Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
RyuSora
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I loved the theme, i love cooperative games, i loved the mechanisms of this game, the whole card play and how you get stronger during the game, I really enjoy medium/heavy euros that have a play time around 2h. And the fact that the designer is present in this forum is a HUGE PLUS for me. So basically this game have a lot of what i like.

Here is my questions

I mainly intend to play it as a 2p game. Does it work nice with 2p?

I want to read the rulebook and play the game, i saw a lot of rule questions and whole page of FAQ... are people simply missing rules and overthinking simple concepts or is the rulebook bad written? I really have a problem with bad rulebooks.

Well, those are my 2 questions.

Thnak you all for helping me decide!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
The problem in the equation is people. Eliminate that, everything works.
mbmbmbmbmb
I played it 2 player and loved it. Assuming neither one of you tries to be a super boss (which is hard to do in this game anyway) you should have a ball.

The rules are pretty clear but some of the concepts are tricky. All the questions I had I was pretty sure I knew the answer, but just wanted to confirm it. I've seen most of the rules questions follow a similar line: they think they've got it right, and they do, but they just wanted to make sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dougan
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of my games have been 4P, but I played a 2P with my son yesterday afternoon while my daughter was at a friend's house, and he wants to play again. (For those who know, Vital Strength & Lightning won, but into invader deck Stage III.) I didn't notice a dramatic difference in difficulty between the 2P and 4P games.

The rulebook is well-done, and has a QR code to an online living FAQ that's designed to be accessed during play. And I agree, probably 85% of the questions either here or at the Greater Than Games forums are people trying to confirm they did something properly, especially when there are corner cases involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
ryusora wrote:
I loved the theme, i love cooperative games, i loved the mechanisms of this game, the whole card play and how you get stronger during the game, I really enjoy medium/heavy euros that have a play time around 2h. And the fact that the designer is present in this forum is a HUGE PLUS for me. So basically this game have a lot of what i like.

Sounds like a good match.

Quote:

I have played 2P and 3P and it was quite fun at both player counts.

Quote:
I want to read the rulebook and play the game, i saw a lot of rule questions and whole page of FAQ... are people simply missing rules and overthinking simple concepts or is the rulebook bad written? I really have a problem with bad rulebooks.

In three games, I've only had one minor question. I think people are overthinking it as the rules seem crystal clear in general.

The only potential drawback I see to the game is that the freeform card play can lead to AP, which I think some people would find annoying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Maltman
Canada
RICHMOND HILL
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes to everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ryusora wrote:

I feel it plays best at two players. Solo is fine, and goes quickly, but is a bit lacking in complexity and doesn't offer the ability to see cool synergies between different spirits. Three and four players starts getting complicated with everybody trying to coordinate their powers, especially the ones that modify how other spirits can play their powers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Arenson
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Santiago wrote:
ryusora wrote:

I feel it plays best at two players. Solo is fine, and goes quickly, but is a bit lacking in complexity and doesn't offer the ability to see cool synergies between different spirits. Three and four players starts getting complicated with everybody trying to coordinate their powers, especially the ones that modify how other spirits can play their powers.

I think 2P is a really excellent way to learn this game -- all the fun decisions that a higher player count has, but with a smaller decision space to think about while learning the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Eric Reuss
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Many thanks to everyone who's chiming in!

Two of the top playtesters are a couple who probably play 90%+ of their games as 2p together. They still enjoy playing for fun even after hundreds of games. :-)

ryusora wrote:
i saw a lot of rule questions and whole page of FAQ... are people simply missing rules and overthinking simple concepts or is the rulebook bad written?

As others have said, a lot of it is people confirming their understanding of the rules. There are a couple ambiguities that slipped through in the rules; in addition to clarifications in the online FAQ, the publishers are making edits and will hopefully post a revised rules PDF soon.

Because it's a searchable site rather than a printed document, we're erring strongly on the side of inclusion for the online FAQ, even when the question is answered by a careful / strict reading of the rules - there's much less downside to adding lots of answers, since you don't have to wade through 10 pages of irrelevant questions to find what you're looking for.

(We've gotten some compliments on the rulebook, so I feel pretty safe in claiming it's not downright terrible. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Maltman
Canada
RICHMOND HILL
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darker wrote:
Many thanks to everyone who's chiming in!

Two of the top playtesters are a couple who probably play 90%+ of their games as 2p together. They still enjoy playing for fun even after hundreds of games. :-)

ryusora wrote:
i saw a lot of rule questions and whole page of FAQ... are people simply missing rules and overthinking simple concepts or is the rulebook bad written?

As others have said, a lot of it is people confirming their understanding of the rules. There are a couple ambiguities that slipped through in the rules; in addition to clarifications in the online FAQ, the publishers are making edits and will hopefully post a revised rules PDF soon.

Because it's a searchable site rather than a printed document, we're erring strongly on the side of inclusion for the online FAQ, even when the question is answered by a careful / strict reading of the rules - there's much less downside to adding lots of answers, since you don't have to wade through 10 pages of irrelevant questions to find what you're looking for.

(We've gotten some compliments on the rulebook, so I feel pretty safe in claiming it's not downright terrible. :-)

The rulebook is very good. People are just trying to make sure of things, and as soon as they start spelling out the question the answer is usually clear if you looked back to the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RyuSora
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all! I will definitely get a copy of this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.