Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Folkert
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does such a game exist? I love Starcraft: The Board Game, but sometimes the kingmaking at the end gets on my nerves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
You may want to try a game like Axis and Allies Global 1940.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Or even a game like Eclipse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willett
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoffreyB wrote:
Or even a game like Eclipse.

This is a good one.

Scythe is also good (would need expansion for 6 players) - but its more economic and less about fighting (though there is fighting).

I would recommend A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition), but I think Kingmaking might be the point there...

Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) - is another great game, but continues to have similar issues.

Dominant Species - maybe my best recommendation, the cards can give a lot of power though, and if you want to pick on someone, you still kind of can.

If a player decides they want to give up and do some kingmaking, most of these games don't have means to stop them from doing so, as is the case with many FFA games.

It would be hard to prohibit players from kingmaking in a FFA game, because that would then limit the "free" nature of the game. As someone else who loves the Starcraft game, sometimes galaxy setup and board position could trap a player between two foes. Or, sometimes people naturally edge one direction for a high-value planet.

Some of these games mitigate that in various ways, but ultimately kingmaking is done by the players. So if it is an issue with your group, you might want to mention that you don't want people giving up and joining up with someone to help them win, since it is a free-for-all game. I think some level of it might come with they style of game though. A verbal contract of "let's not attack each other while we deal with Red who is getting too strong over here" is fine and good, and also just as easy to betray as it is to create.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Drog
United States
Jacksonville Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quartermaster General. If you have 6 players, you owe it to yourself to play the best boardgame at that number.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mdrog2 wrote:
Quartermaster General. If you have 6 players, you owe it to yourself to play the best boardgame at that number.

Great 6p game but not a FFA (which I assume means "Free For All").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nukesniper wrote:
If a player decides they want to give up and do some kingmaking, most of these games don't have means to stop them from doing so, as is the case with many FFA games.

I can't think of a FFA game that prevents kingmaking either, but I haven't played them all so I could just be ignorant.

Quote:
Some of these games mitigate that in various ways, but ultimately kingmaking is done by the players.

Agreed.

And what about inadvertent kingmaking--is that an issue too? That's basically unavoidable in any game that has direct conflict.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warrior Knights Plays 6 out of the box and is great. It is better with the expansion. Warrior Knights: Crown and Glory

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Unless there is absolute zero interaction, no competition for resources, etc. how can a six player non-cooperative game not have kingmaking? It's not possible, is it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.