Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Thompson-Wood
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That, at time of writing this (July 31, 2017) not ONE of the people that has rated this game a 10 has made any comment about actually having played it? Any of the comments talk about their excitement for the game.

I am not seeing what all the fuss is about, personally. But that's just my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spazzfist wrote:
That, at time of writing this (July 31, 2017) not ONE of the people that has rated this game a 10 has made any comment about actually having played it? Any of the comments talk about their excitement for the game.

I am not seeing what all the fuss is about, personally. But that's just my opinion.

Lots of awesome monsters to paint.
A fairly easy game that looks awesome, and my kid will be able to 'get' and enjoy.

Also, my package hasn't come yet, and very few people have actually received theirs. Perhaps give it a bit of time before you start griping about peoples ratings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Thompson-Wood
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghool wrote:
Perhaps give it a bit of time before you start griping about peoples ratings.

I think my griping is justified. To be fair, I also think it's unfair when people will rate a game a 1 just to "balance the ratings". I assume then, that you are one of those 10's. Well, it is your prerogative to rate it what you like, but for me personally, I will only rate a game after I have played it.

And I also reserve the right to gripe about anybody who does otherwise! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spazzfist wrote:

That's because it's so good they are all playing it non-stop! No, but in all honesty Ghool is right. Only Australia has gotten more than a few copies of the game. The vast majority of the world is still waiting for theirs. I will say of the reviews/first impressions I have read, people have almost exclusively good things to say about the game. There have been very few major gripes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Spazzfist wrote:
Ghool wrote:
Perhaps give it a bit of time before you start griping about peoples ratings.

I think my griping is justified. To be fair, I also think it's unfair when people will rate a game a 1 just to "balance the ratings". I assume then, that you are one of those 10's. Well, it is your prerogative to rate it what you like, but for me personally, I will only rate a game after I have played it.

And I also reserve the right to gripe about anybody who does otherwise! laugh

I would see your point, except this happens for every game that has some degree of pre-release buzz. MD is just like every other game, so why make it the focus of your gripe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Thompson-Wood
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
deathleech wrote:
I will say of the reviews/first impressions I have read, people have almost exclusively good things to say about the game. There have been very few major gripes.

But I find it difficult to accept a rating, let alone a rating of 10 for a game which someone has not actually played. That is all I am saying. I was very excited for "Endure the Stars" and there were many positive things being said about that before it came out. But, after I got mine it only took me three plays to realize what a massive disappointment it was.

I'm just making an observation. Nobody who has rated it a 10 has given any indication of having actually played it. That's all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Enter something witty here
badge
These aren't really my legs
mbmbmbmbmb
I went through the comments a week or two ago. Most people had added comments from kickstarter backing or their pre-play opinions. I still think very few people have the game, let alone have had time and friend/group availability to play.. I mean AU just got it last week which gives them a few days to plan a weekend gathering?

Give it time, people will play the game and their reviews, not comments, will indicate whether or not they liked the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Thompson-Wood
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
I would see your point, except this happens for every game that has some degree of pre-release buzz. MD is just like every other game, so why make it the focus of your gripe?

A fair question. I guess my answer would be that it is at the top of the "hotness" list and I was curious to see what some of the thoughts were now that it is being released.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spazzfist wrote:
Dormammu wrote:

A fair question. I guess my answer would be that it is at the top of the "hotness" list and I was curious to see what some of the thoughts were now that it is being released.

You should check out this thread, or this section of the MD forums which has some other impressions and reviews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Thompson-Wood
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
deathleech wrote:
You should check out this thread, or this section of the MD forums which has some other impressions and reviews.

Cool. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Jackson
Australia
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I think i may rate this a 9 or 10, but I have only played two and half times (set up in the table from a restless baby) and didn't think it fair before I really see all the game has to offer.
For me the game is fantastic, an all around improvement on Zombicide, my only gripes so far are that I have been too tired to absorb all the rules correctly and that I have no need to play Zombicide again but feel compelled to keep it for the crossover!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dreadknot Knotdread
Canada
Markham
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spazzfist wrote:

I rated it a 10 because I want it at the top of the hotness when it arrives so I can sell my 2nd copy on eBay more easily. I'm honest about what I'm doing and my reasoning. The system allows me to do it so I'll adjust my rating after I've actually played it a few times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Paul
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Spazzfist wrote:
Dormammu wrote:

At the risk of getting caught up in this hot topic, I think I agree with your overall sentiment, Spazzfist. If BGG is to be held in high esteem as the source for member-voted rankings, then a policy of vote-first-play-later favours hype and marketing rather than quality gamecrafting...potentially. It seems to me that games climbing The Hotness lately tend toward little more than dungeon-crawly RPG-ish WOW-LOOK-AT-THE-PRETTY-FIGURINES-ing for the low-low price of $200+.
Not to mention clever marketing ploys like my personal gripe, Raxxon.

But that's just my opinion. My point is, I think this is a valid discussion. Thanks for putting your neck out, Spazzfist. Kudos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's at the top of the hotness due to the number of page hits, not the ratings. It's place in the ratings is entirely different.

Also, if you read the comments, if anyone leaves them, you might gain an understanding of why they have rated it a 10 before playing.
The reason it's a 10 for me and my son is due to anticipation, and desire to play. Take a look at the rating system, and that's how it's designed to work.

