Subject: For those on the fence... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shadow ruxer
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, my friend and I just backed the version with all characters. We are both huge fans of The Thing so this game definitely caught our eye.

Our biggest complaints/worries were

1. The artwork looks a little to friendly for a game based on cosmic horror. Even the work we seen of the thing looks like a big old Clifford the friendly red dog. But, oh well, maybe they are trying to target a wider audience so people can play the game with their kids or family without making the squeamish vomit.

2. The lack of any shown or talked about credentials in the board gaming community. We haven't received any reviews from anyone who has played, or done reviews for at least a couple years. And another interesting thing to me is some of the masterminds behind this project are new users on this site, which to many this site is considered the definitive website for board gamers. So my question is if any of these "masterminds" are reading. What are some of your favorite board games? And why? What were your inspirations. Just answering these questions will add some credibility to many on the fence.

Overall though, I think if you all watch the videos of how to play the game and the playthroughs, you should be able to ascertain whether or not the game is for you. Of course we wont know until you play the game for the first time yourself, but you should be able to make a decision for yourself without the need for a "credible" and experienced gamer opinion. Just watching the videos I liked alot of the new ideas that were introduced to co-operative/ traitor games and even if the game becomes a flop for us I am sure the re-sale value will be about the same. I'd say if you are a fan of The Thing, co-operative/traitor games and social deduction, maybe give it a shot, you probably will really enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Becker
Germany
Saarland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the_shadow447 wrote:

2. ...And another interesting thing to me is some of the masterminds behind this project are new users on this site, which to many this site is considered the definitive website for board gamers.

If I may comment just on that part in general. Unfortunately I've to say that I understand everyone who isn't part of this BGG community. I say that, because my personal experience is that it mostly seems to be a rather unfriendly and sometimes offensive place. I just recently asked myself again why I'm actually here giving answers on questions people have and giving my personal opinion on things. I mostly got rude or disrespectful answers because I felt different and were/are overly optimistic about something (like WGT?) like it's a crime, but well, probably people just take my comments the wrong way...
Outside of this BGG forum though I got quite some affirmation about this obversation, both from general people and from game designers.
Anyway, it's just a potential reason for them not being part of this community and I think at least one of them said something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shadow ruxer
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hmmmm, I am surprised to hear that. BGG has been really good to me for years. I do not think I have had any personal issues with other users my whole time here. I would actually even go as far to say this is one of the most mature and classy forums left on the internet.

The only issue I can re-call is trying to post pictures up with an atmospheric blur effect and they were taken down because they were not clear. errrr, that was the point
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Becker
Germany
Saarland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'm sure it's not everyones experience, but it has been mine and it seems of at least a couple of others out there as well I've talked to... Just recently a couple of times here in the WGT? section for me (like for example here: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/26492931#26492931 or https://boardgamegeek.com/article/26503250#26503250).

But anyway, different people, different experiences after all! Just saying for some it seems to be a reason to not be part of this forum...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crane
United Kingdom
Sandbach
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm afraid any internet forum will have it's share of rude and ignorant people. I'm pretty sure those folks wouldn't say what they say to people's faces (If they do, that's likely why they're stuck on internet forums! lol!)

It often depends what you comment on. I'll avoid anything too controversial personally. I was going to comment on the no females in the game thing but stepped away with a shrug for instance

You're always welcome to give your opinion on any of my threads, even if I don't agree with them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Becker
Germany
Saarland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrVarnor wrote:
I'm pretty sure those folks wouldn't say what they say to people's faces (If they do, that's likely why they're stuck on internet forums! lol!)

That's what I always wonder... I'm okay if someones has a different opinion and lets me know about it (and should be the other way around too), but it's not too much to ask for some respect. Anyway, we are messing up Shadow's thread here with half off-topic I guess!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Schmitzer
Germany
Garching
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steven Becker: Your behavier here seems to me like you are on a holy quest to defend this game at any cost. There is no critical posting without a contraposting of you. You can´t stop doing this. And you try to make us believe you are not connected to the makers? You got a new and empty profile here. This is all very suspicious. I guess you are involved in that project and try to fool us. Your bad experience with other users is mostly your own fault.

