Subject: Retain - X for 1 Action . . . rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
B B

Unspecified
msg tools
Hi gang,

Regarding this treasure chit ...

Does the word "Action" mean "Action Point", or truly an action itself. Note that the chit does not use the word "Point".

If the word means "Action", then does that mean a single chit can be discarded to perform the 2 action point actions as well? Or only on Lull turns?

If the word means "Action Points" ... well, then I think it's rather self-explanatory. You simply increase your action points by one along the Action Point Track. This is the way I've been playing it.

On a side note, where is the FAQ now located at? I thought it was on the VPG website but didn't find it.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kon Stavrinos
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From Page 10 of Rules book.

Discard for an extra action
or Keep for end game scoring of two points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The FAQ is in the file section here on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Subatomic Birdicle
United States
flag msg tools
Blue-blooded lizards
badge
chomping your fingers
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. I have been playing that these were worth 1 Action Point.

Of course I saved them for Lull turns, so the distinction was academic, but it's interesting to know you can use them for a 2 Action Point Action during regular turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrBaggy wrote:
From Page 10 of Rules book.

Discard for an extra action
or Keep for end game scoring of two points.

Just curious, but has this been confirmed anywhere else? I had been playing it that +1 Action (or +3 Actions for sacrificing First Officer) meant adding that many action points. Hence the reason these were usually mentioned in the context of lull turns during strategy discussions. There is an old thread where these are talked about as adding action points, but neither Alan nor Wes chimed in there so it was purely fan talk.

I'll certainly take the more powerful version of this, but I'd like to be sure I'm playing it right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Erni
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have always played that these actions equated to "action points". This is not strictly "official" (I have been "surprised" by one or two official interpretations since release), but was strongly implied by a 3+ year old e-mail.

Originally Lulls featured one free "2AP" action -- I thought giving nothing for free but reducing all actions to 1AP offered more interesting decision-making. Part of my "case" was the possibility of players "reserving" their crew sacrifices, action gems, and "All by Electricity" for efficient "Lull-ing". I don't think Alan would have been "won over", or even let my views air unchallenged if those "bonus actions" already could be used for doing 2AP actions cheaply during "regular turns".

I was not involved for most of the "stretch-drive" activity though -- some things could have changed without my notice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I have also played it as 1 Action point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've also played it as 1 action point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad to hear Wes and some others feel the same about these.

My own unscientific reasoning (since the literal interpretation from the rulebook does indicate "actions" and not "action points") is that the rest of the game is so finely tuned and requires smart choices, it seemed more likely that we'd have to decide not only when and if to sacrifice these treasures/crew but that the timing of that sacrifice would be important.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E V
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just my 2 cents: on page page #26, Rule 13, Character Resources, you see you can sacrifice the Second Officer, the Chief Engineer or the First Officer to gain Action Points... but look at the character tiles themselves and you'll see just Actions.

IMOH, I think we could safely say that the same "interpretation" should apply to those four Treasure Tokens as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mbmb
I, too, always played these as "1 Action Points" instead of a complete Action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do we have an official ruling?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Subatomic Birdicle
United States
flag msg tools
Blue-blooded lizards
badge
chomping your fingers
mbmbmbmbmb
I find evacbs' post persuasive.

Maybe count them as 1 Action Point, but as a full Action on "Sailor" difficulty...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good find, evacbs. That's official enough for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, missed that post. Thanks, lads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I think I have also played it as 1 Action point.

TOKENS:
For Treasure Tokens discarded and Characters Sacrificed for “Action(s)” you gain that many Action Points (per the Character Resources example on p.26, Rule 13).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Alan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When in doubt, err on the side of making it harder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B B

Unspecified
msg tools
Thank you, Alan, for the official ruling. Yeah, now that the examples in rule 13 have been brought up, this seems reasonable. You may want to put it in the FAQ, imoho.

And thank you, Jack, for pointing me to the FAQ. Found it.

And thank you, everyone, for all the input.

Awe . . . group hug!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mbmb
senorcoo wrote:

This is pretty much my motto for every game. Which probably leads to a lot of frustration or mistaken interpretation of the rules, but still a good rule of thumb of have. (especially solo.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chick
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
badge
It never would have occurred to me to interpret the token as giving you an action instead of an action point, but that is what it says. A literal reading of the token is pretty clear. Glad to see this cleared up by Alan.

senorcoo wrote:

Alternatively, the rules as written unless corrected by the designer.

-Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, this is a case where you can interpret RAW as such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.