Subject: What bothers me about the PC version rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oliver Ludwig

Baden
Schweiz
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The implementation as PC game in general is fine, and i'm happy they did this, because regularly i had to cancel games on vassal due to bugs. some things bother me though, and could be easely improved:

1. parts of the map are covered by the card hand. on vassal i move the card hand over the huge area of the ussr. before i had the luxury of 2 screens, but the laptop screen broke. my secondary screen is big enough to have at least the option of a smaller, but unobstructed map.
2. it's sometimes hard to follow the actions of the opponent without double-checking. there should be an option of ultra-slow animations. double-checking is the ultra mega slow option.
3. there are not enough time options for online-play. the standard for live games seems to be 45 minutes, which is to fast for me. the next option is 90 minutes. i'd like to have 60 minutes.

what do others think?

btw. i just discovered some special cards. how can i play with those?

this also brings me to another thought: i heard of players, who disklike certain cards that much, it breaks the game for them. is there an option to play without certain cards? (not that i would need it)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George I.
Switzerland
Z├╝rich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Muramasa84 wrote:
what do others think?
Nothing is more irritative than not having native Linux support and having to resort to WINE shenanigans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Muramasa84 wrote:
The implementation as PC game in general is fine, and i'm happy they did this, because regularly i had to cancel games on vassal due to bugs. some things bother me though, and could be easely improved:

1. parts of the map are covered by the card hand. on vassal i move the card hand over the huge area of the ussr. before i had the luxury of 2 screens, but the laptop screen broke. my secondary screen is big enough to have at least the option of a smaller, but unobstructed map.
2. it's sometimes hard to follow the actions of the opponent without double-checking. there should be an option of ultra-slow animations. double-checking is the ultra mega slow option.
3. there are not enough time options for online-play. the standard for live games seems to be 45 minutes, which is to fast for me. the next option is 90 minutes. i'd like to have 60 minutes.

what do others think?

btw. i just discovered some special cards. how can i play with those?

this also brings me to another thought: i heard of players, who disklike certain cards that much, it breaks the game for them. is there an option to play without certain cards? (not that i would need it)
The things you cite don't bother me at all.

The numerous bugs are irritating, but not deal-breakers, the two rule changes are also poorly implemented, but also not deal-breakers for me: http://playdek.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/4575-comple...

I don't know what "special cards" you are referring to. The "optional cards" I (and most TS players) always use and are selected by the + symbol on starting a new game. The DLC card packs are only available with the DLC, but I don't like the DLC and don't use it, so they are not a problem for me.

In the end it is still the most convenient way to play TS for me, whenever face-to-face isn't possible, and about 80% of my TS games have been played on Playdek's implementation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Crowe
United States
West Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Muramasa84 wrote:
Agreed. I also would like to see a 60 minute option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Ludwig

Baden
Schweiz
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I don't know what "special cards" you are referring to. The "optional cards" I (and most TS players) always use and are selected by the + symbol on starting a new game. The DLC card packs are only available with the DLC, but I don't like the DLC and don't use it, so they are not a problem for me.

If you klick on 'settings' - 'card gallery', there are 'promo' -and 'turn 0' cards, and i didn't even know, there's a dlc.
Update: This is the dlc. haven't noticed, that i had bought it.

I haven't experienced any bugs yet. I said there are some in the vassal module.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:

The numerous bugs are irritating, but not deal-breakers, the two rule changes are also poorly implemented, but also not deal-breakers for me: http://playdek.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/4575-comple...

What rules changes are you referring to?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
mkiefte wrote:
Benkyo wrote:

What rules changes are you referring to?
US wins VP ties and Wargames loses when you tie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:

US wins VP ties and Wargames loses when you tie.

That's not a rules change. That's a bug.

I suppose the difference is that the developer did it intentionally but then we're just bantering semantics. The developer has tried to explain that away but the reality is that the bug results from a limitation of the software he's using to produce the game. It's definitely a bug.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ziemowit Pazderski
msg tools
"It's not a bug, it's a feature." :-)

But seriously, as both programmer and experienced gamer I do not consider this change a bug. Not only because it is intentional, but also because it has merit. First of all, it enables cleaner statistics, without having to display a mostly meaningless (compared to total) number.
Another plus of the change is that in competitive elimination type events draws are a problem. They cause the tournament to be either longer, or to apply some secondary tie-break to decide who advances. The game is just cleaner without them.

