Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexandre Limoges
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
To those in whom the will has turned and has denied itself, this our world, which is so real, with all its suns and milky-ways — is nothing. [A.Schopenhauer]
mbmbmbmbmb
How does the Exceed mode work in Season 2?
I thought that there was one thing I did not find really exciting in Season 1, it was the Exceed mode. Flip the card and get a slightly better Unique ability. I found myself thinking: this would be much better with a much stronger ability, but a temporary effect, instead of a permanent one...

I read what I could find on the KS, but there seems to be two different things: transformation and Exceed, and I am not sure how it works...

Thanks,
Alex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In super basic terms, exceeds in Season 2 are still permanent (not temporary), but they tend to change the way the character plays in a more drastic way than in Season 1. They also tend to be more expensive.

If you hit with a card with a "transform" ability, it sits in front of you, giving you a permanent bonus, AND making your exceed cost 2 less.

The text below, from the KickStarter Update #3,(at this link) explains in much greater detail:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/level99games/exceed-sea...

Transformations replace Boosts on Special Moves. If a character possesses any cards with Transformations, they also have a Transformation Area. Cards in the Transformation Area provide an additional, continuous benefit to the player, and work much the same way as character abilities.

At the end of a strike, when an attack with a Transformation hits the opponent, the player who played it may choose to place it into their Transformation Area instead of their Gauge Area. If a player has both copies of a card with a Transformation in their hand, as an action they may discard one of these to put the other one into their Transformation Area directly from hand.

A player can only have one copy of each named card in their Transformation Area. If a second copy would enter their Transformation Area for any reason, it is placed into their Gauge instead. For each Transformation a fighter has in their Transformation Area, the cost of using the Exceed action decreases by 2 Gauge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Rosander
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Overall, transforms act like a bunch of different Unique Abilities that get added to your character over the course of the game.

The Exceed abilities in S2 are often meant to be more powerful with several transforms in play and actually worse without them.

Minato gets his Exceed as kind of a temporary ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.