Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Graham Martin
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mild spoiler for 1st scenario of base set!

Playing solo with Roland on 1st scenario of the base set.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I am fighting the Ghoul Priest. I use Overpower and deal the fatal blow to the Ghoul Priest. Which happens first? Does the scenario end or does the Overpower kick in to draw a card before the scenario ends? I ask because I drew Cover Up which, if it is fact drawn before the scenario ends, would give me 1 mental trauma.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Baume
Australia
Lismore
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Referring to the Skill Test Timing chart on pp.26-27 of the RR, ST.6 is when you determine whether a skill test is a success or failure, and then St.7 is when you apply the skill test results. So it would be during St.6 that you would get to draw the extra card for having committed Overpower to the test and succeeded. Then proceeding to St.7 you would apply the results (damage) of the test that kills the Ghoul Priest triggering the Objective and end of the game.

So my take on it is that Roland unfortunately has Cover Up come into play, which can't be resolved, and so gets a Mental trauma.

EDIT: I was wrong...see BD Flory's post below and the FAQ:
"(1.7) Skill Test Results and Advanced Timing
During Step 7 of Skill Test Timing (“Apply skill test results”), all of the effects of the successful skill test are determined and resolved, one at a time. This includes the effects of the test itself (such as the clue discovered while investigating, or the damage dealt during an attack), as well as any “If this test is successful...” effects from card abilities or skill cards committed to the test."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Martin
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sapper_D wrote:
Referring to the Skill Test Timing chart on pp.26-27 of the RR, ST.6 is when you determine whether a skill test is a success or failure, and then St.7 is when you apply the skill test results. So it would be during St.6 that you would get to draw the extra card for having committed Overpower to the test and succeeded. Then proceeding to St.7 you would apply the results (damage) of the test that kills the Ghoul Priest triggering the Objective and end of the game.

So my take on it is that Roland unfortunately has Cover Up come into play, which can't be resolved, and so gets a Mental trauma.

Thank you for your quick analysis. Unfortunately for dear Roland, I think you are right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B.D. Flory
United States
New York
flag msg tools
"If you are successful" effects, such as on Overpower, are applied as if they were the results of the skill test, so it has the same timing as the damage you deal if you are successful.

Lead investigator chooses the order of simultaneous effects. So you may defeat the ghoul priest before you draw the card if you wish, but once you trigger the card draw, you can't go back and decide to apply the damage first instead.

I mean, there's no real reason you would draw that card if you knew you were defeating the priest, but under other circumstances, you have to decide the order of resolution before you know what the card you're going to draw is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Baume
Australia
Lismore
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good catch there BD.

I agree with your post - it's in St.7 that you would resolve the consequence/s of success (or failure) of the test, and for Overpower that's drawing a card (as clarified in the FAQ). As you rightly state if there's multiple results the investigator decides the order of resolution, and should choose to defeat the Ghoul Priest (and end the game) before drawing a card just in case it's a Weakness
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Martin
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bd flory wrote:
"If you are successful" effects, such as on Overpower, are applied as if they were the results of the skill test, so it has the same timing as the damage you deal if you are successful.

Lead investigator chooses the order of simultaneous effects. So you may defeat the ghoul priest before you draw the card if you wish, but once you trigger the card draw, you can't go back and decide to apply the damage first instead.

I mean, there's no real reason you would draw that card if you knew you were defeating the priest, but under other circumstances, you have to decide the order of resolution before you know what the card you're going to draw is.

ROLAND LIVES!!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.