Frank Calcagno
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, nobody will listen to my rants, but that doesn't mean I can't make a fool of myself.shake

We've heard it; many people do not like the rule book. Let's move on.

One thing to do: DON'T ENGAGE!
When someone posts, "This rule book sucks because..." simply ignore the post and stop trying to defend why the rules are okay. Every time someone responds, it generates self-value and rebuttal...then more defending...then more rebuttal. IT WILL NEVER END, AND THERE WILL NEVER BE 100% HAPPINESS.

If nobody responds, the thread will eventually die from neglect. But when you respond, it brings it back to life, and the circle of life begins anew.

Once general release happens, this will start all over again. So, decide among yourselves: how many pages of threads are we going to dedicate to a dead horse?gulp DON'T ENGAGE!

If someone asks a legitimate question, like "where in the rules does it talk about "!" " then fine, they are asking for help. But let's stop legitimizing simple bitching. For God's sake, please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Burgess
United Kingdom
Chichester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome back, Frank. Haven't seen you in a while

P.s. Played Probe on the Loose the other day - it was awesome!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Calcagno
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Was wondering if anyone would notice the crazy person was gone... I was in California on business for 10 days. The worst part? I was separated from my beloved First Martians.cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Calcagno
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Probe is one of my favorites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, anyone that complains about the rulebook after seeing how Robinson Crusoe's rulebook came out the first time must have been in denial that it could possibly happen again. For them, I'd say to just wait a couple of years and there will likely be a 60-page searchable FAQ for this one too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Conrad
Canada
Sudbury
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Antares Rangers wrote:
Alright, nobody will listen to my rants, but that doesn't mean I can't make a fool of myself.shake

We've heard it; many people do not like the rule book. Let's move on.

One thing to do: DON'T ENGAGE!
When someone posts, "This rule book sucks because..." simply ignore the post and stop trying to defend why the rules are okay. Every time someone responds, it generates self-value and rebuttal...then more defending...then more rebuttal. IT WILL NEVER END, AND THERE WILL NEVER BE 100% HAPPINESS.

If nobody responds, the thread will eventually die from neglect. But when you respond, it brings it back to life, and the circle of life begins anew.

Once general release happens, this will start all over again. So, decide among yourselves: how many pages of threads are we going to dedicate to a dead horse?gulp DON'T ENGAGE!

If someone asks a legitimate question, like "where in the rules does it talk about "!" " then fine, they are asking for help. But let's stop legitimizing simple bitching. For God's sake, please.

When the retail release comes out, a new Thread should be started called "Retail release questions"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With 3000 blind playtesters playing the game now I'm sure there'll be a perfectly edited FAQ/App/Rulebook (downloadable) for those buying the retail version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I pre-ordered a retail copy of this game but was chafing at the delay of it arriving in Canada. In retrospect, this delay is a blessing as I've been watching with increasing dismay the reception to this game. I did not like Robinson Crusoe and this seems like Crusoe 2.0.

A badly written rulebook with a FAQ booklet that's likely going to run into pages upon pages is not what I signed up for. If you bought this and want to stick with it either through a desire to find the gameplay (which I'm sure undoubtedly exists) or as a a means of reconciling yourself to the sunken costs paid into it; then I truly hope you find the game is awesome but personally I don't have the patience for this kind of stuff anymore - the bar for gaming is now higher and there's tons more stuff out of there vying for my time and attention.

I've since cancelled my preorder
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SaMatra wrote:

A badly written rulebook with a FAQ booklet that's likely going to run into pages upon pages is not what I signed up for.

Well, unfortunately, past performance is an indicator of potential future performance. Robinson Crusoe has a 60+ page FAQ that I personally appreciate having. To think that this game, which is basically RC in space, wouldn't need one is being rather unrealistic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
Well, unfortunately, past performance is an indicator of potential future performance. Robinson Crusoe has a 60+ page FAQ that I personally appreciate having. To think that this game, which is basically RC in space, wouldn't need one is being rather unrealistic.

Color me naive but I would have thought that the publisher/designer would have learned lessons from their prior release; considered the criticisms made and used that knowledge as a starting point to make improvements to its successor.

By your logic - once something has been created, future efforts derived from that work are always going to be cut from the same cloth with no improvement in design. No one ever learns from prior art or their mistakes.

Further, First Martians was supposed to be different not only in terms of implementation (the app and campaign for instance) but also theme (Mars is a particular topic of interest of mine) so I was prepared to give it the benefit of the doubt and not award it the name of "RC in space"

Consider my eyes to be donning the spectacles of cynicism from this point forward. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, it's been my experience that they don't learn. Even when offered the option of another set of eyes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.