Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Britannia» Forums » Variants

Subject: Ireland variant - input requested - wer B und C sagt muss auch E und M sagen rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andreas Brueckner
Germany
Loerrach
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I work with some people from this board on a variant that includes Ireland. One question I have and where I would love to get more input stems from the inclusion of different singular events into the basegame.

1) Boudica lead an uprising against the occupying forces of the Roman Empire in AD 60 or 61- this is included in the game.

2) Cadwallon ap Cadfan made war against the Northumbrians between 633-634 and occupied York - this is included in the game.

On the other hand, the brief occupation of the Orkneys by the Roman fleet is missing from the basegame.

With this in mind, should an Ireland variant also include that

3) Ecgfrith King of Northumbria sent a raiding party to Brega in Ireland in 684.

and that

4) Muirchertach of the Uí Néill led a fleet in 941 to the Hebrides and collected a tax or tribute, in other words he asserted his lordship over the area.

And are we maybe missing other interesting ones?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to clarify: FFG, Gibson, or Avalon Hill? meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Brueckner
Germany
Loerrach
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As Boudicca is included, and from the look of some of the teaser material I have posted in the past, its FFG. However, does it make a difference from the history?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H Harengel
Germany
Greven
Münsterland
flag msg tools
this geek loves strategic games
badge
this is an old photography of the young man
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the FFG version on the table once. After that we returned to the old Gibson/WdS version.

No difference from the history - but a huge difference if you take the game as source for your development.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Brueckner
Germany
Loerrach
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True for the basis of the game as source for the variant. For the record, I own both a Gibbson and the FFG game. I play the FFG game for superior components (more color and I play mainly with my kids nowadays) - I keep the other for nostalgic reasons.

Also true if you want to conclude that the earlier versions are in addition missing Boudiccas Revolt as an interesting event.

Beyond that, regarding content, the version is less important to me for input into other relevent historical events people would want to include.

I do realise, that not all the raids and battles can be included in a broad game like Britannia. I am more interested in the little nuggets, that make a game memorable and historical (in the sense of giving knowledge and understanding of relevant history).

I also see them as important to create memorable moments in the course of the game. Something the first two example really do. We likely all remember very successful Belgae revolts, I still remember an AH game, were a fellow student (who played the game for the first time), basically pushed the roman invasion back into the sea with her Belgae and an improbabel string of sixes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H Harengel
Germany
Greven
Münsterland
flag msg tools
this geek loves strategic games
badge
this is an old photography of the young man
mbmbmbmbmb
millenium_baby wrote:
1) Boudica lead an uprising against the occupying forces of the Roman Empire in AD 60 or 61- this is included in the game.

Do you state this is included in an existing version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Brueckner
Germany
Loerrach
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HHarengel wrote:
millenium_baby wrote:

Do you state this is included in an existing version?

Yep, this is part of the FFG version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Noble
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see you have posted a map with Ireland included.

What is the state of the variant - any chance of it being produced somewhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.