Woher kommst Du denn in Deutschland und woher kommt die Begeisterung für ein Spiel, dass du auch nur gebackt hast?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marie Petersen
msg tools
@Britzel You just made an example about why people like me try to awoid BGG. It seems like you believe that your believes are the only true believes, and you ridicule people of a different opinion than your own, or try to paint them as an enemy.
If we pretend you are in one end of the specter, then why can't there be people like @Replect in the other end? People that believe in something new and in their opinion nice. People that strive to share their knowledge or make third opinion known in a forum where people should be able to do just that? What is it that scares you? Why does a new and active member absolutely have to be involved with the creators of a game? Because the profile is new (everyone have to start somewhere right)? Because he like the game? Because he states his opinion just like everyone else?

Sorry I went in to rant mode. Stuff like this just irritates me. I feel that it is ignorance speaking and people that go after the user instead of the contents have lost a lot of their credibility. I hope you will read this and reconsider the situation, even though I properly am to new, inactive, commenting the wrong things or something else to matter in your opinion.

Now let's get back to the matter at hand. Sorry Shadow.

PS. Disclosure: I have backed the game(i believe in it and am positive towards it and the creators) and am pretty active in the cove(KS comment section) wherw @replect also is active. I can there for tell you that he is just another normal mortal(backer)

PPS. sorry about grammar and stuff. Just phone, lateness, bad spelling you know
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Becker
Germany
Saarland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ehm, no? You are totally overacting... No post without contrapost by me? Not really...
But keep giving fault statements about what I'm doing here... No offense, but you are just about to be another example related to the topic I've covered above. What's your problem really? That I don't have much/anything to complain so far about this campaign?

Edit: Ich habe aktuell gut 50-60 Spiele gebackt und nur eine Handvoll davon haben mich während der Kampagne richtig abgeholt. Und nur bei diesen bin ich Recht aktiv und entsprechend in diesem Fall auch hier und vertrete meine Meinung, so wie ihr eure Vertreter... Sonst nichts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Schmitzer
Germany
Garching
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@Marie Peterson: You are the second user i suspect to be not what you make us believe. Because of this strange behavier, i canceled my pledge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Becker
Germany
Saarland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you actually listen to yourself? Don't even know what to say about that anymore, feel free to cancel because of weird reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Becker
Germany
Saarland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And just to proof you wrong, but you probably still think then I'm not just a backer without any other connection to this (apart from being a backer)...

https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/replect
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marie Petersen
msg tools
Well I won't cry a river of tears if that you are after. In fact I suspect you were never really a backer. Who know...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Schmitzer
Germany
Garching
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everybody who has a brain between his two ears can go trough the postings and build his own opinion. I´m done with this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Becker
Germany
Saarland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess we are all happy then. You are just the other perfect example of unfriendly people around here. Telling us we are not what we want people to believe, basically saying we are lying.

Edit: And saying we are dumb with that last comment too... You are really a nice guy!

@OP Sorry for that unnecessary mess of comments here, but at least you got the example right in front of you...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marie Petersen
msg tools
Ich spreche auch Deutsch.
Nej jeg gør ej jeg taler dansk, men det hjælper nok næppe på min troværdighed i din optik, vel? Når man først har skabt sin mening, skulle man jo nødig genoverveje denne. Men hav en god aften og god tur hjem.

Edit: sorry Shadow. Try send a pm to certifiably on kick starter. They are usaly very reasonable to backers demands. For what it is worth they have stated in the comments that they under the campaign have played quite a bit pandemic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garruk TheHunter
msg tools
mbmb
Replect wrote:
the_shadow447 wrote:

2. ...And another interesting thing to me is some of the masterminds behind this project are new users on this site, which to many this site is considered the definitive website for board gamers.

If I may comment just on that part in general. Unfortunately I've to say that I understand everyone who isn't part of this BGG community. I say that, because my personal experience is that it mostly seems to be a rather unfriendly and sometimes offensive place. I just recently asked myself again why I'm actually here giving answers on questions people have and giving my personal opinion on things. I mostly got rude or disrespectful answers because I felt different and were/are overly optimistic about something (like WGT?) like it's a crime, but well, probably people just take my comments the wrong way...
Outside of this BGG forum though I got quite some affirmation about this obversation, both from general people and from game designers.
Anyway, it's just a potential reason for them not being part of this community and I think at least one of them said something like that.

I'm curious, how many different people gave you rude or disrespectful answer on BGG? My personal experience on this site is quite the opposite. I don't think you should put everyone here in the same bag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Potter
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Britzel wrote:
@Marie Peterson: You are the second user i suspect to be not what you make us believe. Because of this strange behavier, i canceled my pledge.

