Robert B
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Last played this in 2013. Times goes by fast...

What rules are on your table this month?

Subscribe to this thread to be informed of the new list each month: Rulebooks on your Table Subscription Thread
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There has been a resurgence of interest for Axis Empires here on BGG. I even got to see Dai Senso played at Origins. High time to get this into the rotation

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Who's the master?
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Started studying the rules of Fields of Fire.

After one reading of the rules (Version 2017), I determined that the only way I was going to figure out this game would be by going through one of the missions step by step (I have the 2008 edition).

So this is what I did and by the time I had reached turn number 10 I believe I had pretty much grasped the big picture of what this game is all about.

(There are a bunch of smalls details that are still fuzzy, though.)

In the case of Fields of Fire, the learning is in the doing.

cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
barteus wrote:

Gotta try and trade for this soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Blackford
United States
Englewood
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hi-diddly-ho, neighborino!
badge
"I'll have a Shirley... No, a virgin... No, a children's... Oh, what the heck? You only live once. Give me a white wine spritzer! "
mbmbmbmbmb

I got the (hopefully) Final Rules printed out, so it's time to tackle the changes. I'd had only 1 learning game in prior to the finalized rulebook, so I get to learn it all over again!

I managed to snag the 2nd ed. for a shockingly low price, months after I'd been considering paying 2-3X as much for the same game. Having played D-Day at Peleliu a number of times, I doubt it's going to take long to get it to the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Hansen
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Well, technically the series rules...

With the spending freeze my wife and I are under we'll see how long it takes for me to pick up the game, but after Hollandspiele's last ACW game, which I loved, I can't resist reading about their newest effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ric Manns
United States
Scottsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Fields of Despair and hope to give Bull Moose a spin as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lewandowski
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting caught up on some old SPI (Simulations Publications, Inc.) games:

Road to Richmond

Stonewall: The Battle of Kernstown, March 23, 1862.

(Incidentally, I am looking for affordable copies of Blue & Gray and Blue & Gray II as well).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Hederer
Switzerland
Wollerau
Schwyz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Capitaine Conan," by Roger Vercel (1934).
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking forward to giving the newly published Gorizia 1916: La sesta battaglia dell'Isonzo a try later this month. I really liked Andrea's Strafexpedition 1916, and I'm hoping this is as good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I have just completed reading the rulebook in the midnight morning today. There have been many praises that many things people want about WWII eastern front have been infused into this 30 pages something rulebook. It is true. It integrates command problem, operational doctrine, supply, i.e. the big picture issues, I would say, closely, while "de-emphasizing" the "intricacies" of final engagement outcome with a comparatively straightforward "CRTs". Right, there are two CRTs for both sides, depending on the time in which the engagements are conducted. And yes, there are many time-specific rules in here. Better to get download of some DIY reference sheet online to smooth the game progress. Overall, my impression of the game is positive. I will soon know how does it fare against the classic Russian Campaign or the designer's own Stalin's War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hoare
United Kingdom
Chippenham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I've just finished basing my Russians, only the flags to go. My friend's Swedes are almost ready to go. Time to remind myself how it works.

Now that the table is free of modelling stuff it's time to revisit 'Victories' with the newer rules.

Just fiddling with some house rules for spotting and initiative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cavallari
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Yes, I'm late to the party, but I bought No Retreat! The North African Front first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP Laurio
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As it was mostly rainy and cold here during my summer vacation, I went ahead and started to learn this:

Great game!

Also preparing for our first Campaign Game in Stalingrad:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosecrans man
United States
Norridge
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, it's back to Saipan: The Bloody Rock,

and Revolution Road,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jb jeanba
France
flag msg tools
Elusive Victory

Still trying to find some time to play cry

edit : learning how to insert a geek image
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb

Day of Days: The Invasion of Normandy 1944

Almost finished punching the counters...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Doran
United States
Columbia
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doing perhaps an odd thing. Comparing the games of Axis Empires:

And those from Avalanche:

Specifically comparing how the cards from Axis Empires and the chit draws from the Avalanche games compare in effects. Just a first glance leads me to guess that the Axis Empires cards are more impactful on the games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Irsik
United States
Clearfield
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I don't think this game is hard to play, but the rulebook is dense and a bit hard to get through. The situation seems pretty interesting and there appears to be some novel concepts here, so I'm going to slog through it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Carey
United Kingdom
Worcester Park
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got a 3-player game of this planned for Thursday so busily reading the rules:

One of many games I've owned for years and never played. The rules seem pretty clear and it's interesting how the game handles the problem of having to provide for such a large number of scenarios covering such a long time period. I'm curious though to see what will happen if one player holds off with a view to letting the other two hack each other to pieces and then moving in to mop up the remains - or even worse, given that the game allows alliances, if two players decide to gang up on the third to knock him out of the game and force him to sit through the final confrontation.

The scenario we have chosen is the Septimius Severus-Pescennius Niger-Clodius Albinus civil war of the 190's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
"The only thing worse than fighting with Allies is fighting without Allies." Winston Churchill
mbmbmbmbmb
For the past several months I've been playing a ton of Unconditional Surrender! World War 2 in Europe and Fighting Formations: Grossdeutschland Motorized Infantry Division. Last month I started going through the rules for Saipan: The Bloody Rock, which is now on the table. Next up in the rules queue is

Scott and I hope to start playing via Vassal by next weekend. Woot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike E.
United States
Lorton
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Have really been looking forward to this game as I love the COIN series and this topic has always intrigued me. Am reading

and

to give me context. Read A Savage War of Peace years ago and enjoyed it--somewhat tough slogging in places, but it always picked up so I was able to finish it.

Am particularly looking forward to playing this game solitaire against just one 'bot. Thanks for bringing this to the table, Brian Train!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Keizer
United States
Creswell
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Punching and clipping counters for Britain Stands Alone...

...which I picked up last month. Except for the remnant of my original AH/SPI collection -- a mere handful of titles -- this is the oldest game I've got.

Reading the rulebook now, about 1/4 of the way through. Seems pretty straight-forward, but looks like air/sea detection and counter-detection will lead to copious die chuckin'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew L.
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
Sword, Board and Pen
badge
Hey! I run a board game blog at swordboardandpen.com! Come check it out!
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally starting to learn the rules for

Really looking forward to it and to The Greatest Day: Sword, Juno, and Gold Beaches (which I picked up on the cheap from MMP).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Technically on my tablet, but I want to be prepared.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.