Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Klinton
Sweden
Mölnlycke
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
First off, do you guys find the game too easy(Completed to Quest IV)? We are very strategic with our group of 4 heroes we seem to not have that much troubles (as long as Stars are not disabled due to event, then it hurts us).

We have the rouge (with draw 2 treasure cards use one ability) which finds a lot of good items (flaming sword, the {1} hammer and more). The healer which basically tanks a lot and use the heal as much as possible (really really good spells). And the re-rolls 1 per turn is really powerful.

The mage which can do insane amount of damage as well as removing armor/stun the big enemies.

Archer with some upgraded arrows also does a lot of damage (until we loose the arrows ).

What do you guys think?

Also some rule questions:
1. If I am engaged with an enemy L.O.S is [0{0} so I can't for instance heal someone not in my area while being engaged?

2. And can you also see your ally if you are not engaged but your ally is engaged? (basically stand 1 area away and heal into an area that is engaged in combat)?

3. Lethal hit is added as 1/2 more hits it doesn't convert one of the hits to Lethal?

4. Bash and other move away does it have to be the area that the creature came from (if applicable, some monsters get bashed straight áfter being spawned)?

5. A monster that drops a treasure does that treasure card have to be resolved straight away or is it dropped (thus enabling the rouge to take it drawing 2 cards instead of only 1)?

6. If projectile was used and the enemy icon appeared(after any re-rolls) can the projectile ability still be used or is it immediately discarded (but still normal hit applied)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deft Titan
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Similar experience as far as difficulty. 5 players with same classes as you + the warrior (which granted domination of squares often) We would spend extra time ensuring that the rogue got to draw every treasure possible, and in doing so, maxed out the stash with treasure by the time we got to quest 6.

Plenty of enemies gave us a run because of bad dice rolls, but we always had great gear and were never really in major danger of dying so long as we didn't leave somebody targetable standing on a spawn point

Godvillig wrote:

1. If I am engaged with an enemy L.O.S is [0{0} so I can't for instance heal someone not in my area while being engaged?

Correct. LOS is blocked by the enemy in your area, so no LOS healing.
Quote:

2. And can you also see your ally if you are not engaged but your ally is engaged? (basically stand 1 area away and heal into an area that is engaged in combat)?
If your ally and your enemy are in the same area, and your hero is adjacent with LOS to that area {1}, both figures are within your hero's LOS.

Quote:

3. Lethal hit is added as 1/2 more hits it doesn't convert one of the hits to Lethal?
Lethal is not an additional hit, It just converts an existing hit to lethal status. on p36, lethal hits should be resolved before normal hits, and lethal hits skip DEF steps 2 and 4, making them more likely to hit. Magic shields and enemy resistances can stop a lethal attack.

Quote:

4. Bash and other move away does it have to be the area that the creature came from (if applicable, some monsters get bashed straight áfter being spawned)?
The rule with bash is that a figure should be sent back to where it came from. However, if it never came from anywhere, e.g. it spawned there, then the basher decides where to send it.

Quote:

5. A monster that drops a treasure does that treasure card have to be resolved straight away or is it dropped (thus enabling the rouge to take it drawing 2 cards instead of only 1)?
Loot tokens and treasures are dropped face down in the area where the monster was. coins are dropped in the area where the monster was. The rogue can then move to that area and resolve loot tokens and "draw" treasure. -- for the loot token, if it's a treasure loot token, the rogue absolutely gets to draw 2 (or 3 at soul rank 4) treasure cards, because that's a draw. When the upside down treasure card is already drawn and placed... that's a bit more of a stretch, but we played that the rogue was a thorough searcher and could use her ability there too.

