Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After a bit of hewing and hawing on what to do, I decided to post here and see those who have copies, chime in. I have decided that after designing the solo play with the tri-hex tiles version, that I think it is a deeper game, and for me, it is more fun, more options, etc. So, question is, what do I do about those who have purchased the original version?

First of all, minus the shipbuilding which must be done on the mat as before, the 4hex tiles version works for the advanced rules.

Second, the Village board is not needed in the advanced rules.

Third, it costs the same without the Village board, because there are more cuts to make the tiles i.e. more tiles fill the same sheet.

Lastly, do I offer the tiles as an expansion, or as a standalone including everything to play it with 4 players.

I don't want to alienate those who purchased the original edition, and offer anything extra that they would not be able to get without purchasing yet another thing. The tiles are not needed, but going forth, I will push those as it gives more variability, maybe for future growth.

Should I offer the original edition anymore?

The advanced rules are available for the original owners, but the tri*land edition will come with the advanced rules in the box. I think the biggest problem was with the original rules - they were incomplete, requiring players to download the appendix. I have added the appendix to the newest rules, and they are explained better I have been told by many. Still, they are not perfect because no matter what I do, something is missing or wrong for someone. I have just hoped I covered most of what everyone needs to play the game.

I guess that is a lot of questions. I just don't want to be one of the guys who makes a second edition and alienates the people who got the game to where a second edition is do-able. I kept the original owners in the loop by not adding any new components minus the shape of the tiles, and 1 more land type, but making it possible to continue to use the older versions for the advanced game. I hope that is enough, but I'd like to hear any complaints.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:

No, but don't abandon those who bought into the first edition.

Any rules modifications you do should try to include the first edition as well, outlined perhaps in a separate sheet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adamredwoods wrote:
Quote:

No, but don't abandon those who bought into the first edition.

Any rules modifications you do should try to include the first edition as well, outlined perhaps in a separate sheet.

Thus far that is what I have done. I have made it possible for original owners to play the advanced game, though the second edition does not have the village mat for the regular game. I guess I could add it, but the rules will have to be downloaded separately, similar to the advanced rules to original owners.

Maybe it is just easiest to retheme the second edition and call it some new name to separate it from the first
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Åkerblom
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am waiting to see a second edition of this game hit Kickstarer, can this happen?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bracca wrote:
I am waiting to see a second edition of this game hit Kickstarer, can this happen?

I usually go the publisher route to take that headache off my shoulders. That said, or written, one can make a print and play copy with a little skill and 22 wooden discs each player, plus assorted wooden cubes I like to borrow from German copy of Agricola.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.