7 Posts

Pathogenesis» Forums » Rules

Subject: Multiple questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JeanFelix Cote
Canada
flag msg tools
Over the last month, I played around 10 games of Pathogenesis with my friends, solo, co-oop, competitive, etc. I came up with a couple of questions

1. When you draw an additionnal card for the immune response (from the effect of a chemokine or a immunoglobulin) do you add up the attack values, for example I draw a dendritic attack of 4 and a fever attack of 2, would the total attack on my pathogen be 6? Also, does chemokine makes you draw a card right now or only from your next turn?

2. If I don't break the barriers and stock up on cards, it seems like it's too easy after the defeat the immune system, is there a timer of some sort I haven't understood?

3. Since we add token at the end of the turn if someone has 2 pathogen and draws 2 immune card like IgM and T Helper does it means that only one pathogen dies and after I have to link 2 pathogens? So should tokens be added after their initial draw?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Moon
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Pay-the-Piper: Two-handed Cribbage Solitaire (Kindle)
mbmbmbmbmb
For question #2, take a look at the shaded portion of the "Phase 5: Clean Up" rules on Page 4 of the rule book. I had the exact same question and missed this during my first read of the rule book. Depleting the Immune Response ends the game in favor of the body. This seems counter intuitive at first. If the body's immune system is fully depleted, the body has become immune, so this acts as the game's timer...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Moon
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jf1492 wrote:

1. When you draw an additionnal card for the immune response (from the effect of a chemokine or a immunoglobulin) do you add up the attack values, for example I draw a dendritic attack of 4 and a fever attack of 2, would the total attack on my pathogen be 6? Also, does chemokine makes you draw a card right now or only from your next turn?

See Phase 3: Immune Response, Step #3 and Step #4 on Page 9 of the Rule book. "If more than one Immune Response card is assigned to the pathogen, the attack value is the sum of the attack values assigned...". Per Step #4, The Chemokine token is added after movement and attack resolution so it would not draw an additional card until the following turn. In contrast, the card text on the lgE antibody, specifies to "immediately" draw a new card after placing the lgE token which I assume means to resolve the attack for the new card during the same phase and not wait until the next turn. This seems to contradict the rule that tokens are placed after movement and attack resolution, but most games I have played like this specify that card text overrides the standard rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Moon
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jf1492 wrote:

3. Since we add token at the end of the turn if someone has 2 pathogen and draws 2 immune card like IgM and T Helper does it means that only one pathogen dies and after I have to link 2 pathogens? So should tokens be added after their initial draw?

Yes, because the lgM connector is added after resolving the Immune System attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emspace
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
jf1492 wrote:
2. If I don't break the barriers and stock up on cards, it seems like it's too easy after the defeat the immune system, is there a timer of some sort I haven't understood?

Trying to understand this question and strategy better; is this what you mean?

Instead of depleting all the barrier cards in any body tract as quickly as possible, you continue to play the cards in hand to buy better gene pool cards and pathogens. During this starting period, you never or hardly ever place a pathogen in play so you never or hardly ever do Phase 4: Pathogens Attack The Body.

Since you rarely remove barrier cards, but are always buying better pathogens and gene pool cards, you have time to build your deck effectively and thin it.

Once you’re ready, you play super-strong pathogens and start attacking barriers on a tract until you trigger the Immune Response.

At this point, you feel you have enough strong cards that you’re able to systematically defeat all the Immune Response cards in subsequent rounds.

Is this correct?

I haven’t played my first game yet, so I don’t know if this is the standard strategy or if this breaks the game? Is this the question you’re asking?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
jf1492 wrote:

Just a note, I believe you have to attack the barriers. Obviously normal flora do not defeat any of the barrier cards, but opportunistic pathogens defeat the weaker ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilja Preuß
Germany
Karlsruhe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jf1492 wrote:

Page 4, green box at the bottom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.