Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicholas Cheung
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all:

I just realized that there is a strong chance that work commitments will preclude me from Essen Spiel this year.

I just noticed that Oct 25 to 28 are the dates for Essen Spiel 2018, but is that confirmed?

Is there a date determined for Essen Spiel 2019 yet?

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristoffer Nilsson
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last year you could find the schedule on the Messe Essen webpage before it was announced on Spiel webpage. Seem that you can only see fairs for 2018 so far on that page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that some years ago you could look ahead 2 years, so there might be some contract re-negotiation going on right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Bohne
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What's strange though is that the 2018 date is October 25-28.

For the last couple of years, Spiel used to happen on the middle weekend of the 2 week long autumn school holidays. The date mentioned above is the last weekend of the school holidays though.

Perhaps they're targeting to have Spiel always on the last weekend of October?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dasher47051 wrote:

I went back into my email archive and Spiel 2004 was on October 20-23 - another random pick of Spiel 2011 : again 20-23

As long as they manage to pick at least one of the 2 weeks of the school holiday, it's fine by me - I remember a Spiel or two where that wasn't the case, with the result that on Saturdays you simply couldn't move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Bohne
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
dasher47051 wrote:

I went back into my email archive and Spiel 2004 was on October 20-23 - another random pick of Spiel 2011 : again 20-23

As long as they manage to pick at least one of the 2 weeks of the school holiday, it's fine by me - I remember a Spiel or two where that wasn't the case, with the result that on Saturdays you simply couldn't move.

Trouble is that the holidays are moving targets.

Autumn holidays 2004: Oct18-30 -> middle weekend
Autumn holidays 2011: Oct24-Nov05 -> first weekend

I can imagine that exhibitors prefer a bit more consistency with regards to dates...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario
Germany
Lauffen a.N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
the following link already mentions a date for 2019, but I wasn't able to validate it on any of the offcial websites

http://www.expodatabase.de/messe/spiel-internationale-spielt...

the website is in german, but under the section "Termin" you can see the dates for the years 2017 - 2019.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giocando Si Impara
Italy
Bologna
flag msg tools
mbmb
Take a look here: https://www.messe-essen.de/messeplatz-essen/messen-kongresse...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miles Tek
msg tools
mb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
dasher47051 wrote:

Maybe you will have this problem next year again. Only three german states (Northrhine-Westphalia, Berlin and Brandenburg) will have school holidays at that time, so I guess that many families from other states will pick the weekend for a trip to the Spiel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Mathes
Germany
Essen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
dasher47051 wrote:

The problem is that the sheduling of the autum school holidays is one of these Bundesländerabstimmungsprozesse (negotiating between the states of the German Föderation). So they might change the holidays in Northrhinewestfalia back to the middle of the month some day. But not next year.

Ciao

Martin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Soares
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pentaclebreaker wrote:
Bundesländerabstimmungsprozesse

Jesus Christ!! Is this just one word?? wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Aries
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PEdorido wrote:
Pentaclebreaker wrote:

That's not long though?

Then again, just like German, in Dutch there are no 'longest words' because theoretically you can just keep going. 40 letter words can be quite common, in certain fields.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Winston Spencer
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PEdorido wrote:
Pentaclebreaker wrote:

And, maybe, this isn't it final form
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PEdorido wrote:
Pentaclebreaker wrote:

There's alse the famous law with the official short title
"Rinderkennzeichnungs- und Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz"
(full title: "Gesetz zur Übertragung der Aufgaben für die Überwachung der Rinderkennzeichnung und Rindfleischetikettierung").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mankin Chan
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Just missed the convention this year, so great to know the dates for next year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.