Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jody Ludwick
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
My younger son Chad (10 yrs) was home from school yesterday and we sat down to a stimulating game of Gnostica. We used the 'learner' deck of cards as my son tends to get overwhelmed with the visuals of the Tarot deck (w/o stickers). He always prefers to use the cyan blue colored pyramids from our IceTowers game and I the purple.

Our game started out with the usual early efforts of creating as many li'l minions anywhere we legaly could (we're new to this game so our strategy has yet to be developed). I found myself on the defensive right off as Chad was delt a handful of 'shrink' cards and used them quite effectively turn after turn while giggling with that 'in-your-face' glee only little boys possess. I had no 'move' options to get out of his way and finally had to discard most of my hand in the hopes of refreshing with useful cards. This much needed turn option set me back even further as I stuggled with my hand and tried to make the most of activating the cards on the board with the few small minions I had left. Don't get me wrong, this struggle felt great! I never felt my situation was entirely hopless as the luck in the draw and 1 of 4 turn options left me with enough 'hope' to eventually turn the game around in my favor. I love that turn angst feeling of being limited from so many available options.

Yes, after about an hour of play I did finally win this game and am still considered the "Supreme Victor"! (in this household anyway). Chad has developed a 'good sport' attitude with all the games we have and play and is right now plotting his revenge, till next time.

I'm enjoying this game more and more as we play and will soon be converting to the Tarot cards exclusively. We have a Waite/Smith deck that seems to simulate well with the designers references to card abilties (Cup/Rod/Sword/Disc). I'm not quite sure as to the use of the stickers though, maybe just on the 22 Trump cards, then again maybe not.

This is a wonderful game of card management and territory control and it's coming with us to Indy this weekend for the IHSAA Swim Campionship Meet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.