Dominant Species» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Boardgames above & beyond rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kim ----
Belgium
flag msg tools

Hi guys,

Years ago, when starting out this hobby, Dominant Species was a game that I enjoyed very much. One day it got on the shelf and it was like it moved in there. We haven't played this game for a long time. Lately I'm in kind of a nostalgic mood and we took it of the shelf where it lived now. It got another play in. Today I want to tell you how I enjoyed playing this!

With this board game you travel back in time. It's not to the start of my board game hobby but way back. The game takes place ages ago, in 90.000 BC. The great ice age is freezing over.

Every species has to fight for their survival. They are adapting to the slow-changing earth and keep it's population up.

In this game each player takes on the character of one of the six major animal classes. There are mammals, reptiles, birds, amphibians, arachnids and insects. The role that you choose will also determine where you stand in the balance of things. This balance is quite natural and it is survival of the fittest.

The game is an action pawn placement game. Every player wants to be dominant on as many different terrain tiles, so that we can collect card effects. On top of the also victory points are linked to these terrains.
To get to this point players are aided by branching out like speciation, migration and adaptation.

The one with the most victory points, aided by it's domination, will be the winner of this game.

I love to connect with Dominant Species again. This game is rather complex and for me it was searching what every action did again. It was also not immediatly clear to me how every action was useful. Luckily it became clear very quickly how to everything added up.

The game took quite long for us. We played almost two hours and it was only a two-player game. It didn't feel like two hours though, because it just flew buy. You're thinking al the time about what is happening next, how to save yourself or how to sabotage the other players. I really like this balance and how to tilt it.

This game is a thumbsup: 9/10.

Everytime someone suggests this game I would play it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game holds its own and can blow away many, if not most of the constantly rehashed new stuff we keep seeing. A true masterpiece in game design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally got to play this recently and I really enjoyed it despite the fact that area control really isn't my thing. One of my favorite parts has to be that, despite being nearly snuffed out early on, I was still able to make a comeback. There's nothing worse than a game that you have no chance to win after falling behind early.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Charlton
United Kingdom
New Barnet
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
www.finchleygamesclub.org
mbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
I finally got to play this recently and I really enjoyed it despite the fact that area control really isn't my thing. One of my favorite parts has to be that, despite being nearly snuffed out early on, I was still able to make a comeback. There's nothing worse than a game that you have no chance to win after falling behind early.

Yeah unlike a lot of area control games your current board position doesn't really affect your ability to gain board position. You just speciate and drop a load more pieces pretty much anywhere you like to start all over again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.