Scythe» Forums » General

Subject: Can I play this with my 6 year old son? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wim Magermans
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
Okay, first of all, I know it is difficult to say what someone else children are able to do or not. But maybe someone can give some advice and info how they played with their own children?

What I already played with my son (and he can do really good):

- King of Tokyo (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/70323/king-tokyo)
- Lord of the rings (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/823/lord-rings)
- The Hobbit (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/83629/hobbit)
- HP Hogwarts Battle (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/199042/harry-potter-hogw...)

And many other family board games

These games he can play by hart, without me telling him what to do. Of course he cannot read English yet, so anyway I need to play with him.

Do you think Scythe is a game easy to teach? How did it go with your child or family?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My 7yo picked it up pretty quickly, but we usually use the ScytheKick app to play almost cooperatively against several automettas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bettan
Canada
Cote St Luc
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was able to teach and play scythe with my 9 and 11 year old boys (at the time). They both understood it mechanically, but were unable to optimize their actions to build an effective engine.

Obviously results may vary, and it will depend on how they feel about potentially large differences in final scores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcius Fabiani
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
"The game is afoot."
badge
"The game is afoot."
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a kid-friendly version of Scythe: My Little Scythe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradford Shimp
United States
CLYDE
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My 5 year old loves to play games, and he often wants to play Scythe (those are some pretty cool bits to play with).

That being said, the game is definitely on the heavy side for a kid. It does take a while to teach, but you probably just show a young child how to play as you play, so as long as you understand how it plays, that part should be fine.

The thing to watch out for is that Scythe does play long, so depending on attention span, a young child might get bored. Also, there are a lot of choices and a lot going on. They can certainly just focus on a couple of things and have fun, but you'll probably need to help.

I love the idea of playing it co-op against the Automa, as was suggested. Probably going to try this the next time my son wants to play.

All in all, you can have fun playing Scythe with your kid, but you may have to make adjustments and will likely have to help along the way.

That being said, our kids continually surprise us, don't they. I just played a round of The Lost Expedition with the little guy last night (an pretty difficult co-op game to win, and with his decision making we actually beat it). So if you want to play Scythe, and your kid likes games - go for it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't think I've ever known a six year old I would try to teach To play Scythe. Not saying there aren't any out there, but it's complex and relatively difficult to teach any age.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mandilas
Greece
flag msg tools
Carnage994 wrote:
I was able to teach and play scythe with my 9 and 11 year old boys (at the time). They both understood it mechanically, but were unable to optimize their actions to build an effective engine.

Obviously results may vary, and it will depend on how they feel about potentially large differences in final scores.

I concur with this. I taught my 13 year old nephew and we played a couple of games. He understood the game, the rules, the mechanics. He did not, however, develop an efficient gameplan, and his moves were far from optimal. I believe Scythe is a game that a young kid simply could not truly grasp. It's too complicated ever for some adults.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Johnson
United States
Cleveland
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, because the game is long, has lots of choices, and strategy to optimize the engine building.

I taught my 6 yo son because he wanted to play. He grasped the concepts of doing things on the action selection board, but stringing turns together to build up towards getting stars was too much. I usually had to help him because he would freeze up when deciding what to pick from the remaining 3 actions on the board each turn. There is just too much stuff on the game board and too many actions to choose from for him to process. I would usually have to narrow it down to choose A or B so C or D can happen.

My sister refused to try the game because it was "too difficult." My response was a 6 yo can play it, but it had no effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim Magermans
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
Hey everyone,

Thanks for your advice and info.

I bought the game anyway and I'll see how it will go.

I like to play solo as well and I maybe can find some time to play it with my wife or a friend once in a while. So it won't be a waste until my son turns 14 ( or 12 according to the community)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Wim, the ScytheKick app is brilliant for solo play. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom C
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
An option that works well for kids, even though it is a violation of the rules, is to possibly chop down their "winning requirements."

Instead of forcing them to try and plan out how to build a strong enough engine to get 6 stars, can have them shoot for 3. Then during scoring they would just double up their points for stars as if they had gotten 6. This lets them focus on fewer things and start to get an idea of how the game works. (It might even make it more entertaining if they shoot for combat as now you have a little hellraiser running around the map picking fights!)

The other option as many others have mentioned is just playing co-op, where basically none of their actions really matter too much as you are likely to carry the team anyhow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve w
United States
milwaukee
wi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our seven year old has played with us a half a dozen times or so. He watched mom and dad play a TON so was more or less familiar with some of the mechanics, as others have said, he never really comes close to winning at all, but he really likes playing almost any game with mom and dad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Vallina
United States
Buffalo
NY
flag msg tools
if I'm Andy, is Zack April? seems right...
badge
"When I get bummed out, I take my shirt off because the bad feelings make me feel sweaty."
mbmbmbmbmb
I mean only you can determine what your kid can handle. I think the game's intricacies are a little much all at once, but if you give it the time and teach him the game, perhaps as has been suggested above, cooperatively against automa decks until he gets a handle on it...I'm sure he'd enjoy it as much as we all do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.