GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,612 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Our Turn! Women on Gaming Podcast» Forums » General

Subject: Party Games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cathy Ford
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
Our Turn! Podcast
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We would like to include your names and (if possible) your voices on the show. We'd like to get your written or audio responses to this question:

What are your favorite party games and why? Or, if you don't like party games, why? If you need a definition of a Party Game, check out this one on BGG: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamecategory/1030/party-game

To participate you can do ONE of the following:

* Call 916-426-2873 and leave your answer as a message no longer than 1 minute.
* Record your response and save as an MP3 or WAV file no longer than 1 minute and email it to Feedback@OurTurnPodcast.com
* Post your response here on this thread

We need your responses to this question no later than Friday, August 4, 2017. We'll use the responses in Episode #41.

We look forward to hearing or seeing what you have to say on this topic.

meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Palmatier
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At first, I was going to say that I don't like party games, but there are a couple I like that are classified as party games on BGG (but I would say they are social deduction).

The Resistance, Coup, One Night Ultimate Werewolf Daybreak, Saboteur, Good Cop Bad Cop, & Ca$h 'n Guns (Second Edition).

I don't normally like party games, but apparently I can go for a good social deduction sometimes. Just don't make me play it 3+ times in a row. These type of games are normally good for high player counts.

The reason I don't like other party games is that they seem to need no skill or strategy and usually hinge on luck, like with Apples to Apples clones where everyone may have good card, but someone happened to draw the perfect card, or random trivia knowledge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like a lot of "light" games but generally "party" games are too light for me. Anything that takes multiple minutes to explain isn't really a "party" game by this metric; I'd certainly be hesitant to get out The Resistance or Colt Express for a group of non-gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tajemnicze Domostwo, which is the original game that Mysterium is based on (they changed some of the art, and some of the gameplay, although I am not sure how, because I haven't played the English version). It is best described as a cross of Dixit and Clue and is completely language-independent, which is why I have been able to play the Polish version.
It plays up to 8 and has been a hit with almost everyone I've played it with, gamer or not. It is so funny when people try to interpret the Dixit-like hint cards go in an entirely different direction than intended!
We've now played it so often that we know the cards a little too well, but it is still always a go-to game for high player counts.

I suppose Sushi Go Party! isn't really a party game, but it's certainly a gateway game and works at high player counts. It's drafting and set collection game; pretty basic, but quite challenging and really fun!

I am very interested in trying Insider, but that hasn't yet happened (I know nobody who owns it and haven't yet pulled the trigger myself).

---
While we're sort of on the topic: Visitor in Blackwood Grove is not really a party game because it only goes up to 5, but it will also work well with non-gamers and it's by the designers of Monarch, which you quite liked, Cathy, if I remember correctly?
It's currently on Kickstarter and I am quite tempted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrienne Dong
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played too many party games, since I haven't been to many parties. But I have played and enjoyed Telestrations in a smaller setting.

And from the descriptions, I think I would like Word Slam and Wits & Wagers Party.

Oh, just remembered Happy Salmon which I played at Board Game Blitz Con. It was fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Palmatier
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gswp wrote:
I am very interested in trying Insider, but that hasn't yet happened (I know nobody who owns it and haven't yet pulled the trigger myself).

After finishing listening to episode 41, I just wanted to comment that I've played Insider, and it suffers from people not knowing enough about the item or how to categorize it. The last time we played, we made house rules to combat this such as being able to say a few other answers other than yes or no. I remember my husband got pet as the word and people were asking specific things like does it have four legs, is it amphibious. He kept saying sometimes. laugh The first time we played there was a whole thing about a fireplace that people kept arguing over whistle

One party game I would like to try is When I Dream. You have 2 teams trying to get a person to guess
(or not guess) certain words, and then the dreamer tries to recall the dream and name each item they got correctly for extra points. It sounds very interesting, and I don't think it would suffer from the same things Insider and Spyfall do. I think someone in my group is going to get it because they also sounded very interested in this game (they also have Insider).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kate H
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm behind on podcast eps again blush but wanted to mention one of my family's favorite party games, Taboo. My mom and I especially enjoy it because it's very similar to the $XX Pyramid game show that we loved watching in the 80s and 90s. (My mom used to even tape a strip of paper across the bottom of the tv screen to hide the word so she could play along.) I think it's still in print, though like Trivial Pursuit, I see lots of inexpensive copies at thrift stores and used bookshops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cathy Ford
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
Our Turn! Podcast
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rivercat0338 wrote:
I'm behind on podcast eps again blush but wanted to mention one of my family's favorite party games, Taboo. My mom and I especially enjoy it because it's very similar to the $XX Pyramid game show that we loved watching in the 80s and 90s. (My mom used to even tape a strip of paper across the bottom of the tv screen to hide the word so she could play along.) I think it's still in print, though like Trivial Pursuit, I see lots of inexpensive copies at thrift stores and used bookshops.

That's a great story about your Mom and the Pyramid game!

Please don't be embarrassed about "being behind on podcast episodes". The neat thing about podcasts is that you can listen whenever you want. The neat thing about our Guild is that you can participate whenever you like. kiss

meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Palmatier
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually alternate which podcast I am behind on, then listen to them several in a row. Being in the guild gives me a nice reminder when the next one is out, though, so I don't lose track of where I left off for these ones whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.