Subject: Just purchased - Excited to learn how to play and give it a try! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lee Swain
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Just waiting for my download link.

Been looking for a replacement to HeroQuest for some time. I re-purchased HeroQuest a few years back to introduce my son to this type of board game and he absolutely loves it. He is 9 now and is getting really good at board games. He even DM's HeroQuest for his friends.

So I knew it was time to move him on to something more advanced as HeroQuest starts getting a bit boring. The combat is far too simple and the game is far too easy IMO, once you learn to block the door and tank with your Warrior that is.

Rather than paying over the odds for games I have played and loved that are no longer in print (Advanced HeroQuest and Warhammer Quest), I have been looking for the best new Dungeon Crawl games out there, preferably one that we can play co-op without a DM.

I did not want Descent because we already have Imperial Assault and while we like it, we don't love it. I feel like removing the Star Wars from the game will not make it any better, and from my understanding Descent is slightly inferior anyway and I have heard a few other complaints that put me off.

I was going to get Dungeon Saga, but from what I have read it is only slightly more advanced than HeroQuest and it is a bit pricey.

I really am looking forward to getting Gloomhaven when it becomes available again. Although I am unsure if it will be too complex for my son yet.

In the meantime, I grabbed WarhammerQuest The Adventure Card Game and we have been loving it. But I also stumbled upon this. It seems like the perfect solution to my problem. Everything I read makes it sound like exactly what I am looking for, and even the print and play aspect works for me as I already have a ton of miniatures and a modular board from upgrading HeroQuest that will work perfectly.

So while it may take me a few weeks to get around to playing (hooked on the WarhamerQuest card game right now), I look forward to posting my review of the game and if it is as good as I hope, spreading the word.

If this game is as good as it sounds then Alex Bermudez deserves a lot more exposure for the game. Especially when you see the insane amount of success games like Gloomhhaven and Kingdom Death: Monster had had in recent years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a very very underrated game.if your ok with printing all the stuff for it.you wont be sorry.and I agee Alex has made a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
parabolee wrote:
...Rather than paying over the odds for games I have played and loved that are no longer in print (Advanced HeroQuest and Warhammer Quest), I have been looking for the best new Dungeon Crawl games out there, preferably one that we can play co-op without a DM.

You should also look in to Shadows of Brimstone, it's basically a re-implementation of Warhammer Quest only using an Old West/Cthulhu setting. If you prefer fantasy a stand alone expansion called Forbidden Fortress, set in medieval Japan (but with magic and oni), is slated for early next year.

parabolee wrote:

I was going to get Dungeon Saga, but from what I have read it is only slightly more advanced than HeroQuest and it is a bit pricey.

Good call, Dungeon Saga is not worth the money. Especially don't get the Adventurers Companion expansion, it's full of errors and rules that were never playtested. It was honestly a complete mess and it's utterly deplorable that Mantic continue to actually sell it to people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex bermudez
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hey guys, thanks for the kind words! Hope you enjoy playing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Swain
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Have not played yet but I have started reading the rules and preparing all the material.

Here is what I have done so far -

Got myself some poster board for the dungeon pieces (even though I already have a HeroQuest modular board, I want to have the choice to use the designs from this game). I am going to print laminate and then mount to poster board. Which should give me some very professional looking game pieces.

Printed out all manuals and have ring bound them, including laminating the map and rules contents for easier reference.

Purchased some sleeves for the cards to make sure they are nice to use and durable.

Creating some custom dice for the 50/50 (1-3 fail & 4-6 succeed) rolls (which appears to be most rolls from what I have read).

Working on some custom full-colour art for the back of the cards

Once I have everything ready I will take some pictures to post, including the miniatures I have that will be used to play.

My initial impressions from reading the rules (about 20 pages in but have jumped around too) are very positive. Seems like an excellent balance of simplicity and depth. Exactly what I was looking for, I especially like the addition of some role playing rules. I am already looking to set up a regular weekly game!

Will report back more later.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Warfield
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to your print outs! Would like to know how everyone goes about printing things the most frugal yet most impressive looking way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Swain
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
I have been laminating everything. I printed all the cards on card stock and laminated them and then used a cutting board to cut them out.

This may sound expensive but it's actually pretty cheap (details below). The biggest expense is access to a printer that can print on both sides, although if you have the patience you can use a regular printer and just print all the backs first and then the cards onto the same sheets by reloading them.

To be honest I believe the card stock was overkill for the cards as the laminated paper is about as thick anyway. Either way they look great and feel like professional cards. Printed them at half size too, did not feel I needed all those massive cards for such a small amount of printed information. This way I could print 2 sheets a page (with 2 pages of backs on the reverse). Came out great.

I have used the same process but with regular paper for the dungeon tiles too.

I have just finished laminating and cutting everything. I am now making a custom box to hold everything.

All in all, it was not very expensive at all (even more so because I could use work supplies and printer). It was however VERY time-consuming. Probably at least 6+ hours to print, cut and bind everything.

Will post images of the finished set tomorrow.

For anyone wanting to do the same, you can get a laminator for under $20 and 100 sheets for about $12

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-PL9-US-Thermal-Laminator...

https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Laminating-11-4-Inches-100-Pac...

I would also HIGHLY recommend a guillotine too or cutting them will take forever and not come out as nice -

https://www.amazon.com/Swingline-Trimmer-Guillotine-Capacity...

I'll be happy to share my custom box art and dice designs too once everything is done.

As cheap as $15 is for this great game, you are still looking at ~$60 to print it right (not to mention the time commitment). Another reason a Kickstarter would be great, I would have paid $80 for a professionally produced version. The Kickstarter could even offer tiers for anyone wanting a cheaper version. So for maybe $20 they just get professionally printed manual and game board pieces? More for cards, even more for all parts and miniatures?

It is such a shame the time commitment for preparing this game is probably a massive hindrance to people discovering and playing it. I have not even played a game yet but just finished reading the rules and can already tell that it is WAY better than probably every other Dungeon Crawl game out there right now.

Pics to come!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.