Subject: Too easy? And some questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
N F
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
I'm not too far through it, but I feel it is too easy as well. I'm playing with 2 heroes, Ecarus and Auriel. I'm half way through quest 3 and whooped the big guy without him getting a chance at me. Ecarus is almost impossible to hurt. I've read the rulebook 3 times straight through and referenced it a ton. I'm not doing any of the obvious mistakes that most people do when they say it's easy. (like rolling too many defense dice) In the first quest Ecarus basically just stayed ahead and tanked/destroyed. Then every third turn Auriel would obliterate something with Ice Manipulator. She has only gotten better since leveling.

I think there just aren't enough spawns. Anytime I'm supposed to spawn, I follow the formula and end up spawning nothing.(w/exceptions) So, I basically fight whatever the shadows are and 1-2 enemies based on story spawns.

I have gotten really nice treasure draws, but also crappy ones. I think I could have played using the spawn formula and pretending I was 3 heroes, then it would have been a good challenge. Still enjoy crawling through the dungeon though. I'm going to add a 3rd character and see how that goes. I imagine that might be even easier. If so, I'll calculate myself as 4 heroes instead of 3.

Are all the "easy mode" comments from solo players? Maybe as a group of players people are making dumb moves because they want the loot so they rush ahead and fight. Or, don't want their character to trigger the door trap, so they convince someone less well suited to take the hit. idk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually when someone says that X Hero can't die because he suffers zero damage due to armor, I have to recite the 'penetration checklist'.

0} You draw an activation card after EACH hero turn not after ALL heroes turns.
1} Blue Gremlins' claws ignore 1 Armor at all times.
2} When you are KOed, your armor is 0.
3} You roll a blue die for every incoming hit up to your armor's maximum limit, not ALL blue dice your armor provides every time.
4} Green Raider's Aimed Shot hurts, a lot... (it may also break your armor via critical hit or KO, also it can get an automatic suffer wounds effect)
5) A lone Hero will usually be against enemies that dominate his area. If this happens with Gremlins they also have Banding. Then your armor won't save you...

The list goes on for enemies you meet later but that may help a bit for the early game. In my experience until now, everyone claiming that the game is too easy, is playing some rule wrong.

Having said that, the game is not hard as long as you are making correct decisions during battles. If you are playing the battles properly then you are supposed to win, if you are doing tactical mistakes then you are going to suffer some deaths. Isn't this a sign of good game design? If someone was playing correctly with proper tactics and still lost, wouldn't that mean that the game difficulty is simply unfair and luck-driven?

So IMHO the only legit argument about the game being too easy should be something like: "I'm doing a lot of tactical mistakes and I'm still winning". THIS is too easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bowmangr wrote:

Having said that, the game is not hard as long as you are making correct decisions during battles. If you are playing the battles properly then you are supposed to win, if you are doing tactical mistakes then you are going to suffer some deaths. Isn't this a sign of good game design? If someone was playing correctly with proper tactics and still lost, wouldn't that mean that the game difficulty is simply unfair and luck-driven?

Not necessarily, but it is a different kind of game. Perdition's Mouth, for example, is deliberately brutal and incredibly hard. This game is not trying to be that, it wants you to mostly win, and the point is to experience the win and level up. Both types of games certainly have their place, and I definitely prefer this type of game in a dungeon crawl to one that sets out to murder me if I get a little unlucky.

I don't think it's a question of good/bad design, but I do think the design here is deliberate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More Mellotron wrote:
Bowmangr wrote:

Not necessarily, but it is a different kind of game. Perdition's Mouth, for example, is deliberately brutal and incredibly hard. This game is not trying to be that, it wants you to mostly win, and the point is to experience the win and level up. Both types of games certainly have their place, and I definitely prefer this type of game in a dungeon crawl to one that sets out to murder me if I get a little unlucky.

I don't think it's a question of good/bad design, but I do think the design here is deliberate.

Fair enough. You have a point there.
In my opinion, they hit the difficulty spot on with S&S. Whenever my group did a tactical mistake we paid for it (without having to restart the game because of a total party wipeout for example) and whenever we played good, we won. I think this is exactly how it should be in a campaign game.

I also believe that because some Heroes are more powerful than others at lower Ranks, certain party combinations may appear to have an easier time navigating ACT 1. I expect the same party to struggle more during ACT 2, if balancing was done right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PAUL JOHNSON
United Kingdom
HIGH WYCOMBE
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
mb
Yes its very easy. Using three heros I've breezed through the first three quests not even coming close to dying once. Heros seem to op. Fireball is crazy op.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
Very strange,

I played a game yesterday with all 5 hero's and a green raider with aimed shot, one shotted my tank from full hp to 0. This thing does +3 hits, +critical, + 2 blue dice, and 1 surge = -2 armor

So how some people never die is very strange to me :o
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
denis weber
Argentina
flag msg tools
Wait, is there a fireball spell? My auriel has only Weather related spells

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gus Silver
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Throwing my personal experience yes the games seems to be TOO easy. I can't speak for other characters but we are playing 3 main characters ranger,cleric,mage (which is by the far the worst character and underpowered). We are actually playing with rules for 5 PEOPLE (spawning, shadows etc) even hitpoints of monsters everything counts as we are 5 people. We used 1 extra power for EVERY monster and have no limits on the powers that monsters can have (we once had one with 4 powers). The only one to die is the mage which gets one shot with his 5 wounds when his mirror image fails. Never came close to losing a quest. We had 4 deaths in 7 quests with 3 being the mage. And 2 of them facing the big orc boss which killed him twice by oneshotting him.

The only real challenge was the orc boss which could take alot of damage and dish out his own. We enjoyed that one. Everything else was a breeze.
Kinda dissapointing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drglord wrote:
Throwing my personal experience yes the games seems to be TOO easy. I can't speak for other characters but we are playing 3 main characters ranger,cleric,mage (which is by the far the worst character and underpowered). We are actually playing with rules for 5 PEOPLE (spawning, shadows etc) even hitpoints of monsters everything counts as we are 5 people. We used 1 extra power for EVERY monster and have no limits on the powers that monsters can have (we once had one with 4 powers). The only one to die is the mage which gets one shot with his 5 wounds when his mirror image fails. Never came close to losing a quest. We had 4 deaths in 7 quests with 3 being the mage. And 2 of them facing the big orc boss which killed him twice by oneshotting him.

The only real challenge was the orc boss which could take alot of damage and dish out his own. We enjoyed that one. Everything else was a breeze.
Kinda dissapointing.

Your modifications would make the game difficult. Claiming that even after all these changes, it's too easy makes me pretty sure that you are doing something wrong.
I'm also on the camp that the game is overall a bit on the easy side but playing with 3 heroes while using rules for 5 players AND using the Hard difficulty rules from the manual and still finding it very easy is a bit of an overkill. Something is wrong. Double check your rules.

Easily mistaken rules:

a) Enemies activate after EACH Hero turn, not after all the Heroes have taken their turn.

b) When rolling Defense dice, you roll as many blue dice (up to the limit allowed by your armor) as the Hits that have passed through your Armor and Magical Shields, not the full Blue dice limit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof
Poland
Poznań
wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
Agreed - the game is not too difficult, but on "normal" level, playing 4 heroes and sticking with normal rules it still happens that someone dies or time for quest runs out. We actually completed the Act 1 (with Arcane Portal) and Q1 from Act 2, having Tank, Mage, Ranger and Necro. Please really carefully check if you apply all rules.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.