Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Douglas Blount
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The description says this is an introduction to a wider system. What else is planned for release?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this even released yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harvey
United States
San Dimas
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Douglas,

There is a tank sub-system that will be included with the upcoming game "Operation Musketeer" (Modern War #32...the next issue of Modern War after this one). That issue will include a half-dozen small tank scenarios (a few tanks each) from World War II to Vietnam, and will also include some vehicles to add to this particular game (For instance, at COP Keating, there were some Humvees parked near the main gate; those Humvees will be included with MW #32 to add to this game, even though they historically did nothing but sit there unmanned. There will also be an M-48 and some M113s to add to the Vietnam scenario of this game, as another example, just to see what it would have been like had Charlie Company had some mech support along. There is even a riverine monitor gunboat - which was indeed present during the Vietnam firefight historically - though it only took up a blocking position behind the VC's lines historically. It didn't participate in the main engagement, although it was shot at and hit by 57mm recoiless rifle fire during the fighting). So, just some extra goodies like that. There's even a Tiger tank scenario. These vehicles are more meant to introduce vehicles to the relatively simple Combat Veteran system.

After that, there is a dedicated tank game called Gembloux about the failed German tank attack through Belgium in 1940. The tank rules that will be introduced in Modern War #32 will be virtually identical, but this game won't appear until 2018.

I had a proposal in Modern War to use this system for Fallujah (the Marines fighting insurgents in the Jolan neighborhood), but I'm not sure if it's gotten the pledges it needs to get a thumbs up.

During the next round of megafeedback proposal submissions in Strategy & Tactics and World at War, it was my intention to submit a plethora of scenarios for this relatively simple combat system. World War II infantry combat would feature prominently, of course, but I'm open to any ideas that would entail about a company or two of infantry in any time period and era. I've been lobbying Decision Games to come up with a tactical infantry combat system for years and years, and so now we finally have it. I see every opportunity to do all sorts of scenarios from all sorts of eras that can include individual soldier game pieces, anything you can think of.

To this end, Doc at DG has even decided to have a new counter sheet die cutter made up that would allow multiple sizes of counters on the same counter sheet. This allows Combat Veteran scenarios to include infantry and vehicles (since the aforementioned vehicles are bigger counters than the infantry counters included in this game).

Eric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harvey
United States
San Dimas
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
Is this even released yet?

Martin,

It is being shipped as we speak, yes.

Eric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Blount
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric,
Thanks for your reply! I'm pleased to hear about the plans for "Combat Veteran" and am looking forward to picking up the first release with the latest issue of Modern War. I've not been a subscriber, but this interests me enough to change that.
Thanks again!
Doug
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harvey
United States
San Dimas
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dblountster wrote:
Eric,
Thanks for your reply! I'm pleased to hear about the plans for "Combat Veteran" and am looking forward to picking up the first release with the latest issue of Modern War. I've not been a subscriber, but this interests me enough to change that.
Thanks again!
Doug

Great to hear, Douglas; thank you for the kind words.

I will note that, among the playtesters that have played the game, they tend to think the Afghanistan scenario is the harder of the two, but both seem to be very well balanced.

In either case, one thing I am very excited about is that actual infantry tactics seem to work particularly well in this game, and not because of special rules, but just because they work. If you can set up a good cross fire, for example, things can get dicey.

If I were to do a World War II one next, I think the Normandy beaches would be a candidate for this reason. Machineguns rule in this system.

But I digress....

Anyway, thanks again for the encouragement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric, thanks for the added insights on this game, and for real and potential future additions. I'm all for that!

My plan is to order this plus MW 32 when 32 is released, to save on shipping. I hope the CV issue isn't sold out by then! I do appreciate your mention of the CV supplemental counters on the MW 32 sheet.

I realize WW II will be a popular theme, but I hope you'll continue with postwar material as well. In fact I'd like to lobby for some more Vietnam scenarios, featuring NVA/VC-vs-ARVN fighting.

I think it would be interesting as a player to face the challenges ARVN infantry leaders had to deal with, from understrength or undermotivated conscripts through well-trained, high-morale Rangers and Marines. The topic also provides for both built-up-area combat (An Loc, for instance, where one will even see tank-hunting with LAWs) and a variety of rural settings.

Another very-much-ignored realm would be the British in Malaya.

I look forward to playing your system--your name as designer had me very hopeful from the early announcement on the DG "upcoming" page, I like your designs--and hope you can continue to release new games using the design for a long time to come.

Finally, you deserve to be commended on your care in research down to the individual-soldier level. Thanks for the hard work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harvey
United States
San Dimas
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That's very kind of you to say, Barry, and I am really pleased to hear that someone appreciates those little extra levels of detail. I love that kind of thing and endeavor to include it whenever I can get the information.

As a matter of fact, there's always little details that nobody will ever be aware of, whenever I can manage it. For instance, in the Firefight at the Rice Paddy Angle scenario, there's one soldier named Nall (James Nall is his full name) who is an African American. If you look very closely at the counter (when you get the game), you can see that the game piece even has him rendered that way.

It's a little insight that nobody would ever know had I not pointed it out, but it serves as an example of little details that go unmentioned. I was always one of those wargamers that hated when games would use an Me-109 to represent all German fighters, ya know, so I like this kind of thing.

James Nall, incidentally, is a nice and funny guy. I had to pleasure to meet him once, and he's a laugh riot. But more than that, he was eventually awarded the Bronze Star for heroism in Vietnam, and well-deserved. During the Firefight at the Rice Paddy Angle, he was an M203 gunner (which was known as the XM148 back then). This is another bit of detail that the game reflects; all of the soldiers (including the VC!) are set up by the scenario with the weapons they actually carried. When the scenario specifies a particular VC soldier is to be set up with the MG, he was the actual guy that manned that MG.

But to your point about future games, I would love nothing more than to do a whole series of these games. I don't claim to be a great designer, but I have been an ASL player since the 80's and have always loved tactical games, so I think this game captures all the relevant details of tactical combat without the excessive detail that you find in ASL. So, yes, I'd be thrilled to do numerous games with this system on Vietnam or you-name-it. As it stands, I think customers are waiting to see what Combat Veteran is all about as a game before they vote more of them into production via megafeedback. This is only fair, of course. People have to see if the game system is to their liking.

I'll get around to posting a little tutorial when I can get a spare minute. In the meantime, I'll post some pictures that give a brief description of some basic mechanics.

Eric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric, nice touch on the Nall counter graphic. I try to do similar things with small-unit miniatures painting.

I'm very impressed that you were able to suss out the VC force well enough to determine their equipment man-by-man, as well as names. I dislike "nameless foe/bad guy" depictions in games if there is an alternative--it's all too easy to dehumanize the opposition.

I hear you re future possibilities. Of course it will all hinge upon player reception of the game system, and marketing considerations for the future.

But some games have exceeded expectations in presenting "obscure" or under-represented topics/conflicts. I hope it proves to be so for the CV series.

And thanks very much for the "relevant details of tactical combat without the excessive detail (of ASL)" approach. Sold off my ASL collection for precisely this reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harvey
United States
San Dimas
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I will always have a fondness or love for ASL; it's almost a part of my DNA - having played it for so many years - but the requisite investment to play it is beyond most wargamers these days.

You may have been much wiser than me to sell your ASL cache (which I cannot bring myself to do) because the ASL fans out there are not being replaced with younger players who have too many other options to play these days.

But that's a story for another folder.

Eric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barry Kendall wrote:
Eric, thanks for the added insights on this game, and for real and potential future additions. I'm all for that!
I realize WW II will be a popular theme, but I hope you'll continue with postwar material as well. In fact I'd like to lobby for some more Vietnam scenarios, featuring NVA/VC-vs-ARVN fighting.
I think it would be interesting as a player to face the challenges ARVN infantry leaders had to deal with, from understrength or undermotivated conscripts through well-trained, high-morale Rangers and Marines. The topic also provides for both built-up-area combat (An Loc, for instance, where one will even see tank-hunting with LAWs) and a variety of rural settings.

I second this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harvey
United States
San Dimas
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I am pleased to say that I'm getting enough good feedback on this game by now that I can envision doing a whole series of games using this system, including various Vietnam games (with ARVN, NVA, Marines, et cetera, yes), and World War II and anything we can think of. The system is simple enough that it can provide the infantry experience every bit as well as most any other tactical game with only a relatively short set of rules.

I had a proposal for a Fallujah scenario (insurgents against U.S. Marines in the Jolan neighborhood in Iraq), but I don't think that it picked up the votes it needed to go forward, at least not yet). Now that this game is out, the Fallujah game may see an uptick in pledges, but I am glad to see many more designs come out of this system.

Eric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading this now
, just reading about the Target Oscar Eight which was a company sized BDA mission 15km inside Laos. I think it would fit this system although the Hatchet force was company sized for the mission I was reading.

Oops just noticed Mike Force is coming down the road... awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giuseppe Gessa
Italy
Porretta terme
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks harvey for this very good game
as other before me have said, I was waiting from long to have a simple tactical game without the headache of ASL.
This sistem can be used as said in a lot of situations and period using the same base rules. take in mind also some scenarios in WWI - russian civil war -
another idea is to put in the magazine every time just a page of new scenarios ala ASL - panzerblitz, just which map use , starting conditions and objective. this will fidelize more the players with your sistem and the magazine
my best
GG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giuseppe Gessa
Italy
Porretta terme
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And some geomorphic maps will be nice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.