Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ash Night
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone gone to PacificCon in recent years (Santa Clara, CA), and would they say that it's a good convention for open table board gaming? I'm not much of a war gamer so wondering if it's worth purchasing a ticket and going.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McCloud
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pacificon doesn't have table flags like DunDraCon or Kublacon, so if you are looking for players I advise you to create your own Players Wanted sign.

Last year the tables in the hotel foyer, open gaming room, and hallway were full much of the con. I think it was busier with the demise of Celesticon. I assume it will be similar this year, although I heard they are supposedly adding more table space.

Sometimes people I know go, but usually I am by myself. I have sometimes found it hard to get into an open game as there are a lot of people who are friends, from local Meetup groups, etc. who play with each other at the con. It is also a matter of timing, being in the right place at the right time. Sometimes I am able to hook up with people I have played with in the past.

I am running a lot of sessions this year, so I don't have much open gaming time, but if you are there and looking for a Euro-player, or want to try a game, Geekmail or look me up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Patterson
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will second John's comments.

I have only played a small handful of truly open gaming in my six-seven years attending. Instead, I have mostly selected from scheduled games (many with John) and/or played with friends that I coordinated schedules with to be there.

That having been said, some of my best game experiences there have been a result of open gaming.

Basically, your mileage may vary. It probably also depends on how much of a people person, extrovert you are and how comfortable you are instigating a gaming opportunity (and who is around).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Vicari
United States
California
flag msg tools
Our Turn Podcast - Contributor
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This will be my third PacCon and this year I'm running several boardgames - partly to get a chance to play games I really like, and partially to make some more gaming buddies.

The comment about being an extrovert does help at conventions. That was one reason why I started running games. When you get a seat at a game you like, it's easier to make friends even if you're somewhat of an introvert (which is kinda funny being a podcast contributor...). You have a common ground to start talking and I've always encouraged a lot of small talk while gaming. I'm using it (and the podcasting) to not be so much of an introvert.

PacCon uses a manual sign-up method for boardgames. In front of the game library will be a different colored binder for each day, and the games that are being run are in chronological order. Each sheet has a max number, but I would still sign (and show up) for games that are full, as sometimes people overbook themselves or just pass to get some sleep/food. GMs will sometimes hold 5min or so after the start time for stragglers and if there is space will go by sign-up sheet order to fill the slots (at least that's how I run my games).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vin

San Jose
California
msg tools
mb
I have never been to this convention. I am thinking of going Sunday. I would be willing to dish out $40 if its going to not be too hard to sign up for hosted games (as described by Frank) and have a full busy sessions throughout the day. I am semi-extroverted but doesn't guarantee tables will be full. I don't have a group I will go with nor do I want to gamble/deal with trying to find a group there.

I don't have any preference on games as long as my day is full with gaming. $40 is a lot for me especially since I could use that to buy a brand new game, so I want to ensure its being put to good use.

I wish all conventions used the looking for players flags, it seems so basic to have and promotes inclusiveness. Who is organizing this, maybe its not too late for them to add this

What do you all think? Would I be able to get some games easily if I sign up at the library?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Patterson
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My recollection from last year is that:

Sunday AM games, the signups become available on SATURDAY evening.
Sunday PM games, the signups become available on Sunday morning (probably 9 am).

You can peruse the list of events scheduled at https://pacificon.conreg.net/reg/Events.asp

I will agree with Frank that it is good to sign up for and show for games even if you would be deep on the "wait list". Frequently people won't show up, or are still finishing a game when there next scheduled game comes up.

If you are interested in any of the tournament games, it looks like many still have first rounds on Sunday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls