Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd been itching to play this again recently, and rushed a little too much in skimming the rules to refresh my memory (this is why I make summaries!), so… we sort of failed to draft in the Draft phase (yes, you should be laughing at me). We made up for it by playing again and drafting.

You know what? We preferred not drafting at all! Just draw your 4 cards (1 of each type), and start working with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
Jonesborough (will trade by mail)
TN
flag msg tools
badge
I am Kirk Roberts.
I'd love to hear why you prefer not drafting. Pros and cons. What's better? What do you lose?

I've done it before to knock off a bit of decision-making complexity and time, but I'm not sure if that takes an essential element out or not. Certainly makes the game almost entirely multi-player solitaire (except for a few of the boost cards).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great questions.

Yeah, first off, there's enough steampunk shunting of this-to-make-that and lateral thinking in general for each player that I, for one, don't feel any appetite for other people being able to mess up my already-questionable plans any more than the occasional damage-dealing Boost card.

Not drafting: I like the reduced downtime. We all preferred getting an even distribution of the 4 types of cards. We all preferred just dealing with what we were dealt. In fact, in the non-draft game some of us were proclaiming allegiance and preference for the draft… until we followed the non-draft game with a draft game. Then everyone preferred the non-draft.

What you lose is that if you start with a crappy hand, you're stuck with it for the round for sure — at least that's a theoretical disadvantage. The reality is that when you're drafting, you're getting everyone else's less-desired cards (which sometimes were awesome, hard choices), so your crap isn't likely to get improved drastically.

The biggest advantage of not drafting is that you aren't stuck choosing a thing you absolutely need, but can't use or connect, and thus either can't take, or must just turn into dice or cogs.

It's not for everyone, and I'm only suggesting it here because the accident produced such a pleasant experience for us. I'm generally all about drafting, but in this case, I guess what diminishes it for me is that you are drafting from 4 specific types, and could end up with 4-of-a-kind. In a game like Notre Dame, you're drafting sets of 3 cards, from 9 types total, so you still risk getting stuck with duplicates, or just not what you need, but somehow it bothers me much more in this zany game than in that fairly serious one. :shrug:

I hope my observations help share some insight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
Jonesborough (will trade by mail)
TN
flag msg tools
badge
I am Kirk Roberts.
Great answer, thanks!

Makes me want to try the non-drafting next time I get the game to the table. Maybe it will leave a little time to look in on other people's contraptions during the game, which is something I wish there was more of in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that's a catch-22: By playing simultaneously, the game goes so much faster, but you miss out on watching everyone's crazy contraptions clomping along….

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls