Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious what people's recommendations were for smart, modern abstracts (post Euro design aesthetic).

I know very little about abstracts, aside from Chess, so I'm open to any and all.

The three on my radar already:

Tak

Tash-Kalar: Arena of Legends

And then a Japanese game whose name I've forgotten where you draw cards to determine the moves of your pieces that turn (otherwise it seems very chess like). Anybody care to help me identify this one?

Anyhoo, thank you, one and all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moy Uba
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
YINSH and TZAAR from the GIPF series are really great. i'm willing to bet the other games in that series are good too, but those are the only ones i've played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
Check me out on Instagram: @WisdomForWizards
badge
"Behold, a treasure more valuable than gold."
mbmbmbmbmb
moyuba wrote:
YINSH and TZAAR from the GIPF series are really great. i'm willing to bet the other games in that series are good too, but those are the only ones i've played.

I was going to point you in this direction as well.

A quick search of the Gipf project on google will net you this link: http://www.gipf.com/

These are all widely acclaimed abstract games. Yinsh is the one I see most commonly suggested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
The Japanese one sounds like Onitama, which is a great game.

Aside from that my recommendations are ZÈRTZ (and the rest of Gipf games) and Santorini
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
+1 for the GIPF series

The Duke which has a lot of expansions

Jarl: The Vikings Tile-Laying Game similar but w/ a Viking "theme", actually essentially the same game w/ different tiles/moves, made out of different material
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arimaa
DVONN
+1 Tak
+1 Onitama
+1 TZAAR
+1 ZÈRTZ
+1 YINSH
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Santorini if you play a best of 3 game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Dearborn Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Fizzgig need food badly!
badge
Click on Fizzgig to feed him a tasty snack. Nom, Nom, Nom!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going to repeat what has already been suggeted and recommend The Duke and the entire GIPF Project series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Zollinhofer
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tintas is great and if you play best of 3 it is in that time frame. I love it because you can play it during a lunch break or spend more time and do a best-of series. I have 100 plays of it and still enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
The Evil... The Chaotic... The Wallaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hive
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XendoBreckett wrote:

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Yeah, find which GIPF you'd like best and pick that one.

Otherwise take a look at the Nestorgames catalog and see if one of those catches your eye. There's plenty to choose from.

And +42 to Hive of course.

Oh right, Tintas as suggested above by Brian has really caught my eye.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chad winters
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Santorini is by far and away your best bet. If you haven't tried abstracts it's easy to understand and get into , plus a ton of gameplay in the box

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
checkrazor76 wrote:
Santorini is by far and away your best bet. If you haven't tried abstracts it's easy to understand and get into , plus a ton of gameplay in the box

Except it plays much faster than the OP was looking for. As already commented, "Best of three" may fix that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rohlfo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always been intrigued by Tash Kalar as well, but always unsure. Thankfully, got to test it on here which gives a good feel for the game: https://en.boardgamearena.com/#!gamepanel?game=tashkalar
hope that helps, "try before you buy!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that Hive and the Gipf series should be your starting points.

Tash-Kalar is a vastly underrated game in my mind. But it's also a little weird in that it does have a fantasy theme and does have randomness in the form of cards drawn, too. It's not as "pure" as most abstracts are.
That being said, I think the game is fantastic, and very deep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Village Idiot
United States
Palm Harbor
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the Crown (Second edition)

Plays in about 60 minutes
2 player only
Deck Builder (like Dominion) meets Chess

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Feeser
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While it is a little shorter than you were looking for (so just do a best of 3 or 5) I have to agree with all the recommendations for Santorini, if you can still find a copy available that is.

Also, I know this doesn't help you right now but another option to keep your eye on is the upcoming Tao Long: The Way of the Dragon. In fact, even though the Kickstarter campaign for the game (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gonab/tao-long/descript...) has long ended you can still late pledge for the retail edition at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Welch
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Kamisado has a chess-like feel, but is very unique. It's easily one of my favorites for a two-player abstract. Also, +1 for Hive which has already been mentioned

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Gunther Herzog
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zertz is my favorite in the GIPF series. That feeling you get in checkers when you see a triple or quadruple jump open up? Take that feeling and multiply it times 100. Now add a board that shrinks as you play. And, components that travel well when you skip the box and just stuff the spheres and disks into one of those zippered travel shaving kits.

Hive is best (IMHO of course) with all three expansions, ladybug, mosquito, and absolutely the pillbug, which adds a whole new level of depth.

The classic Twixt doesn't exactly meet your post-Euro criteria, but continues to be awesome. Recently introduced a bunch of young kids to it at a public library game event and it went over really well. Kids were getting into it, and parents walk by kind of amazed that their Game Boy addict is playing... "Wait, this looks like a game for adults?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thurling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Does the excellent Element not qualify

Would also recommend Tak

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.