Please tell me I'm not the only one seeing the irony here. I'm laughing my butt off.

Do you think Steven is the host and infected Marie?

Disclosure: I have not pledged yet and am undecided. Also my first post since creating a new account after my old account was deleted. How convenient, eh? Plot twist, I'm the Thing that infected Steven.

In all seriousness, I remember being one of the first people to get "the others" (CMON) when pledges arrived and defending that game. The naysayers just galvanize you. It's funny how people on both sides react.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Becker
Germany
Saarland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Garruk wrote:
I'm curious, how many different people gave you rude or disrespectful answer on BGG? My personal experience on this site is quite the opposite. I don't think you should put everyone here in the same bag.

I actually thought I did say already what I'm going to say, but looking at my previous posts I indeed didn't... So, while it may sound like, I don't like to generalize and don't think it's everyone on BGG! I actually have seen nice people too around here, no question about it! The thing is, I'm not very active on BGG, so I didn't get in touch with all that much people, but those few, I feel like 3/5 are either offensive, harsh or just overly negative about something that I wonder why they are actually investing time to be part in discussions about a specific game.
I'm in general a person who rather talks about stuff he enjoys or is optimistic/confident about or if he feels like reasonable critics could actually change something and make it a better game. If I'm sure I won't buy a game or know I won't like it and can't change it, I rather spend my time for something else... Anyway, I'm for certain not the only one with mostly negative impressions, but I'm sure there are those you just have a great time, no question about it.

I wonder how people are in real life, what happened in their life that they come here and say I'm not who I want them to believe just because I'm passionate the game so far and give my opinion.

Anyway, this is not the place for this really. And as said, I rather spend my time for things I enjoy... And explaining myself because someone thinks I'm a liar for odd reasons is not really enjoyable!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Schmitzer
Germany
Garching
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesss, i made it to the helicopter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Dennett
United States
Athena
Oregon
flag msg tools
Seems we got here just in the nick of time. What's that make us?
badge
Yes, it's Johnny Depp photoshopped as Raistlin Majere. Stop staring. :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Britzel wrote:

Dude... paranoid much? If you don't like the game, that's fine. But both Marie and Steven are legitimate backers (not creators nor "Collaborators" as KS labels them), as am I. They are not part of Certifiable Studios. But, they are huge fans and fiercely loyal. That is their only "crime".

Shame on you for accusing them of being misleading, and making them defend their right to love a gaming company, however new it may be. yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ess Why
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Replect wrote:
And just to proof you wrong, but you probably still think then I'm not just a backer without any other connection to this (apart from being a backer)...

https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/replect

Wait, why is "who goes there?" part of your user name?

I have no dog in this fight. I just think if you are trying to convince people you are not involved, you probably shouldn't have the name of the game as part of your user name

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marie Petersen
msg tools
I think he just do it for fun, and exposure. Like when he comments on another KS and people go huh? What is his name? What is that game?
At least name changing is a big part of the comments in the WGT kickstarter. Just take a look, there are a 100 related names from "(o)(o)(o)“ and "frosted Brownies" to "who goes the? Not the thing" or "certifiable remote intern"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Becker
Germany
Saarland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
esswhy wrote:

Wait, why is "who goes there?" part of your user name?

I have no dog in this fight. I just think if you are trying to convince people you are not involved, you probably shouldn't have the name of the game as part of your user name

I'm involved in that I'm a backer who very much enjoys the campaign itself and what he seen and heard (from those who actually played it) so far from the game... All that so much that I wanted to support and push the campaign, especially since it wasn't going nearly as strong as I felt it deserves (if you look at the first 2 weeks and then how it's going now on Kicktraq you'll see what I mean).

In the end, that just lead to that I changed my name for the time being so people perhaps stumble upon the campaign when I comment in other running/closed campaigns I'm involved in (just not with as much passion like in this one right now)... Basically what @Marie said.

If you aren't aware of it, you can change your name on KS in an instant and as often as you'd like to...

And this should have never been a topic and I'm sorry that this messed up this thread kind of, but I don't feel like I'm the one to blame really... I won't be silent if someone wants to imply I'm a liar and not who he wants people to believe. What is this place really?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marie Petersen
msg tools
A rough draft of the rules have been added to the campaign page. That might help you decide if you want to join or not

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.