Subject: Low Time Requirement Solitaire-Sustainable Wargames rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony Powell
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally play wargames solitaire and on the weekdays I only have 1-3 hours to play. I'd like some wargames that I can (after learning the rules) set up, complete, and take down in that time without having to play bits and pieces of the course of a week.

I don't have a preference in terms of Levels of War or scales, but complexity shouldn't be heavy. Also not a dealbreaker, but I'd like to try things pre-1933. If only the game's basic rules/introductory game fit my criteria, that's fine.

Games that worked well:
Waterloo
Battle of the Bulge ('81), using the Basic Rules
Kriegspiel, although I didn't like this game much

Games that didn't work well:
Bull Run
Caesar's Legions

Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are in luck, there are many of these.

For instance, if science fiction theme doesn't bother you, Nemo's War (second edition). I'd classify it as an adventure/wargame hybrid, heavy on the wargame side, from a wargame publisher. I'm itching to get my fingers on a friend's copy but he's still having too much fun with it.

I've been having fun this week with Agricola, Master of Britain (about the Roman conqueror, not about farming.) It's even shorter.

You will get many, many more answers if you try the 1-person guild, a nice set of boards for solo gamers. https://boardgamegeek.com/forum/1231871/1-player-guild/gener...

This list is also useful.
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/163029/small-simple-and-s...

It comes from the wargamers forum which is a bit hard to find.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamesubdomain/4664/wargames
and you will get many, many answers if you ask there, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Powell
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lacreighton wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions, the list was particularly helpful. Now I have some wishlisted games to look for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb
lacreighton wrote:
I'd classify it as an adventure/wargame hybrid, heavy on the wargame side, from a wargame publisher. I'm itching to get my fingers on a friend's copy but he's still having too much fun with it.
Hate to start this argument but I don't see NM as a wargame at all (after a bunch of plays). If you really want a wargame, this won't satisfy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
tonypowell wrote:
lacreighton wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions, the list was particularly helpful. Now I have some wishlisted games to look for.

I can vouch for Field Commander: Rommel (#110 in the geeklist above).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do a lot of solitaire wargaming - when I want to play a game that I can finish comfortably in one evening I usually pull out Commands & Colors: Ancients or a game from the Napoleonic 20 series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Field Commander: Alexander

Zulus on the Ramparts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Blackford
United States
Englewood
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hi-diddly-ho, neighborino!
badge
"I'll have a Shirley... No, a virgin... No, a children's... Oh, what the heck? You only live once. Give me a white wine spritzer! "
mbmbmbmbmb
adm1 wrote:
Hate to start this argument but I don't see NM as a wargame at all (after a bunch of plays). If you really want a wargame, this won't satisfy.

I'm not one to argue such points (I lump Twilight Struggle into the wargame category!), but I agree with adm1 wholeheartedly. Great solo adventure game, and one I'd recommend, but not if you only enjoy games/consims similar to those you listed.

Edit: I should add that lacreighton listed all excellent games and lists, however! Absolutely give Nemo's War (second edition) a look if sci-fi is an interest!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.