United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thoughts on Dunkirk:

- I really liked the structure of the 3 intercut stories, one taking place over a week, the next a day, and the last an hour.

- I did not recognize Cillian Murphy at all. He looked more like a knock-off Benedict Cumberbatch. Must be the uniform.

- I did not find Harry Styles distracting at all, mainly because I don't know what he looks like. There was one character who did have a very punchable face. Guess who that turned out to be?

- Tom Hardy reprised his role as Bane. You can at least understand him this time.

- Kenneth Branagh: "So what do I do again?" Chris Nolan: "Stand here. Don't move. For the entire film."

- Chris Nolan: "Get me Joseph Gordon Levitt!" Casting director: "He's unavailable." Chris Nolan: "Then get me his non-union Irish equivalent!"

- Mark Rylance: "So what do I do again?" Chris Nolan: "Stand here. Don't move. Pretend to steer once in a while." Mark Rylance: "Do you want me to do 3 variations of the same line like I did in Bridge of Spies?" Chris Nolan: "No, we gave that to Kenneth."

- Hans Zimmer: "Anything in mind for the score?" Chris Nolan: "How about you make it go da-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-da-na-na-na-na-na-na-na in the background for the entire film." Hans Zimmer: "So, the usual then?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Sexby
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do some Americans turn up and save everyone?laugh

Seriously, though, is it worth seeing, or is it just one long, crash-bang-wallop, loudly scored chase movie? Nolan is, for me, one of the most wasted talents in modern cinema, who has totally shat away the considerable potential he demonstrated with Momento to produce loud, pretentious, vapid, overlong schlock (albeit with some visually arresting moments?)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Edward Sexby wrote:

Seriously, though, is it worth seeing, or is it just one long, crash-bang-wallop, loudly scored chase movie? Nolan is, for me, one of the most wasted talents in modern cinema, who has totally shat away the considerable potential he demonstrated with Momento to produce loud, pretentious, vapid, overlong schlock (albeit with some visually arresting moments?)...

It's both. The film is one long climax, but it's also short--only 1 hour 40 minutes.

I'm going to have to disagree with your assessment of Nolan's career (except for Interstellar).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

- Dogfights looked great

- There is no way there were 5,000 men on that beach, let alone 300,000

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harmonica
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
Keep your lovin' brother happy!
mbmbmbmbmb
Guess where it has been filmed ...

The figurants had to be looking British ... red/brown hair, pale, spotties.

Edward Sexby wrote:

Well ... in the very end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anemaat wrote:

The town near the beginning, and seen again near the end, is Weymouth where I grew up. It is named on screen in the latter. Also a comment on the cliffs of Dorset. My mother still lives there and knew about the filming. I didn't but recognised it instantly ("looks like Weymouth, slight shift, it is Weymouth").

Weymouth has various WW2 connections, those about D-Day are more advertised these days (including a new small private museum on Portland). It also claims Lt. Cmdr Gerard Roope VC as a Weymouth man (though he wasn't born there). If his name isn't familiar, Google HMS Glowworm and its final action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anemaat wrote:

The figurants had to be looking British ... red/brown hair, pale, spotties.

Edward Sexby wrote:

Well ... in the very end.

Those were Germans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
Thoughts on Dunkirk:
o Kenneth."

- Hans Zimmer: "Anything in mind for the score?" Chris Nolan: "How about you make it go da-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-da-na-na-na-na-na-na-na in the background for the entire film." Hans Zimmer: "So, the usual then?"

I thought this was interesting.

Check out the youtube video linked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hamzy
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Ace race, baby!
badge
I, for one, welcome your mouse pointer.
mbmbmbmbmb
So why weren't Mr. Dawson and Peter more upset when the soldier critically hurts George and then when George dies?

I thought the special effects of the ships sinking were pretty good. I wonder how much of a full sized set was used for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
hamzy wrote:
So why weren't Mr. Dawson and Peter more upset when the soldier critically hurts George and then when George dies?

I thought the special effects of the ships sinking were pretty good. I wonder how much of a full sized set was used for them.

They were upset but what were they going to do? Turn around? With the note about them losing their brother/son it was pretty clear that the dad was determined to help out whom he could because he couldn't help his son. So yes, George was a tragedy but they couldn't just turn around and give up. Greater good and all that. At least that was my take.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stymie says, "No Fidgets"
United States
SF Peninsula
California
flag msg tools
"Nobody down here 'cept us dummies"
badge
"Betcha can't throw that donut on my finger"
mb
I thought it was overrated and kind of sucked. I didn't care about or like anyone. I hated the music. Character development was severely lacking.

But I'm in the minority who really don't think Nolan is all that...my kids liked it.

So get off my lawn has officially arrived I suppose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vandemonium wrote:
hamzy wrote:

They were upset but what were they going to do? Turn around? With the note about them losing their brother/son it was pretty clear that the dad was determined to help out whom he could because he couldn't help his son. So yes, George was a tragedy but they couldn't just turn around and give up. Greater good and all that. At least that was my take.

I thought it's because they're British. Showing any emotion other than "cheeky" is beyond their capacity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stymie says, "No Fidgets"
United States
SF Peninsula
California
flag msg tools
"Nobody down here 'cept us dummies"
badge
"Betcha can't throw that donut on my finger"
mb
I will pop in again and say I agree that Memento was a great film...I don't think he's done anything since to top it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.