heyyouyeahyou 12
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the base game that is sold via retail worth the price? Is there enough of a game to pick it up? Or is this one of those games that unless you got in on the KS, it's not worth it? I'm really intrigued by everything I see but I'm worried that it won't be worth it for just the retail (and I hate paying crazy Ebay prices).

Can anybody help me out? Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M V
msg tools
mbmb
KS exclusive stuff are:
the ugliest hero out of 14 (5 retail plus more in expansions i suggest to buy the big expansion with 5+ more heroes)
1 totally useless but extremely cool cloth bag i still have to figure out how to use....
1 bigger box that still won't hold stuff inside (retail heroes and expansions will have more convenientseparate boxes)
1 really helpful cardboard stand to put cards into during game (but you can buy something else).

thick cardboard hero sheet instead of thin ones....

as you might see except the organizer stand everything else is more than useless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
heyyouyeahyou 12
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's great to hear! So, basically, I can pick up the base game and then the expansions as they come out and it doesn't look like I'd be really missing out on anything much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fire
United States
Warwick
RI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The bag is for the criticals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M V
msg tools
mbmb
omegalife2002 wrote:
That's great to hear! So, basically, I can pick up the base game and then the expansions as they come out and it doesn't look like I'd be really missing out on anything much.

Almost as i said the organizer for cards is really useful for preparation so i recommend using something else to do the job

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
omegalife2002 wrote:

Pretty much. Kickstarter backers got it faster, but (assuming you don't pay MSRP for everything) you'll get it cheaper if you go retail and have a little patience.

Gremlin Project learned their lesson with Galaxy Defenders (there was a ton of Kickstarter exclusive content for that one, which was really offputting to a lot of people once it hit retail).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dreux Barbier
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the card holder useful but you can also use a business card holder to do a similar thing if you don't have the KS one:
https://www.amazon.com/Source-Tiered-Acrylic-Business-S24/dp...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Klinton
Sweden
Mölnlycke
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Also you get quite a bit less heroes from retail version! So not that much to choose from. I am very much waiting for addons to be available for us retail buyers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M V
msg tools
mbmb
Godvillig wrote:
Also you get quite a bit less heroes from retail version! So not that much to choose from. I am very much waiting for addons to be available for us retail buyers!

Hero expansion is ready and coming to retail soon afaik.
So you get just 1 less hero and its the ugliest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kand Affar
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
The only thing gameplay-wise you can't get retail is the Tristan hero. That said, he might be released as a companion for retail rather than a hero, so you could probably get his companion token and find out what his KS exclusive hero powers do and just proxy him anyway.

VonDodo wrote:
as you might see except the organizer stand everything else is more than useless.

The stand is cool and useful, but also extremely annoying since it doesn't fit in the box after assembled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything fits if you throw out the two inserts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan Bertrand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
omegalife2002 wrote:
Is the base game that is sold via retail worth the price?

An even more striking question when the base box sold $65 in the US sells €115 in Europe.

(Sorry for the rant.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gorka Morka
Germany
Bavaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Herman92 wrote:
omegalife2002 wrote:

An even more striking question when the base box sold $65 in the US sells €115 in Europe.

(Sorry for the rant.)

Hmm... strange. And there I thought Germany was part of Europe. https://www.fantasywelt.de/Sword-Sorcery-DE
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I actually think the best thing about the KS version is the thicker cardboard for the hero dashboards. Seems like the thin cardstock version would be really annoying to use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dieter van Loon
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmb
Herman92 wrote:
omegalife2002 wrote:

(Sorry for the rant.)

It's 64€ in my local gamestore for the english version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan Bertrand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gorkar wrote:
Herman92 wrote:
omegalife2002 wrote:

(Sorry for the rant.)

Hmm... strange. And there I thought Germany was part of Europe. https://www.fantasywelt.de/Sword-Sorcery-DE

Oh - wow! That's neat! (And yes, I too believe that Germany is part of Europe. )
Thanks for the link! (So it's 85€ for the English version, +13€ shipping for me. Yikes.)

Exuldur wrote:
It's 64€ in my local gamestore for the english version.

FLGS search: no results found. (I mean - I have one FLGS, but English games don't hit shelves that often heredown, unfortunately.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dieter van Loon
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmb
Herman92 wrote:

FLGS search: no results found. (I mean - I have one FLGS, but English games don't hit shelves that often heredown, unfortunately.)

You can check http://www.boardgamegeneral.eu/
They are selling it for 76€. Not certain how much they charge for shipping however.

If you pay with a bank transfer you can also add DISC005 as discount code to get a 5% discount, bringing the game to 73€.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan Bertrand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exuldur wrote:
Herman92 wrote:

You can check http://www.boardgamegeneral.eu/
They are selling it for 76€. Not certain how much they charge for shipping however.

If you pay with a bank transfer you can also add DISC005 as discount code to get a 5% discount, bringing the game to 73€.

Nice! Shop bookmarked. :-) (It's 7€ through Mondial Relay, for other French readers, and even zero above 100€ orders.)
Thank you, Dieter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.