Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Terebayza
United States
Coon Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While waiting for my second edition preorder to arrive, I was able to borrow from a fellow Geek a copy of Black Orchestra. It is an intense, challenging, and fun game to play and oh so satisfying when you somehow accomplish all of your plotting and scheming and take out Hitler.

Tonight I played by myself, taking the roles of General Ludwig Beck and Henning von Tresckow (both of the Wehrmacht) as well as civilian Carl Goerdeler. I played on the Standard level with Hitler's military support starting at three.

Stage One of the game was relatively uneventful as the conspirators scoured Berlin for resources and sought out plots. Some good rolls increased their motivation as they conspired. But they also watched helplessly as Hitler's military support grew and Goerdeler fell under extreme suspicion as he gathered explosives to construct a hidden bomb.

But in Stage Two, the Rally of Peace was held in Nuremberg which reduced Hitler's support from the military back to it's starting value of three and gathered all the targets of the conspirators in one place. It also allowed Goerdeler to pass through and wipe out the suspicion that had gathered around him, reducing his level to Low.

Unfortunately then the Sudetenland was occupied and Hitler's support from the army grew to 4. Some of the deputies left Nuremberg and the chance to strike early at Hitler seemed to be slipping away.

Then von Tresckow was able to conspire and foment some dissent, reducing the military's support of the Fuhrer back to three.

He then used his special ability to reveal a set of keys in nearby Alderhorst. General Beck gathered the keys, traveled to Nuremberg and turned them in, reducing his suspicion while in the presence of Hitler and staying by the side of the Fuhrer.

Then the zealot Carl Goerdeler arrived with multiple explosives in hand. He used his Black Market connections to retrieve the keys and Recruited an Officer from General Beck...and conditions were perfect to hide a bomb and pray for success. With the military support at three the conspirators needed three successes to execute their plan and their leader.

With a whopping eight dice (Civilian, two explosives, Hitler in a non- fortified space, keys, a recruited officer and the presence of Gen Beck) the heroes went for broke. The results were two fails (but with Low suspicion not a problem), four numbers and two successes.

Two.

So close.

But then von Tresckow with some Quick Reactions was able to reroll one die which came up a success!

When the smoke cleared, Hitler and Goebbels were dead in the rubble and the war came to an abrupt end - saving 35 million people.

Overall this is an excellent and tense game to play. At first I was concerned that there would be too much luck involved in the rolls and I worried that investing all this time only to fail just wouldn't be fun...but the challenge of mitigating the dice rolls with cards and strategies is just enough to balance the swings of the dice and the tension created in the waiting for the perfect storm of resources, locations and chances to coincide is what makes the game seem like an actual conspiracy. The difficulty in making all these come together is what makes the victories all the sweeter.

I'm looking forward to the second edition with some rule clarifications and some new components. It should be an excellent addition to my collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip duBarry
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So pleased when I hear about people enjoying this one! Thanks for the post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Terebayza
United States
Coon Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My pleasure...it's an awesome experience to play. Counting down the days until the second edition comes out. Thanks for the shout out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Van Roy
Belgium
Sint-Katelijne-Waver
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice post!
I'm waiting 2, i didn't play it yet but i watched alot of playthroughs and reviews:-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Salute
United States
Londonderry
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the great post! Congrats on killing Hitler!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dillon Flaherty
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you enjoyed it! We've experienced very much the same in any game above the easy mode - it all comes down to lining up that huge moment and hitting it at just the right time to have a shot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lepaca Kliffoth
msg tools
mbmbmb
Congratulations!

We took him down yesterday in Stage 6 after three unsuccessful and undetected attempts by blowing him up in Berlin. His metro train derailed prior the bombing, but due to two quick reactions he could not avert the plotting conspirators another time.

Great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.