BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Are you a gamer or a shopaholic? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
None of your business

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mb
Do you buy games because you love gaming or because you're addicted to shopping and/or collecting things?

I've noticed some people have hundreds of games they never intend on playing. Many of their games are still in the shrink wrap, or rarely get played, yet they are buying even more; whereas others game regularly and may have a much smaller collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hundred threads on this already if you're bored and noone answers you here.

I love shopping/geting deals on/collecting things I want to use. Best of both worlds. I am limited by the number of people lining up at my door asking to play my games. (Zero)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
None of your business

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mb
scifiantihero wrote:
Hundred threads on this already if you're bored and noone answers you here.

I thought about that after I made the thread. whistle

Thanks for the heads up though and the comment!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of people here also have hundreds of games and actually do play them, keeping the ones they will continue to play and getting rid of the ones they won't. I game pretty much every evening, even if it's just for 20 minutes, and I've played some 95% of the games in my collection.

Now if you want me to discuss my real "wall of shame" I could discuss the number of books I own that I still haven't read. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Carpenter
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm definitely a gamer.

There are several games I would like to get but I know there'd be very little chance of getting them played so I don't bother.

Oh, and I've played all my games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If other people would play more you wouldn't be asking me this question...

Pete (can buy alone, but needs accomplices to play)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Gagnon
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Graphic Designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I started as a gamer and by the time passed, I realized I spend more time reading rule books and watching Rahdo & friends videos than actually playing games.

I don't have time to play, and my girlfriend don't like board games as much as I do so when the children are asleep I fill my need for gaming by watching videos, browsing kickstarter and reading rule books of games I don't get to play.

I have more than 30 games in my collection I never played. But none of them still in shrink. I like to unwrap, unpunched and organize them too much. Then after, I put them back on the shelf.

I like to do math trades too.

So i'm more a shopaholic i think!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
None of your business

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mb
cbazler wrote:

Now if you want me to discuss my real "wall of shame" I could discuss the number of books I own that I still haven't read. blush

Funny thing is I also have a bunch of books I have yet to read. I even have library books, that are now due back, which I haven't even touched.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven J
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
When I first started a couple of years ago I bought a couple of games a month because I had nothing to play. Then I realized I had no one but my wife to play with on a regular basis. Now I'm thinning my collection and adding to it slowly and strategically.

Although the actual game playing is the main purpose and draw, I also like researching(to death), shopping, waiting, receiving, opening, punching, learning, teaching, and finally playing the games. The whole process of getting a new game is fun. I also like upgrading, expanding and even creating custom inserts for the games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
*twitch* *twitch*

ARE YOU SAYING I HAVE A PROBLEM!?! I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM!!
YOU HAVE A PROBLEM, NOT ME! I HAVE JUST ENOUGH GAM....

Ooooooh....shiny...

*twitch*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to be both, but I quit cold turkey...

... the shopaholic part, not the gaming part. I got to the point where I was just buying $100+ worth of games to get the free shipping and not playing 80% of them.

I stopped buying board games in October of 2015, and have only received them as gifts or birthday presents. Every once in a while I feel this nagging pain like I want to go buy some more (usually when I see something really interesting in the Hotness list), but so far I've passed the willpower checks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
None of your business

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mb
Does anyone believe that focusing more on buying than gaming has more to do with the deteriorating face-to-face social connections of today's age?

Just a thought...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
InfinityReborn wrote:
Does anyone believe that focusing more on buying than gaming has more to do with the deteriorating face-to-face social connections of today's age?

Just a thought...

Maybe yes, maybe no. I think people are just so excited about games that they want to buy a million of them, but it's a niche hobby (picking up popularity, sure, but still not extremely wide spread, as opposed to watching movies or reading books). And unlike many hobbies, our hobby relies largely on having others to enjoy it with -sans solo games- and not everyone wants to play these types of games. I think most of us as gamers really want to play games with other people. Even for the antisocial ones, it's a way to interact without feeling awkward.

To answer the original question, I am more of a player than a shopper. I got caught up into the shop-shop-shop thing for a while, but when I see games not getting much love on my shelf it makes me sad, so I try to buy only games I think will get played a lot. Still, I find myself buying a new game just about every month whether I mean to or not. So maybe a little bit of a shopaholic? But I do play my games! Nothing in my collection is still in shrink.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My name is Brant, and I'm a game-o-holic.

Oh wait, this is shopoholics, I'm in the wrong room!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
InfinityReborn wrote:

Just a thought...
No.

Overwhelmingly, people who buy board games still play board games. Face to face isn't really an issue for them (solo gamers excepted, but even they aren't contributing to social decline).

Pete (thinks you'd have a better argument over in the video gaming world)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
InfinityReborn wrote:

Just a thought...

I'd say it has more to do with conditioned, emotionally reactive marketing than anything. We are all conditioned to react emotionally to everything in our world.
It's marketing like this that creates compulsive buying patterns. Companies play on impulsiveness and emotions to generate sales. If they didn't people would think for too long before making a purchase, and likely they would lose a sale.

This is today's world. The best you can do is try not to fall into the emotional reaction pit, and look at purchases through a lens of logic - how often will I play this? Do I really need another '__________' type of game? Is this game too similar to what I already have?

If advertisers allowed you enough time to think about those things, and stopped conditioning people from a very young age to be impulsive, and reactive, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
None of your business

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mb
Ghool wrote:
InfinityReborn wrote:

Just a thought...

I'd say it has more to do with conditioned, emotionally reactive marketing than anything. We are all conditioned to react emotionally to everything in our world.
It's marketing like this that creates compulsive buying patterns. Companies play on impulsiveness and emotions to generate sales. If they didn't people would think for too long before making a purchase, and likely they would lose a sale.

This is today's world. The best you can do is try not to fall into the emotional reaction pit, and look at purchases through a lens of logic - how often will I play this? Do I really need another '__________' type of game? Is this game too similar to what I already have?

If advertisers allowed you enough time to think about those things, and stopped conditioning people from a very young age to be impulsive, and reactive, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Great comment.

I agree wholeheartedly. Buying is largely an emotional thing. I remember reading an article refuting the whole "buying a home is a good investment" belief. The author actually went on to show how most people buy homes based on what is called "the pride of ownership"; which as you just said is more emotional than economical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a gamer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gentry
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
If a game is good enough, it will come back in print. -Vasels Law
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jobby wrote:

There are several games I would like to get but I know there'd be very little chance of getting them played so I don't bother.

Has been my struggle for the past 2 years but can say I have done very well so far in 2017.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Allen
United States
La Canada Flintridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am definitely a gamer, but I have been buying way more games lately than I will be likely to play for quite a while, and I am a wee bit ashamed of it. The only two things I will say in my defense are

1) that I always look for bargains--I buy used games or clearance games primarily from eBay, Craigslist, or this site's market. And I sell games I don't think I'll ever play again.

2) I like to think I am "laying down a wine cellar" of games for my kids. My son, 6 is way more into video games, but my daughter is 10 and is just now, very slowly, beginning to get into board games. I am planning and hoping for a time when we are a little more mature and ready to sit down for a few hours of intense gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
This year I'm a gamer. I will probably buy only one game this year. If I get a windfall that will change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter - Bits77
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love gaming.

Even when I was a kid, stuck in a small town in the pre-internet world and with no realistic access to hobby 'zines and their mail order temptations, I still bought quite a few games. Several a year. All new at retail.

Now, with greater disposable income, ready access to a worldwide secondary market and the ability to comparison shop numerous outlets, and the pricing advantage increased competition, direct retailing, and increased consumer access brings ... hell, yes, I buy more games.

And yes, a portion of the purchases are in the collecting vein.

I play games daily, enjoy all aspects of games, their design and manufacture.

And no, not a shopaholic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Kennedy
United States
Cleveland
Tn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
InfinityReborn wrote:

Just a thought...

Participating in the whole hobby exposes board gamers to new games all the time. Podcasts and video reviews are about new products. The site is filled with ads and content about the newest releases. If you dig further into the Geeklists, forums, and board game rankings, you run across information about thousands of games that you likely do not own.

All of these investigative activities of the hobby can be done individually. Playing games however most frequently requires organizing groups together to play. So, it is easier to look into board games (and then purchase them) than it is to play them.

You end up with people who buy games then because they want to play them, but even with the best intentions they often don't have enough time or opportunities to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valdez
msg tools
Habilis wrote:
I am definitely a gamer, but I have been buying way more games lately than I will be likely to play for quite a while, and I am a wee bit ashamed of it.

This is something I just don't understand.

I can sort of understand why someone might be proud of or have a sense of achievement from having played every game he or she owns.

But I don't understand why such an achievement seems to enable some sense of moral superiority (implied by tonality and subtext) over people who have not chosen to play every game they own.

Likewise, I don't understand why anyone would feel shame at owning a game he or she hasn't yet played.

And I don't understand why the repeated emphasis on this binary partition between "gamer" and "collector."

Do I have some sort of character defect?

Do I need enlightenment of some sort?

Is collecting now a bad thing?

Why is just playing a better thing?

I read these threads in an attempt for enlightenment, but so far that's proven elusive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Weed
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have lots of games that would be impossible to play over time. My defense is that I read rulebook like others read normal books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.