Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: 2017 [+] making_stuff_up [+] [View All]
Michael Vandehey
United States
Wichita Falls
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At the end of the game, neither my wife nor I could place one of the next three tiles (we could afford them) due to our boards being mostly full. Do we just keep hopping each other till the end, or is there a discard rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vash TheStampede
Saudi Arabia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep hopping
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
malllkav wrote:
At the end of the game, neither my wife nor I could place one of the next three tiles (we could afford them) due to our boards being mostly full. Do we just keep hopping each other till the end, or is there a discard rule?

This summary quote from the rules is pretty clear. The words "take and place" do not give any reason to think "discard".

On your turn, you carry out one of the following actions:

A: Advance and Receive Buttons or
B: Take and Place a Patch

Nor is there any later mention of discard. The longer description of action B begins with a sentence that includes the word "must"

This action consists of 5 steps that must be carried out in the given order:

and step 4 is

4. Place the Patch on Your Quilt Board

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malte Brigge
Czech Republic
Havirov
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah but this situation sucks because you just keep hopping each other until the end, making for not very exciting play when there are patches out there that can fit, just none are within buying range for either of us. So we leapfrog each other until the end, which is not interesting. Happened on my first play with my wife after I kept telling her how much she’ll like this game because she loves polyominoes, and then there were just eight rounds of hopping and very incomplete boards. I’m going to houserule that if you each hop each other because no one can buy, you can reshuffle the tiles and lay them out except for the one immediately clockwise from the marker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maltebrigge wrote:
Yeah but this situation sucks because you just keep hopping each other until the end, making for not very exciting play when there are patches out there that can fit, just none are within buying range for either of us. So we leapfrog each other until the end, which is not interesting. Happened on my first play with my wife after I kept telling her how much she’ll like this game because she loves polyominoes, and then there were just eight rounds of hopping and very incomplete boards. I’m going to houserule that if you each hop each other because no one can buy, you can reshuffle the tiles and lay them out except for the one immediately clockwise from the marker.

To have that happen to BOTH of you with eight rounds left is pretty hard to imagine. No offence, but you must have both had remarkably inefficiently constructed quilts at that point. I have never found myself in a position where three patches in a row couldn't fit on my board until the last round or two (maybe three in very rare cases).

I think the better outcome may not be to house rule the game, but to just get better at the game and take it as part of the strategy to NOT let that sort of shut-out happen that early in the game again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.