Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony C
United States
Ferndale
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't had a full read through the of the rules from Downforce but I'm curious if anyone could tell me if I could play my old copy of Detroit-Cleveland Grand Prix with the rules from Downforce? I know Downforce streamlines the auction for cards which I don't imagine will be difficult to do and I know Downforce adds variable player powers which I'm sure I can't recreate but considering I already have DCGP, I'm hoping I can spruce it up with Downforce rules as a variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Hale
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Meisterjäger
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Top Race and Daytona 500. I was thinking just the opposite, using my tracks from top race and Daytona with the new Downforce components might be fun too. They all look similar with the exception of number of spaces on the tracks (all the tracks seem to be between 50-54 spaces)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Fuss
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll need to add the three betting lines to the track. I also think that the speed 10 cards in DCGP are now speed 8 cards in Downforce.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Hale
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Meisterjäger
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks rick for pointing that out! Top race and Daytona 500 have different numbered speed cards. Top Race 10 Daytona 9 and Downforce is 8. I guess just as long as you have enough speed on the cards to make all the cars go around the track and across the finish line, then it will work.(The pit stop variant for the longer 60+ spaces on the top race tracks). I wonder if other tracks from other games might work just the same. (Thunder Alley , Grand Prix etc..)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jacobson
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's nothing deal-breaking in there. You should even be able to print up your own copy of the player powers and use those as well. The decks are pretty close. We did swap out the switch cards for 5-2 wilds and changed the top speed cards to 8. Some of these are from other versions of the game.

Have fun! Let us know how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Shoot
United States
Ferndale
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dexdouglas wrote:
I haven't had a full read through the of the rules from Downforce but I'm curious if anyone could tell me if I could play my old copy of Detroit-Cleveland Grand Prix with the rules from Downforce? I know Downforce streamlines the auction for cards which I don't imagine will be difficult to do and I know Downforce adds variable player powers which I'm sure I can't recreate but considering I already have DCGP, I'm hoping I can spruce it up with Downforce rules as a variant.

Hey Anthony! I have a copy of DCGP too... let me know if you try it and whether it works out. I'd be interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tod Andrew
Australia
Wollongong
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To play DCGP with Downforce rules;
1a. Should the switch cards be simply changed to 5-2 wilds?
1b. If playing with 4 or 5 players, would two of these cards be removed so the deck is now 40 cards and hence divisible by 4 or 5?
2. Should the 10 speed cards be changed to 8 speed (or would it make it too difficult for cars to complete a lap?)

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Blumer
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've asked the same questions for Daytona 500 in a thread at https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1840029/downforce-variant

1. The player score pads are available in the Downforce files section -- so the streamlined bidding is easily doable.

2. The player powers all should work with the exception of "Determined". With that power, if your car has moved into perfectly rectangular spaces you can move your car 2 more spaces on that turn, even if it is an opponent who is moving your car. This shows the substantial difference between Daytona 500 and Downforce's maps. I think some special power in the curves could be created. Ideas I've had is you can stay in the passing lane on a turn, but that would not prevent others from using that space for passing.

3. Betting Lines -- Daytona has a slightly fewer spaces than Downforce. The betting lines in Downforce are 12 spaces from the start and then 12 spaces apart. For Daytona the line before the first two curves and the mid-point between the curves are 11 spaces apart and should work. I thought I'd mark them with a strip of Post-It note paper.

4. I planned to keep the 9 speed cars of Daytona.

I haven't had a chance to play yet so interested in others' thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Kent
msg tools
Are the scales of DCGP and Downforce similar? I'd like to pick up a copy of DCGP and use the track to play Downforce, but that requires the cars to be approximately the same size in each game.

Related: I love Formula D's interpretations of real racing circuits, and it seems like Downforce might be going that direction too (with Singapore)? Just wanted to say that's a really enjoyable part of Formula D for me and I'd encourage more realizations of real tracks in future Downforce expansions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.