The rating is the user's desire to play the game. For me and my son, it is very high. We anxiously await our package and will probably play it non-stop for several days. After which I will adjust my rating if needed, and add more comments.

If me using the rating system how I want doesn't work for you, then just read my comments. There's much more information to be had than just a raw number.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Bandage
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clubspecialbee wrote:
If BGG is to be held in high esteem as the source for member-voted rankings, then a policy of vote-first-play-later favours hype and marketing rather than quality gamecrafting...

BGG rankings reflect the attitude people have about that game, not the quality of the game. I really wish more people understood this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Wilhelmi
Germany
Husum
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do not forget that some people bought multiple copies to make some money or at least get their own game for free. High ratings on BGG help a lot on eBay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghool wrote:
Also, if you read the comments, if anyone leaves them, you might gain an understanding of why they have rated it a 10 before playing.

Yeah, that. Myself, I find the *negative* Personal Comments far more useful than the numbers, and just as useful as the reviews. If you're going to drop $50, much less $150, on a game, might as well take the time to read the Personal Comments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimhalo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
General rule for me is to ignore the BGG rating for at least 1-2 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky W
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was cured from bgg ratings when I saw how this guy rated: Smjj

Till today he rated 7425 games with an average rating of 1.16

He gave
97.5% a 1,
1.4% a 10
while never giving 6 to 9 to any game.

He got my attention when the average rating of Sword & Sorcery dropped a huge amount from one day to another.

Everybody uses a different scale to push gaming fun in a number.
So I also only rely on reviews (and more reviews than just one or two).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Saco
Argentina
flag msg tools
Spazzfist wrote:
I also think it's unfair when people will rate a game a 1 just to "balance the ratings".

What?? people really do that? My god that's a stupid thing to do
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Raps
Netherlands
Vlijmen
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PabloSL wrote:
Spazzfist wrote:
I also think it's unfair when people will rate a game a 1 just to "balance the ratings".

Welcome to the internet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Thompson-Wood
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PabloSL wrote:
Spazzfist wrote:

Yeah, there is (at least) one guy who posts every game as a 1 until it reaches a certain number of rankings, which in his not so humble opinion is a fair rating based on number of votes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spazzfist wrote:
deathleech wrote:
I will say of the reviews/first impressions I have read, people have almost exclusively good things to say about the game. There have been very few major gripes.

But I find it difficult to accept a rating, let alone a rating of 10 for a game which someone has not actually played. That is all I am saying. I was very excited for "Endure the Stars" and there were many positive things being said about that before it came out. But, after I got mine it only took me three plays to realize what a massive disappointment it was.

I'm just making an observation. Nobody who has rated it a 10 has given any indication of having actually played it. That's all.

If you're buying games based on what other's rate it, you must only buy the games which have the highest ratings.
Honestly though, why does it bother so many people what some one else's opinion is?

It's a number on a screen, and has absolutely ZERO meaning without context or comments. Why put so much stock into a 2 digit number on your screen?
I research games I might be interested in, and couldn't care less what the rating is. What do people say about it? What kinds of games do the people who have rated it highly like to play? What kinds of things those who rated it low like to play?

See, it's all about comparison and contrast of opinions.
The numbers nigh-meaningless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Thompson-Wood
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghool wrote:
If you're buying games based on what other's rate it, you must only buy the games which have the highest ratings.
Honestly though, why does it bother so many people what some one else's opinion is?

It's a number on a screen, and has absolutely ZERO meaning without context or comments. Why put so much stock into a 2 digit number on your screen?
I research games I might be interested in, and couldn't care less what the rating is. What do people say about it? What kinds of games do the people who have rated it highly like to play? What kinds of things those who rated it low like to play?

See, it's all about comparison and contrast of opinions.
The numbers nigh-meaningless.

I don't buy games solely on the rating, but I would be lying if I said that I did not look at in the process of making my decisions. I understand that the ranking system is pretty broken, but it doesn't stop me from wishing that it was more meaningful. To that end, I will only rank and comment on games that I have actually played.

You are not going to change my opinion, no matter how many times you post, just as I am sure that you are not going to share my opinion, so let's just be good Canadians and agree to disagree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
msg tools
badge
It's so FLUFFY!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't use the BGG rating system to decide what games to buy, I read the forums, comments as well as watch YT videos about it to form an opinion as to whether a game will be a good fit for me/my family/game group.

Everyone uses the rating system differently in how they rate a game - play value, anticipation/excitement, quality of components, legacy aspects, if it has an app. I read a lot of ratings/comments of people that do not own the game but it's instantly a "1" because it's legacy and they don't want to wreck their game OR hate that it can't be played again. Same goes for games that require an app, people are super worried about the app not working one day or not wanting a device in their game so rate it a "1" without ever playing it. You'll see lots of these types of ratings on games like Pandemic Legacy, Charterstone, First Martians...

I remember when Twilight Struggle was bumped from the #1 spot and tons of TS fans went and rated Pandemic Legacy a 1 to try and lower it, which in turn had PL fans rate TS a 1. Some even created second and third accounts to add more "1" ratings to PL. It was ridiculous.

Anywho, after a couple of years, the rating for a 'new' game tends to balance out between everyone else's rating 'styles'.

Edit: typos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.