it gets but Agricola feels IMMENSELY different from Harvest Moon. I've been playing with the idea of designing one myself with some tile laying mechanic for farm management, but sort of hope someone else gets to it before I get the free time together laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus Rhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I think that this situation absolutely requires
badge
a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny Friends is sort of a life sim type game, there's dating, sex and marriage involved if I remember correctly. Haven't played it in like a decade, so I might be mis-remembering it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ponder Stibbons
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
Reading furnishes the mind only with materials of knowledge; it is thinking that makes what we read ours. John Locke
mbmbmbmbmb
Tanto Cuore is a harem of maids with anime art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not very "Japanese dating sim", and admittedly not out yet, but Fog of Love seems pretty unique in the 'relationship' genre.

Disclaimer: I am a KS backer of this game but have no other affiliation with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take your pick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shirley Sheak
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
I want to play boardgame with my friends everyday, but realised it's just an unrealistic dream.
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently there was a kickstarter project - Love Formula by Japanime. This game was basically trying to create a perfect date for couple, kinda like set collection and a little bit of take that to ruin other player's date. There are videos on the KS page so you may see how it's played and to decide if that's the game you're after. Also, anime is the theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a couple Jane Austen themed courting games, Marrying Mr. Darcy and Jane Austen's Matchmaker. Then of course, there's Love Letter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Prather
msg tools
I've been wanting to design a game that's a mix of dungeon crawl and a dating sim!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Perreira
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Hey! I'm doing some research on other dating sim board games... turns out there aren't many (evident by this thread and google searching).

I was researching them because I've been working on one for two years! If you're interested I can hit you up with some info, haha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall COBB
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Harem Wars just kick started. If you squint real hard and use your imagination, Tentacle Bento.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fog of Love is obviously the most topical recommendation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aiko van Wingerden
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Oh my goodness that would be hilarious!

I wonder. Would it be a co-op game in which you have to work together as a single "person" to acquire a girl-/boyfriend or would it be a competition of sorts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K J
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like these are the kind of boardgames that fits ppl that are desperate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aiko van Wingerden
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Rox4Games wrote:
Seems like these are the kind of boardgames that fits ppl that are desperate.

Just out of curiosity, do you watch horror movies cause you're just desperate to get murdered by a guy in a hockey mask?

TBH I'm more of a visual novel guy myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
PoppinFresh84 wrote:
I've been wanting to design a game that's a mix of dungeon crawl and a dating sim!

The amusing part is that, iirc, many dating sims have CYOA mechanics, which, of course, have been applied to dungeon crawls. Additionally, you will often have resources, such as money and time. With money, you can buy gifts from those you are courting. With time, you can go on dates (once you've unlocked their willingness to date you!), have part-time jobs (to make money to buy those gifts!), etc. etc. Dungeoncrawls, also of course, require money, to buy better equipment, healing, and so on!

FFG's Fallout (!) has shown you can create a CYOA in boardgame form, with the decision tree expressed by a deck of cards (you add more cards to the deck as storylines are "unlocked"). In a dating sim boardgame, the deck might start out with acquaintance-level events. Once you become a friend with a MOTOS (maybe you'd be taking their acquaintance cards out of their deck as you encounter them), you'd shuffle in their friend cards into the deck, etc. etc.

Storyline games, where the game *story* state changes is a recent boardgame styles, since many of these games have low replay value. Some legacy games are an example, and FFG is also coming out with its Legacy of Dragonmere (?) which has decision points like a Japanese dating sim.

Okay, time to get out the Maid RPG game and make a boardgame out of it! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aiko van Wingerden
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
PoppinFresh84 wrote:

The amusing part is that, iirc, many dating sims have CYOA mechanics, which, of course, have been applied to dungeon crawls. Additionally, you will often have resources, such as money and time. With money, you can buy gifts from those you are courting. With time, you can go on dates (once you've unlocked their willingness to date you!), have part-time jobs (to make money to buy those gifts!), etc. etc. Dungeoncrawls, also of course, require money, to buy better equipment, healing, and so on!

FFG's Fallout (!) has shown you can create a CYOA in boardgame form, with the decision tree expressed by a deck of cards (you add more cards to the deck as storylines are "unlocked").

Storyline games, where the game *story* state changes is a recent boardgame styles, since many of these games have low replay value. Some legacy games are an example, and FFG is also coming out with its Legacy of Dragonmere (?) which has decision points like a Japanese dating sim.

Okay, time to get out the Maid RPG game and make a boardgame out of it! laugh

I think you could create a really interesting campaign based game around this, where the "dates" you go on are the game scenarios and the rest is handled through a choose your own adventure type game. Not sure how a dungeon crawler would simulate a date though... That's one hell of an abstraction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
PoppinFresh84 wrote:

Wasn't that the idea of Dragon's Lair?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
RedStuf wrote:
I think you could create a really interesting campaign based game around this, where the "dates" you go on are the game scenarios and the rest is handled through a choose your own adventure type game. Not sure how a dungeon crawler would simulate a date though... That's one hell of an abstraction.

ROTFL -- No, just the mechanics would be the same. If you choose to do A, you go to page X. If you choose to do B, go to page Y. Make a skill check for skill PDQ. If you fail, go to page Z.

Man, that Daphne. Hubba, hubba! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathon Tonkin
msg tools
mbmbmb
dating sim games
Try Heart of Crown its a deck building game where each player selects a Princess (waifu) and then tries to get their Princess on the throne.

Pretty decent japanese deck builder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Relationship Tightrope was a balancing game with a relationship theme pasted on. I say "was" b/c IIRC, they rethemed this with the original tightrope walking theme.

Hell, for new dating games, incorporate online dating and with apps too!
Plenty Of Salmon
Burger Meets Fries
aHarmony
GamersOnly

laughkiss

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.