Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: Monster with ranged attack movement question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Damon Brook
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
See attached picture. The archer has a ranged attack. How will it move and who will it attack?

The best thing would be for the archer to attack the Tinkerer, but the rules seem to always emphasize that monsters focus on closest enemy.

If it moves to avoid disadvantage on the brute, it will get stunned and end up doing nothing. Attacking up close with disadvantage also doesn't make sense.

Is attacking the Tinkerer without moving the correct sequence?

EDIT: Archer on the left, adjacent to the brute.

Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trond Roaas
Norway
Kongsberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The brute is closest, and is the Focus. The archer would only move onto a trap to get in range of its focus if there are no possible ways to get in range of its focus without entering hazardous spaces.

So - the archer will attack the brute with disadvantage.
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RoboQuest wrote:
Attacking up close with disadvantage also doesn't make sense.


Sure it does. If you had a big guy with a sword attacking you, you'd do the best you could to fight back, even though your bow doesn't have maximum effectiveness.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Boehm
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trondster wrote:
The brute is closest, and is the Focus. The archer would only move onto a trap to get in range of its focus if there are no possible ways to get in range of its focus without entering hazardous spaces.

So - the archer will attack the brute with disadvantage.


Exactly.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M T
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Given that the instructions state on the end of p29 that determining focus is not about which character is nearer, but rather which character can be brought into attack range with the fewest number of movements, wouldn't it attack the highest initiative value instead?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trond Roaas
Norway
Kongsberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrimsonKurenai wrote:
Given that the instructions state on the end of p29 that determining focus is not about which character is nearer, but rather which character can be brought into attack range with the fewest number of movements, wouldn't it attack the highest initiative value instead?

No - read the text in the rulebook (this is second printing, I believe), page 29:
Quote:
A monster will focus on the enemy figure it can perform its current attack against using the least amount of movement. It finds the shortest possible path to get in range and line-of-sight to use its attack, and the figure that can be attacked at the end of that path is the focus. This enemy figure is considered the “closest.” It doesn’t matter if the monster can’t get within range to a ack with its current movement, as long as there is a path to eventually get within range.
In the case where the monster can move the same number of spaces to get within range (and line-of-sight) of multiple enemy figures (e.g., because it starts its turn within range of mutiple enemies), proximity from the monster’s current position (i.e. number of hexes they are away, not counting through walls) is then checked as a tie-breaker for determining “closest.”


So - first number of steps to get within range, second distance in hexes and third initiative (top of page 30).

The archer will attack the brute.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M T
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Trondster wrote:
CrimsonKurenai wrote:
Given that the instructions state on the end of p29 that determining focus is not about which character is nearer, but rather which character can be brought into attack range with the fewest number of movements, wouldn't it attack the highest initiative value instead?

No - read the text in the rulebook (this is second printing, I believe), page 29:
Quote:
A monster will focus on the enemy figure it can perform its current attack against using the least amount of movement. It finds the shortest possible path to get in range and line-of-sight to use its attack, and the figure that can be attacked at the end of that path is the focus. This enemy figure is considered the “closest.” It doesn’t matter if the monster can’t get within range to a ack with its current movement, as long as there is a path to eventually get within range.
In the case where the monster can move the same number of spaces to get within range (and line-of-sight) of multiple enemy figures (e.g., because it starts its turn within range of mutiple enemies), proximity from the monster’s current position (i.e. number of hexes they are away, not counting through walls) is then checked as a tie-breaker for determining “closest.”


So - first number of steps to get within range, second distance in hexes and third initiative (top of page 30).

The archer will attack the brute.


Ah, I was reading the first edition rulebook. You are correct.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom H
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RoboQuest wrote:
If it moves to avoid disadvantage on the brute cragheart, it will get stunned and end up doing nothing. Attacking up close with disadvantage also doesn't make sense.
ftfy
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.