Quote:

6. If projectile was used and the enemy icon appeared(after any re-rolls) can the projectile ability still be used or is it immediately discarded (but still normal hit applied)?
There's nothing in the rulebook for timing on discarding projectiles. When rolling a gremlin, I would apply the projectile effects for THAT attack, and then discard the projectile, having used it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deft Titan
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had to double check that lethal bit. The example on p37 is confusing, because it says "She rolls 2 hits... and activates lethal II effect, thus inflicting 4 hits, 2 of which are lethal" However, looking at her crystal knife, she gets 2 auto hits + 3 blue dice, which explains that the extra 2 hits did not come from lethal. she got 2 auto hits + 2 rolled hits, and activated lethal II on 2 of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
We had also find the game too easy. So far nobody even came close to dying and we always had at least 3-4 rounds before a mission would fail.

We even drag things out as much as we can to maximize treasures without any fear.

We're a chaotic group with 3 heroes : The Bard, the Dwarf Cleric and the dreadlord.

The dreadlord (Me) kills almost every single enemy instantly with also AOE capability. That battle axe is nuts...

We kept hearing that quest 3 will be really tough but

(Spoiler for quest)
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Even when the party split up, as the dread lord I went to be on my own facing the enemies near the spawn point and could easily wipe out anything that came my way even without the healing from the cleric. I used a single bandage and that's about it.

True, we got an amazing luck by gaining the armor that gives an extra power, but even without it - monsters just die too fast and don't spawn enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Klinton
Sweden
Mölnlycke
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks, then we have been playing correctly. Except for the arrow discard, should have counted so at least in not in our advantage!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Bailey
msg tools
I can't help but think that maybe if it's too easy that maybe there is a few rules you might be missing. I know someone said they use the Cleric as a tank but monsters only go after center type of heroes first ie...Most gold, lowest health, etc. You can't make them always fight the one with the most health. Also while fighting certain monsters, especially in the Prologue, the blue gremlins have the defense of spike shield which hits everyone in the {0} area so everyone must roll defense. The first time played through I though it was too easy as well until I noticed I was missing a lot of rules in the beginning making my characters too strong by the 2nd scenario. I restarted my characters and had a better understanding of the rules and had much tougher time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Klinton
Sweden
Mölnlycke
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nezzwerk28 wrote:
I can't help but think that maybe if it's too easy that maybe there is a few rules you might be missing. I know someone said they use the Cleric as a tank but monsters only go after center type of heroes first ie...Most gold, lowest health, etc. You can't make them always fight the one with the most health. Also while fighting certain monsters, especially in the Prologue, the blue gremlins have the defense of spike shield which hits everyone in the {0} area so everyone must roll defense. The first time played through I though it was too easy as well until I noticed I was missing a lot of rules in the beginning making my characters too strong by the 2nd scenario. I restarted my characters and had a better understanding of the rules and had much tougher time.

"Unfortunately" all those rules have been played correctly. Getting some good armor on my rogue as well as being able to utilize some re-rolls on the mage saved us alot. Hopefully the next couple of quest will be more of a challange.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Friedmutant
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I think difficulty also depends a lot on your Hero selection. I picked Volkor and Auriel and fail missions often due to running out of time. And I think that is a symptom of not being able to dispatch enemies quickly enough. To make up for that, I usually skip chests and searches, which totally blows and makes the party lag even further behind.

I think there needs to be some "fluff" event cards added or removed from the deck depending on the "point value" of the party.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Thompson
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Godvillig wrote:
First off, do you guys find the game too easy(Completed to Quest IV)? We are very strategic with our group of 4 heroes we seem to not have that much troubles (as long as Stars are not disabled due to event, then it hurts us).

We have the rouge (with draw 2 treasure cards use one ability) which finds a lot of good items (flaming sword, the {1} hammer and more). The healer which basically tanks a lot and use the heal as much as possible (really really good spells). And the re-rolls 1 per turn is really powerful.

The mage which can do insane amount of damage as well as removing armor/stun the big enemies.

Archer with some upgraded arrows also does a lot of damage (until we loose the arrows ).

What do you guys think?

When you say re-roll once per turn you mean once per round ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Usually, when someone mentions that the game is too easy, I'm willing to bet that they are playing wrong as I have noticed one too many time people claiming that they are stomping the game only to find out later that they are playing the game heavily in their favor. It's easy to create a snowball effect when playing rules wrong from Quest 1 up to quest 6....

Having said that, if a party is doing everything right why should we expect heroes to die? Isn't it a sign of good game design when a party that performs good, doesn't have heroes dying? I think that's exactly what should happen.

But do double-check that you are playing everything correctly, especially if you find the game very easy...

PS Note that finishing ACT 1 is only half the campaign.... and some characters are supposed to be more powerful at ACT 1 than others so party composition matters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nealo Myerson
msg tools
First quest four does get much harder. Quest 5 depending on actions you took in 4 can be very, very hard.

Second, my first run through I cruised with 2 heroes, but I missed a critical rule. On my second run through with cleric, archer, and mage I used this rule. I had one death in 4. And one death and failed 5 due to time.

The rule being what hero the enemy attacks. I thought it was always nearest and then priority if tie. Then down the list. But that's. Or how it works. It's only nearest of first row has only (0). Some have (0),(1). That meant they walked past tank and smashed my poor mage. Once I used leech health at (1). Then a spawn happened (enemy power). Encounter deck had them move again. (1)... mage dead.

One critter even has (0)(1)(2). For me this changed the entire game when I realized this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Klinton
Sweden
Mölnlycke
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Incarnadyne wrote:
Godvillig wrote:

What do you guys think?

When you say re-roll once per turn you mean once per round ?

That must be it. I have been sitting on the opposite side of the table and asked if it really is so often and they say yes . Well the re-roll should only be once per round (so refreshes on timephase). Damn, now I really feel like we have cheated, but doing 20 hours of re-gaming, not really worth it .

Otherwise I have double-checked most rules(even triple, quadruple and everything seems to be in order).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Ι thought that I played the game 99% correctly too, until I found out that I've been playing Shaman's Glacial Rod ability wrong, forgetting the special effects which would have had huge impact on the outcome on several occasions....

It's really easy to think that you are playing correctly S&S while you really aren't. Especially if something seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Bailey
msg tools
I guess the question still is, you don't or can't get the better stuff until almost the end of the Prologue; so you must be doing something wrong in the Prologue to make it too east on the 2nd scenario. My thoughts again are the Blue Gremlins, unless you are just extremely lucky every time you roll defense on their spike shield (which you should not have re-rolls all the time and they do -1 armor with claw hits) something is weird. I suggest maybe just try playing the Prologue again and look carefully at everything your doing. By scenario two you shouldn't have all 3 or 4 characters at Soulrank II or be decked out in weapons and armor yet... I think you might really missing something or a lot of things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Klinton
Sweden
Mölnlycke
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nezzwerk28 wrote:
I guess the question still is, you don't or can't get the better stuff until almost the end of the Prologue; so you must be doing something wrong in the Prologue to make it too east on the 2nd scenario. My thoughts again are the Blue Gremlins, unless you are just extremely lucky every time you roll defense on their spike shield (which you should not have re-rolls all the time and they do -1 armor with claw hits) something is weird. I suggest maybe just try playing the Prologue again and look carefully at everything your doing. By scenario two you shouldn't have all 3 or 4 characters at Soulrank II or be decked out in weapons and armor yet... I think you might really missing something or a lot of things.

Actually tje prologue was the hardest one. I was really really close to dyin when we were ambushed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Olsén
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The difficulty has a big dependence on the party composition. I have not yet finished the campaign but have finished quest V one time. But, I have played quest 1-2 many many times with different groups and compositions. In quest 1 the results vary from {dying before getting to the town} to {completing the quest taking 1 damage total}.
Right now I am playing an excellent group of Morigan, Thorgar, and Tristan; we have level 2,2,3 at the start of Quest 4.

But if you find your first playthrough to be very easy it sounds like you are doing something wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
I totally agree with the above. The party composition is the biggest difference. We started the game first time, got a lot of rules wrong and decided to scrap it up and start with different characters.