Having said that, in casual gaming draws are a fun, nice addition, so I don't think the game is overall better without them. It's just that they are not particularly important, so I don't have a problem with the decision to make the game without them.
And certainly I do not want to press this issue, considering how many other, way more important bugs, issues and bad design decisions plague the Playdek version of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I consider it a bug because, although the developer did this intentionally, he has stated that it was because the platform he uses didn't allow for any other possibility -- so it's a bug in the platform.

Also, the developer of a digital version of a game shouldn't get the last word on rules interpretations or changes. If it's a digital version of a board game, then it should implement the rules faithfully. Otherwise, digital and FtF players are playing with different rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
there are not enough time options for online-play. the standard for live games seems to be 45 minutes, which is to fast for me. the next option is 90 minutes. i'd like to have 60 minutes.

Thumbed for this.

There used to be 60 minutes, until they put out a new release. It takes me about 50-55 minutes to play a 10 turn game. A 60 hour game was a just-reasonable-enough 2 hour commitment, but now I'm stuck with either (a) playing faster than I'm comfortable with, or (b) playing a slow, 3 hour game I don't have time for.

I can just play with my physical copy in 3 hours. I thought 2 hours (60 min per side) was about right for a casual game in the digital version. I haven't even bothered with online play much since that changed, because now (at 90/45) it's either something I don't have time for, or something that goes too fast to be a good experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DominiGeek
Dominican Republic
Santo Domingo
D.N.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
tinderfire wrote:
Muramasa84 wrote:
Agreed. I also would like to see a 60 minute option.

I'd definitely play more if this option was available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Rodawig
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mb
I've sent them a few emails requesting 60 minutes come back. Others should as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DominiGeek
Dominican Republic
Santo Domingo
D.N.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
ChipsAhoya wrote:
I've sent them a few emails requesting 60 minutes come back. Others should as well.

Could you please post the email address?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talbot
Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
Be seeing you... -Alphonse
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've recently been playing the PC version of the game. I've been playing against the AI ... and let's face it, I'm pretty rusty. I haven't had a TS opponent in more than five years.

I've been losing every game ... until just a few minutes ago. Just bizarre. On turn three, the AI player essentially threw the game by attempting a coup against Cuba when he had enough military ops for the turn and when we were already sitting on DEFCON 1.

The game has been enjoyable so far and most of the things mentioned above don't bother me, but today's AI game made me scratch my head and wonder about the AI.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
On turn three, the AI player essentially threw the game by attempting a coup against Cuba when he had enough military ops for the turn and when we were already sitting on DEFCON 1.

If you were already sitting on DEFCON 1, shouldn't the game have already been over?

Perhaps you meant he couped from DEFCON 2 to DEFCON 1?

Worst part about AI is that as USSR, it will open with China Card a lot. If you know he has CIA Created on Turn 3 because you never drew it and it never got played by USSR on turn 1 or 2, *and* you have Five Year Plan, UN Intervention, and Duck and Cover, you can HL D&C, play FYP on AR1, and if it misses CIA (very likely), the USSR will DEFCON suicide (heck, even if you don't have UN, you can at least get AR5 and AR6 as an uncontested double action)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talbot
Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
Be seeing you... -Alphonse
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alexdrazen wrote:
If you were already sitting on DEFCON 1, shouldn't the game have already been over?

Perhaps you meant he couped from DEFCON 2 to DEFCON 1?
Oops. Yes. Typo on my part.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Wilkens
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alexdrazen wrote:
Worst part about AI is that as USSR, it will open with China Card a lot. If you know he has CIA Created on Turn 3 because you never drew it and it never got played by USSR on turn 1 or 2, *and* you have Five Year Plan, UN Intervention, and Duck and Cover, you can HL D&C, play FYP on AR1, and if it misses CIA (very likely), the USSR will DEFCON suicide (heck, even if you don't have UN, you can at least get AR5 and AR6 as an uncontested double action)

The other day when the AI was USSR, he played UN Intervention for the event while he was holding CIA Created and no China Card. He DEFCON-suicided all by himself. Very disappointing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls