Subject: Attika comment rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ralf gutzeit
Canada
toronto
ontario
flag msg tools
Decided to take a chance on Attika based on the positive press it was getting. After 2 plays my feelings are that
Attika is solid but unspectacular. No regrets as i enjoyed
both games. The likelihood of a lightning fast victory seems
to be abit of a longshot(though not impossible). The timing of your flips and builds is important. On the whole, a good
mix of strategy/luck. Rated about 7.5/10

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Attika comment
db3000 (#28816),

Out of curiosity, what games do you find spectacular? I think people would find it helpful to have a frame of reference for your remarks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
db3000 (#28816),

I introduced Attika to a number of people at a recent gaming get-together, and almost everyone enjoyed it. Some were truly enthusiastic, while others were just mildly pleased.

A game that almost everyone likes is a valuable commodity, because you can pull it out of the game bin and you probably will have a good time. I rate games like this higher just because of the commonality.

Eric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Peek
United States
Preston
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Attika was not as big a hit with my wife or sister-in-law as I had hoped, while I was extremely pleased with it. My wife prefers a game with more direct player interaction, a la Settlers of Catan. Games with trading or deal-making always go over well with my wife.
My feeling was that this is a game that is roughly three-quarters about resource management. The remaining one-quarter is about tile placement. I won the game with a lucky draw using an amphora, which gave me exactly the resource card I needed in order to build one building on the next turn and connect two shrines, while my wife and sis-in-law could no nothing, having denuded their hands of resources. If I had not won on that round, I would almost certainly have won in the next round or two, as I had played a better resource management game, including having a board tile placement ready to go at a moment's notice.
Overall, I like this game quite a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ralf gutzeit
Canada
toronto
ontario
flag msg tools
Jon Waddington (#28834), Off the top, i'd say Tigris, Puerto
Rico, Samurai, Durch die Wuste, Shark, Airlines...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
We will bury you
mbmbmbmbmb
db3000 (#28816),

Actually, I found Attika to be the same - a fun game - but unspectacular. My first game I played with two other experienced players and I won by Shrine connection but at the end I found myself going eh - I'd play it again, but wont buy it (which I was planning on doing prior to play)

There are a couple of things I think contribute to it. The rather dull components - they just seemed washed out. Second, the "group" responsability aspect of it.

I am sure my opinion will change with subsequent playings - but for now - eh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Peek
United States
Preston
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I didn't find the components to be washed-out at all, in fact they are for the most part quite colorful. For me the biggest problem with the components is that they are well-illustrated, but lack life. There is a formality to them, and the design of the player mats as well. Formal rather than fun. I would not have gone with some 'wacky' theme or anything, but I think in the hands of Herr Vohlwinkel or Frau (Fraulein?) Matthaus we would have seen a more approachable game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
RandallPeek (#29920),

I like the coldness (i.e., the classicism) of the design. Both the gameplay and the theme connote the birth of rationality that came out of ancient Greek culture. Of course, if you don't like the coldness of the gameplay, than I could see why you'd want it tempered by a warmer design; I personally like how the game went whole hog with the general feeling. But I can understand why it wouldn't be for everyone (or every mood).

By the way, although I really like Attika, it seems strange to me that a game like this should have had such high expectations foisted on to it. There are a ton of comments that essentially say, "OK, although it's certainly no Settlers", but none that actually say, "It's second coming of Settlers!". I see lots of backlash but I remember no initial hype...did I miss something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonardo Gonzalez
Mexico
Laredo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
db3000 (#28816),

For me Attika does not a good mix of luck/strategy. In the strategy side it is too serious.

On the luck side the game has a considerable amount of it by the cards, building and landscape tiles you draw.

IMO it could have been a good game but the game doesnt mesh well together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonardo Gonzalez
Mexico
Laredo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
db3000 (#28816),

For me Attika does not have a good mix of luck/strategy. In the strategy side it is too serious.

On the luck side the game has a considerable amount of it by the cards, building and landscape tiles you draw.

IMO it could have been a good game but the game doesnt mesh well together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Boone
United States
Berea
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
shumyum wrote:
By the way, although I really like Attika, it seems strange to me that a game like this should have had such high expectations foisted on to it. There are a ton of comments that essentially say, "OK, although it's certainly no Settlers", but none that actually say, "It's second coming of Settlers!". I see lots of backlash but I remember no initial hype...did I miss something?

Maybe this:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/playstats.php3?action=viewmonth...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
Hubajube (#30150),

Yeah, that would do it, although you would think that the hype would come before the increased playing. Anyway, game perception is definitely a black box to me...like I said, I like the game, but (to grossly paraphrase what others have said in this thread) it doesn't have much sex appeal... I can see how Mare Nostrum or Sid Meir's Civilization got overhyped, but Attika must have some je ne se quois about it that eludes me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nomadic Gamer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shumyum (#30158),
I think is IS spectacular. The design is unique and deep.
Repeated playings make me want to play "perfectly", yet this
is without the reward for connection variant. The vast majority of gamers I've met LIKE this game. Thus a high rating. Also the lack of errata points to a solid design.
I hope this game sells well.
For perspective: games popular in my group(s) that I like:
El Grande (expansions), Conditierri, Trias, Entdecker (4 players), Settlers (Historical).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.