Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
kerli
United Kingdom
Yate, Bristol
South Glos
flag msg tools
badge
I keep safe all the stories that have ever been, are and will be.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been exploring board games on Android recently, and while I've downloaded several I already have in cardboard (Catan and TTR, for example), I have also discovered a few I haven't played before, but quite liked.

I do "own" them now, and have played them lots of times, so should I add them to my collection in BGG? I do have very limited space, so it would be hard to add any physical games onto my shelf, and also Onirim, which I am kind of obsessed with right now, is really expensive to buy IRL.. But on my phone I could have another 50 or so games (more in the future, surely), try out games I have always wanted for a fraction of the cost and no extra space..

Sorry if this has been discussed before, I only just thought of it.

tuskel,
sincerely
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valdez
msg tools
tuskel wrote:
I've been exploring board games on Android recently, and while I've downloaded several I already have in cardboard (Catan and TTR, for example), I have also discovered a few I haven't played before, but quite liked.

I do "own" them now, and have played them lots of times, so should I add them to my collection in BGG? I do have very limited space, so it would be hard to add any physical games onto my shelf, and also Onirim, which I am kind of obsessed with right now, is really expensive to buy IRL.. But on my phone I could have another 50 or so games (more in the future, surely), try out games I have always wanted for a fraction of the cost and no extra space..

tuskel,
sincerely

I don't count them.

I do count electronic plays against live opponents, but not against AIs.

Edit: this is not to say *you* shouldn't count them, do what you suits you best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't check off that I own them, since I use that feature to track physical things in my life.

If I kept track of videogames, I wouldn't be counting them as owned there either.

But nothing is stopping you from using it that way if you want. Some purist out there will cry but no one actually cares. Ratings and collection management tools are there for YOU to use.

Some games I've rated I've only played digitally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elyse S.
United States
Yuba City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't add them to my collection or log plays but If it works for you go for it.
I have a lot of games because I can easily play during the day in between responsibilities. My 5yr son also likes to play some of the games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely I count video game versions of board games as being owned, the same way I would count any other video game as being owned.

Many Android and iOS versions of games are already in the database at VGG. All you have to do is add them to your collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Summertime is Christmas time
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
Absolutely I count video game versions of board games as being owned, the same way I would count any other video game as being owned.

Many Android and iOS versions of games are already in the database at VGG. All you have to do is add them to your collection.
I think he's asking if you count them in your *Boardgames* collection.

I do not. I would count them in my videogame collection (e.g. I have Ascension on Steam). But I don't play this kind of game much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kerli
United Kingdom
Yate, Bristol
South Glos
flag msg tools
badge
I keep safe all the stories that have ever been, are and will be.
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:

Ah, that's a good idea, I didn't think of them being on VGG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
I don't count them either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only count physical copies. But I use my owned list for trading and so that friends can request that I bring games to game night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Glöde
Sweden
Svitjod
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just shift to "Video Games" VGG and register them, and log plays too. Terra Mystica, Friday. But I do not use it much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Second in a one horse race
Scotland
Bloxham
Oxon
flag msg tools
Cardboard rocks. It's just not the same on iOS.
badge
F&%K YOU, DODGEBALL!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I only count physical games. I'd have a lot of doubling up, otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
badge
EZ FLASH 3 FTW
mbmbmbmbmb
They are video games, so just add them to your video game collection on videogamegeek. Geekdo has 3 main sections - board games, video games, and roleplaying games. Makes most sense to include those in the video game section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jos horst
Netherlands
groningen
groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have similar issues: do I add games I could play using other games' components? In the end it depends what's most useful to you, but I think bgg could be bettered by offering more advanced ways of filtering based on tags of games in your collection. I've considered creating extra accounts for this reason.
--
Edit: clarification

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tuskel wrote:

tuskel,
sincerely
No, but then I really do not own any digital versioins I do not own in hard copy anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know some folks don't like a wishy-washy, do what you like answer, but I think there is a good case for it.

Me, I don't record digital games as owned. However, I have a lot of physical games. I want to encourage myself to play the physical ones over the digital ones, because I look at screens a lot and a break seems a good idea.

If I wasn't in front of screens so much, if I didn't have as many games and I played digital a lot, I'd probably find it more useful to keep track of my digital plays.

If you think it would be useful to you, I'd encourage you to do it. This site is an amazing resource and help and if it helps you to record digital, why not?

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
Roll for it
badge
I + I = 0
mbmbmbmbmb
I add them to my bgg list with the 'preordered' tag. I have no intention of listing all my video games on vgg, and I do care to see them among other board games I own.

edit: During the single year I recorded plays, I did not record video game plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Smith
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not really counted them because of playing computerised chess since the 80's . It does not count in a collection surely?
Unless there is a way to add it separately for personal info and let others know you are available for gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ontario
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't personally add app versions of tabletop games to my BGG collection or plays because they are:

1) Not a physical tabletop game.

2) The app is highly device specific. I could not, for example, play my android version of Star Realms on a PC. I would need to get a separate copy for each device I want to play it on, assuming that they support multiple platforms.

3) The app could cease to work at any time if they stop supporting newer devices or if I tried to play the game on an older device after they've ported it to newer OS versions (I've had this happen before).

4) I cannot play with other people without them installing the game and having network access. That is, of course, assuming that they have the same phone OS and version that I do in order to play it at all, let alone with me.

5) I cannot sell or trade my digital games.

6) Boardgames have an entirely different physical and mental experience than their digital counterparts. Apps sometimes have different rules or mechanics since they have to obey certain requirements in order to be playable on various devices, over networks, and without rulebooks guiding their players. Certain things that players would be expected to learn and remember during a tabletop game have to be more transparent in the app in order to guide players and provide them with the choices applicable to their situation.

All these factors are inherent with video games. If I choose to add app versions of tabletop games to my collection or plays they would be added to my VGG collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
I don't count virtual games in neither my collection nor my plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Daddona
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Woof! Woof!
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

Ditto.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Jacobs
Canada
Yellowknife
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
mbmb
Easy, Nope, I consider them Computer Board Games and therefore are not part of my collection. I often use Tabeltop Simulator and Tabletopia to play games and TTS I own a few DLC's, but they are not part of my collection.

Collection consist of anything I can set up and play on my table. Or in some cases just want.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't include them. (I wouldn't include a 'knowingly' pirated or self made copy of a game either).

Some have said in the past they do.

I might over at VGG, if it was there and I was active on that site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
cowchip7 wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

Ditto.

If it's an 'app', I did for a while log them on VGG.

Yucata I don't log, they are tracked there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.