Second time around, we were slaughtered and decided to pick again.

Third time we crushed the game easily.

The characters aren't really balanced, and while I can accept some characters better at start and some are better later on, everyone have to get through the start so characters who are better earlier on are factually better.

Also, there is the issue with the misprint of the Spear. It's a stash item that apparently is meant to be an act 2 item that's insanely overpowered for the first mission (though I still say battleaxe is also overpowered for its price).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Klinton
Sweden
Mölnlycke
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
GrandMasterFox wrote:
I totally agree with the above. The party composition is the biggest difference. We started the game first time, got a lot of rules wrong and decided to scrap it up and start with different characters.

Second time around, we were slaughtered and decided to pick again.

Third time we crushed the game easily.

The characters aren't really balanced, and while I can accept some characters better at start and some are better later on, everyone have to get through the start so characters who are better earlier on are factually better.

Also, there is the issue with the misprint of the Spear. It's a stash item that apparently is meant to be an act 2 item that's insanely overpowered for the first mission (though I still say battleaxe is also overpowered for its price).

You are lucky enough to have the spear . I got retail edition, can't wait for more stuff to be available!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Olsén
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thorgar and Auriel in the base set are IMO the two best and stable characters of them all, with Ecarus also being a powerful hero; so any one who has only the base game as a high likelihood of getting a rather nice party.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Malama wrote:
Thorgar and Auriel in the base set are IMO the two best and stable characters of them all, with Ecarus also being a powerful hero; so any one who has only the base game as a high likelihood of getting a rather nice party.

We played Auriel in the game where we got crushed. But admittedly, I made a terrible selection of her powers. I thought, since the first game was easy, that we don't need a lot of defenses and avoided the mirror images.

Big mistake

For our 3rd party we went with Dreadlord who deals massive damage, has tons of life and adds a lot of XP to the pool.

The dwarf cleric whose healing is insane (for first levels) and the Bard who buffs both of them pretty powerfully.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M V
msg tools
mbmb
Its too easy also for me...

I used The pirate woman (Victoria), the tank guy (Icarus) and auriel.

I gave heavy armor and shield to both he fighters, and almost nothing can get past that.

I mean even if you get the -1 or even -2 you have still 3 dices to roll for def, in the end opening doors is far more Dangerous than enemies...or do i miss something?

Also giving the power to the tank to count as 2 figures makesit even easier.

Auriel instead its squishy and quite weak, never contributed much.

Maybe the game will become harder but for now heavy armor+shield > everything.

P.S: to tell the truth i played the 1st mission with SHae instead of Victoria.
Well the whip makes any Dexterity character OP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M V
msg tools
mbmb
Nezzwerk28 wrote:

But heavy armor + shield totally negates the spike defense...or am i wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exik Exik
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
VonDodo wrote:

No, you are correct. Medium armor +1 and the shield + 1 mean no damage from blue gremlin spikes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan H
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
VonDodo wrote:

I mean even if you get the -1 or even -2 you have still 3 dices to roll for def

Watch out, when defending, you only roll one die per hit you are trying to defend. So let's say the enemy attacks with 3 hits and you have 2 passive armor, you only defend with 1 die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exik wrote:
VonDodo wrote:

No, you are correct. Medium armor +1 and the shield + 1 mean no damage from blue gremlin spikes.

Unless they control and dominate then it adds +1/+2 to the spine attack.

I find it to be pretty challenging but I don't have any heroes other than the base.

Also the Red Gremlin effectively attacks every enemy turn because of his power. I assume he even attacks when you pull the Encounter that states no enemies attack.

Also the green raiders need a save roll every time you enter the space which leads us to chasing after them for a round or two sometimes.

Also unless save the blue raiders get a sword attack too upon entering their space which often leads to them using their secondary weapon IIRC

I don't know it's definitely more challenging with 4 heroes I found then with 2/3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.