GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,299 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
205 Posts
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [9] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Conventions » WBC

Subject: Ten Thoughts on this years WBC rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kaarin Engelmann
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Event tracks create as many problems as they dispense with, besides GMs could already work with other GMs to avoid overlaps (as some Euro GMs do), but many of them have declined. All of the sudden what the GM of a Century event wants is no longer considered a priority. Further, when you start scheduling according to arbitrarily defined tracks, then someone who plays games in several different tracks (as I would say a majority of people at WBC), then you are really screwed with scheduling because it becomes extremely difficult to cross between tracks. (NOTE: I understand that some of the games are easy to categorize, but lot of games today cross boundaries. How do you assign something like Monsters or Galaxy or TTA? It becomes arbitrary, according to the scheduler's priorities.) I have experience with this at PrezCon, and I thought it did not work well at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Craig Trader
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
actuaryesquire wrote:
I should also mention I do not consider conflicts to be a scheduling problem. There are approximately 115 hours of scheduled gaming at WBC, and far more than that many hours of games I want to play. Conflicts are an unavoidable result of so many excellent games from which to choose.

I consider gaps in the schedule where there is nothing I want to play a much bigger issue, and there were very few of those. The schedule worked for me.

More like 124 hours: 15 hours a day for 8 days (120) plus last Sunday morning (4 hours).

Like most gamers, I wish more of the games I like weren't scheduled opposite each other (having to choose between Robo Rally and Power Grid is *hard*). That said, I still got to play a lot of games this year, with a lot of good gamers. There were new tournaments, along with all of the ones I've liked in past years.

One thing that worked better this year than last year (or previous years at The Host) is that many of the Euro tournaments are moving heats to the first weekend. Before 2015, there was no point (for me) in arriving before 6pm on Tuesday. In 2015, I had a full day's schedule on Monday for the first time in 9 years. Last year I drove up on Sunday, knowing that 7WD would be available Sunday night. This year I drove up Saturday, knowing that I would have 2 heats Saturday afternoon-evening, and there were other heats Saturday morning that I would have liked, except that I couldn't leave on Friday due to other conflicts. This means that my full-week membership actually feels like a full week. I expect that next year I'll be driving up Friday with the intent of gaming all day Saturday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wcraigtrader wrote:

More like 124 hours: 15 hours a day for 8 days (120) plus last Sunday morning (4 hours).

I subtracted 9 AM - 6 PM Tuesday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kengelma wrote:
Event tracks create as many problems as they dispense with, besides GMs could already work with other GMs to avoid overlaps (as some Euro GMs do), but many of them have declined. All of the sudden what the GM of a Century event wants is no longer considered a priority. Further, when you start scheduling according to arbitrarily defined tracks, then someone who plays games in several different tracks (as I would say a majority of people at WBC), then you are really screwed with scheduling because it becomes extremely difficult to cross between tracks. (NOTE: I understand that some of the games are easy to categorize, but lot of games today cross boundaries. How do you assign something like Monsters or Galaxy or TTA? It becomes arbitrary, according to the scheduler's priorities.) I have experience with this at PrezCon, and I thought it did not work well at all.

And this is why I said I had to think this one through more. Tracks are not a panacea and have very real drawbacks as Kaarin points out. Good points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Ramsay
United States
Dix Hills
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
That being said, it would be nice if we could prevent something like the ASLSK - Combat Commander conflict from this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WFRamsay wrote:
That being said, it would be nice if we could prevent something like the ASLSK - Combat Commander conflict from this year.

Yep. Also Fire in the Lake was scheduled opposite Falling Sky and so on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank McNally
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would it help if a website be available with living tentative 2018 schedule? The basis of the tentative schedule would be the previous year schedule and be editable by the previous years GM unless a new event form has been submitted at which time it locks the new proposed time in?

This sounds challenging to support (likely requiring GMs a login process) but would provide a single location to see time shifts from previous year to inform GMs open to moving their events. It has the most value if GMs with no desire to move get their forms in early.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Yope
United States
Saint Clair
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I scheduled the EotS demo on Wednesday knowing I wouldn't be doing much that day. The event is already taking a lot time the day it runs and running a demo right before it starts is madness.

Another reason for doing it that early is to give people all the time they want to go over/learn the game. Some games you can get away with quickly going over the basics right before the event starts but others need more time cover the necessary info.

Kiosk along the wall of the ballroom is my choice. Walk through the doors and look to the left. That end of the hall, wrapping around those walls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joelist wrote:
b) Relocate the kiosks. I agree with those saying that mobility impaired access can be easily improved on our part by moving the kiosks somewhere roomier.

What was the problem with mobility impaired access? I think the corridor was plenty wide enough for wheelchairs even with the kiosks on tables. I thought that was a great location. Because there's so much traffic back and forth, it served as a kind of free advertising for events. I know I stopped to look at the kiosks several times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WFRamsay wrote:

I am confident it won't happen next year, both GMs were aware but by then it was too late.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Joelist wrote:
b) Relocate the kiosks. I agree with those saying that mobility impaired access can be easily improved on our part by moving the kiosks somewhere roomier.

What was the problem with mobility impaired access? I think the corridor was plenty wide enough for wheelchairs even with the kiosks on tables. I thought that was a great location. Because there's so much traffic back and forth, it served as a kind of free advertising for events. I know I stopped to look at the kiosks several times.

When people stop to look at them it could create bottlenecks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Craig Trader
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
FrankM wrote:
Would it help if a website be available with living tentative 2018 schedule? The basis of the tentative schedule would be the previous year schedule and be editable by the previous years GM unless a new event form has been submitted at which time it locks the new proposed time in?

This sounds challenging to support (likely requiring GMs a login process) but would provide a single location to see time shifts from previous year to inform GMs open to moving their events. It has the most value if GMs with no desire to move get their forms in early.

I know that Ken's goal for 2018 is to get schedules out and in front of people sooner, both for GMs and for the people who update the scheduling apps. That would give more flexibility for everyone to see the schedules, and for GMs to negotiate changes.

(We also want to reduce the manual processes involved in producing the printed and online schedules.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Not for me. I nearly blasted a few people just by walking in my lane. Even two lanes single file was elbow busting.

When people stopped it was much worse. When you factor in scooters and wheelchairs, it was like the LIE at rush hour.

This is especially true since most people don't have the mentality of a city street getting to the final destination.

People are on vacation eating ice cream and meandering and it created all sorts of, "You are too far over, dude" scenarios.

Or you run into the one guy late for Santa Fe Rails and blast each other because he is trying to frogger it.

No good that hallway, I say.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
natsean wrote:
This is especially true since most people don't have the mentality of a city street getting to the final destination.

Yeah, it's not a street. If you are so exasperated by people having a good time chatting and looking around and enjoying themselves, I guess you could go outside or something. Personally, I think those things are great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yoper wrote:
I scheduled the EotS demo on Wednesday knowing I wouldn't be doing much that day. The event is already taking a lot time the day it runs and running a demo right before it starts is madness.

Another reason for doing it that early is to give people all the time they want to go over/learn the game. Some games you can get away with quickly going over the basics right before the event starts but others need more time cover the necessary info.

Kiosk along the wall of the ballroom is my choice. Walk through the doors and look to the left. That end of the hall, wrapping around those walls.

I like the idea of the Ballroom. Alterately there may be enough room around the walls of that central area where the main stairway is. You can't get more centrally located than that.

As for Demo times, give me at least 30-60 minutes to get to the game and we're cool. The Asst GM can run signup but the GM needs to be there when the buzzer sounds and it is time to assign tables and get people playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any input from anyone who is disabled as to the impact on them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FrankM wrote:
Too bad the Caesar title is not Augustus. Then we could follow the pattern where Augustus was the emperor and Caesar the designated heir. I suppose "Princeps Iuventutis" could be used. Based on Wikipedia-

"Caesar" had been regularised into that of a title given to the Emperor-designate (occasionally also with the honorific title Princeps Iuventutis, "Prince of Youth")"

Could be "Dauphin".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
actuaryesquire wrote:
Any input from anyone who is disabled as to the impact on them?

I heard that the elevators often opened and closed before a mobility-challenged person could get to them, so they had to guess which elevator would open, be next to it, and hope to get lucky (especially the Tower elevators.) But that it beat the Host.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Yope
United States
Saint Clair
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only scheduling issue I would bring up is that you can't start a six hour game at 8 pm. It also happened with some of the five hour games.

It's ridiculous!!!! Don't do that to the gamers or the GM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Williams
Morocco
flag msg tools
I didn't think that was even allowed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yoper wrote:
The only scheduling issue I would bring up is that you can't start a six hour game at 8 pm.

Much better than 8 am. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim McCarron
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mkiefte wrote:
Wilphe wrote:

They opened the bar in the Ski Lodge last year and didn't get many takers, the one bartender who did come down to give wait service in Rathskeller got in trouble for leaving it unattended

From discussions it seems they didn't make any more money doing it, though we were able to get wait service in there for Thursday night and the bar was open Friday for a few hours for B-17

I'd like to see something for this next year though I know we are a tight fisted bunch

I'm kind of glad they didn't. If there were civilians at the bar, it would have been annoying for the tournament players.

While I get this sentiment, as a fledgling Nano Brewer trying to get to the Micro level and actual distribution I find the offerings of 7S downright atrocious while we are there.

Bud, Heineken, Stella and its commercial ilk I have found is not beer - it is poor piss water at best. If the bar in the ski lodge has good crafts on tap I would welcome it being open (in some form as a serve and leave capacity in consideration of the games perhaps) but I have not noticed what they have because it is always closed and I always find myself disappointed in the choices I do have at the serving venues when I would like to enjoy a nice beer beverage.

That being said, to that end, I simply remedy by going off site and visit the nearby areas of PA such as Helltown Brewery in Mt Pleasant, Four Seasons in Latrobe or Whitehorse in Berlin

Less game time but more dining and beverage options to peruse. WBC is a vacation time for me. I dont need to game 24/7
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
travillaintim wrote:
If the bar in the ski lodge has good crafts on tap I would welcome it being open (in some form as a serve and leave capacity in consideration of the games perhaps) but I have not noticed what they have because it is always closed and I always find myself disappointed in the choices I do have at the serving venues when I would like to enjoy a nice beer beverage.

Seven Ten had a reasonable variety of quality beer in bottles. I am not surprised that they wouldn't sell enough decent beer to want to have it on tap. Bottles are fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Shay
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drafting in Terraforming Mars was speeded up a lot with a simple trick: draft 5 clockwise, then another 5 counter-clockwise. Many fewer decision points than holding 10 cards in your hand!
I found the game time was fine. The 5-player semifinal I was in was only 8 turns long.
Schedule conflicts are tough. I skipped the Brass final because it conflicted with my Puerto Rico Semifinal (I was in, but am also the GM). The winner of Brass had to skip the PRO semifinal. Maybe next year it could be better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Putnam
United States
Reisterstown
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent thoughts on WBC Marty.

1. Open gaming Hotness= T. Mars > Time of Crisis > T&T (maybe the length or total hours played vs. games played) > Great Western Trail (Euro) > Various Coin games. Code names is still very popular because it can take so many people. Of the hot games I played T&T and ToC and GWT no Mars for me.

2. I really want to Angola face to face one of these days. If you ever need a 4th I will probably drop everything to play.

3. Food was ok and you could kind of pick your price range. Oatmeal in the morning at the coffee place was only $1.50 and a six inch sub 6 or 7 bucks.

4. I was able to play tennis, run, hike or disc golf everyday I was there. Got to the top of mountain 3 days of there. On Biblical rain Saturday I had to settle for the treadmill.

5. The app was screwed up and me and Malloc showed up to Star Wars Rebellion a day late. We had our own person tournament over in the War Game area where we discovered the shorter lines for coffee. Darthvader (me) landed on the Revel base on the last turn but failed to clear out skies above the base thanks to Wedge blow up the Death Star in his Y-Wing.

6. Best eye candy in open gaming in the past was T3. This year no Ti3 but a number great looking Cathlu Wars in open gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [9] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.